Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtguy50

Canning frozen green beans possible?

Is it safe to blanch and freeze your green bean harvest and wait until you have enough volume to pressure can them. Obviously, they would have to be thawed first before processing. The reason for the question, is running out of freezer space this time of year. Hope some of the seasoned pros pop in here with opinions. Thanks everyone.
Keith

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

There are no safety issues but they will be very mushy. It's a double whammy on the cell structure. Freezing expands the cell walls, weakens them. Then the pressurized hot processing smashes the already damaged cells so the end quality will be poor. Maybe ok to use in soups and stews where texture doesn't matter much but not so good for eating as normal beans.

Dave

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dave. I kinda suspected that to be the case. I may try to hold some beans a couple of days in the fridge and hopefully get enough to can into pint jars. Thanks again.

• Bonnie Balch
    8 years ago

I picked fresh stringers..I snipped them and froze them without branching them.can I blanch them now and can them?

• Bonnie Balch
    8 years ago

Sorry string beans

• digdirt2
    8 years ago

Hi Bonnie - as I said above there is no safety issues with your plan but the beans will be very soft and mushy and the eating quality will be poor. It makes no difference if you blanched them or not. It is the freezing then thawing then canning that turns them to mush.

Dave