Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Method for ripening green tomatoes

Posted by lucilleclifton Zone 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 13:45

My co-worker just recommended this method of getting green tomatoes to ripen after picking to me and I'm curious if any of you can confirm whether this works.

She said to wrap each fruit individually in newspaper and set in a single layer on a countertop. She said they'll keep that way for months and will slowly ripen on their own.

Sounds too good to be true!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Method for ripening green tomatoes

No it's been around since pioneer days and works, for the most part. Some will rot and some won't ripen but the majority will. The main problem is all the wrapping and unwrapping and re-wrapping to check them every few days. No big deal if you only have 15-20 fruit. Another issue if you have 100+ fruit.

Various methods come up regularly over on the Growing Tomatoes forum and range from the paper-bag-with-a-ripe apple (basically ethylene gas ripening), the method you describe, and the pull-up-and-hang-the-plant-upside down-from-the-rafters method.

That last one is what works best for us since we usually have 50+ plants with fruit on them and the big barn rafters to use. Basement or garage rafters also work just not as convenient.

And of course you can always leave the plants in the garden but cover them well until the fruit hit color break and then pick them.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here