Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macybaby_gw

BWB and jelling?

macybaby
12 years ago

Made some apple jelly from pealing and cores. The juice was very thick.

Used low sugar pectin and followed the directions.

It was starting to set as I was putting it into the jars, but after taking it out of the canner, it was very thin. 24 hour later, and it's still very runny.

I had some extra, put that in a bowl and into the fridge, and that is set up just like I expected.

Any ideas what the problem is? Or should I just let it sit longer and see what happens.

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

How long did you process it in the BWB? Normal processing isn't usually enough to break the set. And it should have had plenty of pectin given the peels used. Low sugar pectin often gives a softer set anyway. I'd just give it some more time unless it was over-processed.

Dave

• macybaby
    Original Author
    12 years ago

because of my altitude, I process for 12mn. It appears to be starting to set up so that's good, just taking longer than I expected with apple jelly. It's also the first time I've had it come out of the canner runnier than when it went into it, and also had the "extra" set up so much faster than what is in the jars.

Always something new to learn.

• happyday
    12 years ago

I saw a youtube video where a woman made pectin from peelings and cores. She boiled them and tested the juice by putting some rubbing alcohol in a sample of the juice. It gelled, that proved it was pectin. She said you could use this instead of buying dried pectin, but didn't say how to preserve it until you were ready to use it.

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

That happens sometimes with jelly. Did you know it can take a month or longer for some jams and jellies to gel ? Give it some time. It is way too soon.

• macybaby
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thought it was setting up, but looked this morning and it must have been wishful thinking on my part - it's not any thicker.

Normally Apple sets up fast, but the no-sugar works differently. The part that has me confused is that the jelly that wasn't BWB set up right away.

I also made some grape, but with that so far neither the processed or the extra put in the fridge has set up. But the cider, apple/cranberry and apple/plum set up just fine. I still have a batch of apple/pear to make - trying to use up the last of the apples.

I've made apple pectin, my apples are very high in that. I can it just like apple juice, as that is basically what it is, really thick apple juice. When I make full sugar jelly/jam it works very well, but I'm trying for low sugar spreads as I don't like them so sweet.

Though I'm about ready to give up and go back to regular pectin, I never had problems with that setting up.

If I wait for a month and it's still not set, will it be OK to reprocess it at that time?

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

That is why I love Pomona's Pectin. It will gel water.
    You will be able to reprocess, but usually the texture is more gummy like if you do. What brand pectin did you use ?

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Sticking my neck out here as I know this isn't approved, but we all know that Europeans don't process at all. I am NOT advocating that. But personally I wouldn't process my jams/jellies that long regardless of altitude. I'd use the lower altitude processing times.

The risk with the high acid jellies is minimal to begin with and the processing purpose is to create a good vacuum seal, not really kill anything. 15 min. BWB 'could' break the set on any jelly.

JMO

Dave

• macybaby
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This was Sure-gel, with an expiration date in 2012. I'd love to get the pamona but I'd have to order it, and usually I'm not thinking about it until I need it.

Even the instructions say to increase the BWB time to 15 mn if you are between 1000 and 5000ft above sea level. I'm at 1300. I've always processed my jams/jellies that length of time, but this is the first year trying no-sugar pectin.

I made cider jelly too, the recipe is the same except using cider instead of apple juice, and adding a couple of cinnomn sticks to the cider (pulled out before canning).

The cider was not setting up before I put it in the jar, the apple was. Oh well, these things happen. I give almost all my jam away, DH and I rarely eat it - though I did want to attempt jelly filled donughts.