Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantsandyarn

Questions about aluminum strainer & boiling canned goods.

PlantsAndYarn
11 years ago

I know cooking your tomatoes in an aluminum pot is not a good idea, but what about using an aluminum strainer with the tomatoes? I have an old, large one (just like the one in farmerboybill's auction pic). I like to cut up the tomatoes & drain the juice off first. My plan for next year was to cut them up, leave in strainer overnight in fridge, then can them next day. Since this is an aluminum strainer is that a bad idea?

Also, everyone says that boiling home-canned goods for 10 min. will kill the toxins. Is that 10 min. before adding anything else or just 10 min. total? I am thinking in terms of making chili, spaghetti sauce, etc.

Thanks.

Comments (5)

• malna
    11 years ago

You mean the one with the star-shaped punching (I call that a colander)? I have a bunch and use them all the time for draining tomatoes, shredded zucchini, etc.

I don't notice any weird flavors or anything. I just don't like cooking or heating up any acidic ingredients in aluminum pots.

I think the boiling for 10 minutes is a total of 10 minutes whether you've added anything or not.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Just for clarity that is 10 mins of boiling home canned goods AFTER opening the jars.

Some seem to think that boiling the foods BEFORE putting them in the jars makes them safe to can however they wish. It doesn't.

Some sources say 10 mins., some say 20 mins. but either way it is an active boil for the full amount of time regardless of added ingredients.

But if they are properly canned and processed in the first place then you don't have to worry about it. :)

Dave

• readinglady
    11 years ago

It depends on the density of the food, so something like creamed corn would be 20 minutes whereas tomatoes might be 10.

As Dave said, boiling before canning does not make them safe. All boiling does is kill any active toxins, but the spores are still alive, unaffected by boiling temperatures and can proliferate quite happily in a sealed jar. That's just how they like it.

Carol

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

I wouldn't leave tomatoes in an aluminum colander or pot overnight - I'd be afraid they'd taste metallic the next day (and forever after). What about cutting them up and putting them in a glass bowl or SS pot, then draining them the next day using the Al colander (very brief contact shouldn't matter) if that's the only type you have?

• PlantsAndYarn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, it is the strainer/colander with the stars on it. My kids call them drainers, lol. I did use it to drain the tomatoes before canning them this summer. I just didn't know if it was a good idea to leave them in there overnight. I like to use it b/c it is so large & I think it looks cool. It's not the only one I have. I kinda collect kitchen "goodies". I do have a very large plastic one I could use.

The boiling question was about using tomatoes after they were canned. Since everyone told me my tomatoes are going to kill someone, I'm not worried. Just curious about it.

Thanks.