Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freezing apple slices for pies question

Posted by ediej1209 5 N Central OH (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 19, 08 at 13:15

For those who freeze apples for pies, have you tried both plain and sugared/spiced per recipe before freezing? Which works better? I have some fruit-fresh to keep the apple slices from turning, so am wondering if adding the sugar and cinnamon/nutmeg now would turn the slices to mush.

Thanks to all for all your great help. This is a GREAT forum!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freezing apple slices for pies question

I always just freeze slices that have been dipped into Fruit Fresh solution. I freeze them in the amounts needed for my favorite pie recipes (6 or 7 cups).

Carol (readinglady) freezes whole unbaked pies. I know you can freeze apple slices in sugar, but I've never done it. Why not go the whole way and just freeze everything in the pie tin shape so you can just drop it into a crust later?

Melissa

o

i make the filling just as i would for fresh apple pie and freeze it in a pie pan lined with a plastic bag. after it is frozen i pull the bag over the filling (kinda like turning a sock inside out) and put it back in the freezer. when i want a pie- pull off the bag and walla a pie filling ready to bake. you can thaw it or bake it a little longer for a pie ready in a little over an hour. sandy

o

Adding sugar will cause them to soften more before the start to freeze. A lot of sugar added will also reduce the abilty for the apples to freeze firmly. Freezing without sugar will also break down the cellular structure so they will be soft once thawed. Be sure to make a string ascorbic acid solution, and you can also add a little lemon juice to the solution as well. Apples are notorious for oxidizing, as are peaches.

o

Well, it sounds like if I want to have non-mushy pies, I should freeze without. Thank you all much for the advice!

o

Its also depeding on the type of apples. Some hold up quite well to cooking, or baking, while others totally disintegrate. Sugar is aways better to add when filling the pie crust with apples.

o

Like Sandy I line the pie pan but I use foil instead of plastic (but plastic sounds like a better idea) put in the apple slices and add the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg, cover it with more foil and freeze, then I put it in a plastic bag. I've never had any trouble with the apples turning brown or mushy apples when they thaw or cook but I use mostly Ida Red apples which are great keepers and are fairly hard. I live in NYS so don't know if those apples are available everywhere or not. They are one of the last to ripen, if fact I just got two bushels so now have to start making applesauce for the grandkids.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here