Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cocktail sauce recipe request

Posted by sautesmom z9 Sacramento CA (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 14, 10 at 13:41

My local gourmet store has the most wonderful cocktail sauce, but it's over $4.00 for an 8 ounce jar. While we still have tomatoes, I thought I might try to copy it, and was wondering if anyone has a recipe with similar ingredients. The label lists the following:

Water
Tomato Paste
Sugar
Distilled Vinegar
Salt
Watermelon Rind pickles
Horseradish
Cabbage
Celery
Onions
Spices

Thanks for any ideas!

Carla in Sac

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cocktail sauce recipe request

Well - first you make some watermelon rind pickles --- it should get easier after that.

Just my 2 c's.

Bejay

o

I've made the one in the Ball complete book. I like it way better than anything I've bought. I actually didn't like cocktail sauce until I made this.

Does not have the watermelon, cabbage or celery. I also substituted prepared horseradish as I could not any good raw stuff locally.

o

Sometimes a company will put a tiny pinch of something into a recipe to make that product look unique.

If pickles, cabbage, etc is listed below salt on the ingredients, they merely waved a piece of it over the vat; just enough to say that it is in there.

Cocktail sauce is basically a "chili sauce" (chunky ketchup recipe) with horse radish added. The "spices" is probably just turmeric, and maybe some white pepper.

The water, tomato paste, sugar, vinegar, and spice is merely the recipe for ketchup. Add horseradish, and you've got cocktail sauce. Wave some cabbage over it if it makes you feel better.

o

that is a good point about paying attention to the order of ingredients on purchased food since they are listed from most to least.

However I wonder if that list is the actual order. If there is more salt than horseradish, I don't know if it would be edible!

The ball book Has 2 tbsp salt to 3 cups grated horseradish. I added about a half cup of prepared horseradish and cut the salt in half (DH has blood pressure issues).

But maybe it does have more salt than horseradish - another big reason to make your own!!!!

o

Can you provide a brand name for this product? Is "Cocktail Sauce" exactly what it's called or is that how you've identified it?

If we can look it up by brand we might be able to determine more by looking at the label and ingredients list in case the order you provided is different.

As far as the watermelon pickles are concerned, that's definitely an attention-getter, but it's likely in a strongly flavored sauce that any good traditional sweet pickle would be suitable.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here