Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgkritch

Mushroom Harvest Time! -pic

dgkritch
16 years ago

I found a local person to buy Chanterelle mushrooms from. He and his family pick them.

So........I made Cream of Chanterelle soup and Mushroom Puffs Sunday night for dinner.

YUM!!

{{gwi:956903}}

Deanna

Comments (8)

• lynn_1965
    16 years ago

Hi Deanna,
    I would really like your recipes. Sounds so good! We have tried dehydrating the chanterelles but they don't re- hydrate very tender. Still very tasty and a lot of flavor, but a lot like shoe leather. We thought about canning or freezing instead. Any suggestions?

Lynn

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I really didn't use a recipe for the soup.
    I melted 1/2c. butter in a sauce pan, added 3 small shallots and one garlic glove finely minced.
    Then course chopped about a pound or so of mushrooms and added those. Covered and let simmer for about 10 minutes or so. I added about 1/4 c. of heavy cream and about 1/2 c. chicken broth, then pureed with my stick blender. Then dissolved 1/3 c. flour in about 1 1/2c. mild and added to soup to thicken. Then I added in just a few more pieces of chopped mushrooms for "chewiness", not very many, probably not even 1/4 c. Sliced crossways a cap of a mushroom for garnish and a few fresh chives.

And here's the "Puff" recipe I used.
    I found that I needed to bake it another minute or two. Probably just my oven, but try one and make sure they're done all the way through. Ours were just a tiny bit doughy in the center.

Golden Chanterelle Puffs

Makes about 35 puffs
    Chanterelle puffs are a light and elegant party food. Serve them with a white wine such as traminer, riesling, or sauvignon blanc.

Â 1 cup chicken broth
    Â 1/2 pound chanterelles, minced
    Â 1/2 cup (1 stick ) butter
    Â 1/2 teaspoon salt
    Â 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
    Â 3 eggs

Heat the chicken broth in a heavy medium saucepan.
    Add the chanterelles, butter, and salt and allow to come to a boil.
    Stir in the flour, mixing constantly until the mixture is smooth and almost leaves the sides of the pan.
    Remove from the heat.
    Beat one egg at a time into the mixture.
    Drop tablespoons of the dough onto a buttered cookie sheet, spacing the spoonfuls about 2 inches apart.
    Bake in a preheated 450º oven for 15 minutes or until firm and golden.
    Cool the puffs on a rack.
    --Louise Freedman

Deanna

• rosebush
    15 years ago

Just found these recipes and so appreciate them. With my first chanterelle harvest in two years, I am going to enjoy every bite! :)

• bella_trix
    15 years ago

Lynn,

Chanterelles freeze very well - just saute in butter, then freeze. I miss hunting mushrooms. I haven't been out since I caught Lyme's Disease last year. I REALLY miss mushroom hunting on the West Coast :).

Bellatrix

• jimster
    15 years ago

What happened to the pic?

Jim

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

Once the original person deletes the photo AT THE Photo Bucket site, it 'breaks' the link, Because most Photo Bucket free acounts limit storage, the member has to keep the stroage they are limited to way down.

• rosebush
    15 years ago

I'll try and post pics of my chanterelle patch. Picked a few small ones the other night, sauteed in butter, garlic and white wine and they were delicious! Last year I had none at all due to drought, so this year I'm savoring every last mushroom. (Well, I'm actually leaving a few, reluctantly, so they come back next year.) :)

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, I deleted the original pic. Sorry. It was just a bunch of yellow chanterelles laid out on my counter.

I was surprised to see the thread revived after a year!! :+)
    But, it reminded me to watch for this guy again. I found him through craigslist and went to his house, met his wife and 2 boys (helpers) and the dog! LOL Very nice guy, just trying to make a few extra bucks on the side for his family. I didn't contribute much, but I don't think he had any trouble selling his 'shrooms. They were $6/lb. and later I saw them as high as $12 on the same craigslist from other people!!

Deanna