Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it too late to harvest rhubarb?

Posted by guysmom z9CA (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 15, 11 at 13:44

I haven't had time to deal with my rhubarb and was wondering if there comes a point when it is too old to use? I have never canned rhubarb before or even cooked with it. I live on the coast in Northern California. Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it too late to harvest rhubarb?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 15, 11 at 17:02

I cooked with some, and froze more, from my neighbors patch last month...it's great. I've never canned it, I freeze it for pies, rhubarb crisp, never combining it with strawberries like you see so often :), luv just the rhubarb.

But, she was careful not to cut/pull all the stalks from this (third?) picking - apparently removing too many (left at least half) can be not so much hard on the tummy, but hard on the plant this late in the year. Z8b here, similar.

o

I think you need to cook a small amount and see. I have harvested rhubarb this late, but depending upon weather and amount of rainfall it can be more fibrous and tougher.

You never know without a little test batch.

Carol

o

Thanks for the help. I was wondering because I saw somewhere that rhubarb is poisonous if left too long. I knew the leaves were, but hadn't heard anything before about the stems. Our weather has been strange this year and everything is late. Can you believe we are harvesting blackberries now? Anyway, I took your suggestion and made some sauce with the rhubarb and it turned out just fine.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 16, 11 at 17:24

There are still the himalayan berries here now, a little later than some years but I am not picking blackberries much past the end of our native small types....and those were a good three weeks later than usual. Long, cool Spring into early summer, delayed many things....raspberries, blueberries too.

My neighbor with the rhubarb interspaced many sun flowers in among her things and some along our shared fence for me to enjoy...some are finally fully blooming this week.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here