Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilymama_gw

Persimmon canning recipes

lilymama
12 years ago

Hello! My first post on this site: does anyone know if either of these persimmon canning recipes are ok for BWB canning? If not, can I pressure can them? I really like the way the first one sounds and I have a bunch of persimmons coming in this week. Also, any other recommendations or suggestions for canning persimmons? Thanks!

Persimmon Jam

3.5 to 4 lbs ripe persimmons

2 cups water

3 tablespoons lemon juice

1 pkg powdered pectin

1 cup honey

Wash fruit, remove blossom ends. Put in 6 to 8 quart non reactive pot. Add

water. Bring to boil. Mash persimmons. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.

Remove from heat. Use food mill or strainer to remove pits. Measure 3 cups

of pulp. Stir in lemon juice and pectin. Bring to boil and add honey all

at once. Bring to full rolling boil and boil 1 to 2 minutes, stirring

constantly. Jar, seal and BWB 5 minutes.

Persimmon Jam (family recipe handed down to Marina Louisa by her mother, submitted by Mari November 2007) (click here for recipe with metric measurements)

2 Quarts ripe fresh persimmon pulp

1 Cup sugar

1 Cup orange juice

grated rind of 1 orange

Combine all ingredients in a 4-quart enameled or stainless steel pan and cook over medium-high heat,

stirring often until thickened, usually about 20 minutes.

Pour into sterilized half-pint jars and seal at once. This recipe makes 6 half-pint jars.

Mari adds, "This is a good holiday jam and my friends love a jar as a gift."

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

I have been trying to find the pH for persimmons but can't seem to find it anywhere. I know we had it here in one of the previous discussions about canning them but that discussion seems to have fallen off the end.

So about all I can say is they seem to have enough acid in them to be safe regardless of the pH. But as with most untested family recipes they are a make at your own risk issue.

If you search 'persimmons' here you'll find 4 or 5 previous discussions about them and a couple of recipes. They just aren't a commonly prepared food.

Dave

• dgkritch
    12 years ago

I held off posting so your thread would stay at the top.
    I don't have any help on canning persimmons, but wanted to say "Welcome". Please keep posting!

I've got persimmon pulp in the freezer given to me by a friend and was hoping someone would have some ideas.

He said he likes to just eat it like ice cream. It doesn't freeze as solid as water, so it is possible to scrape some off to eat. More like a sorbet I suppose.
    Hey! That might be something to actually make with it!!

Sorry not more help.

Deanna

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

The USDA web site lists the ph of persimmons at 4.42-4.7. So that makes them borderline acidic. In which case, the added acid seems a bit low.

I'm also wondering how the gel would be on either recipes with such a low amount of sugar. The minimum standard for jam is typically 1 cup of sugar for every cup of fruit.

• joy_unspeakable
    12 years ago

Welcome! Sorry I can't comment on your canning recipe.

dgkritch - We have lots of persimmons each year and I make persimmon bread with it. Alot like pumpkin bread and my kids actually love it. I also make the occassional persimmon pudding. I like it, reminds me of when my grandma used to make it when I was a child (but nobody else likes it). I'll be happy to post the recipe if you're interested.

~ Tracy

• dgkritch
    12 years ago

Yes, please, Tracy! I have a "block" of persimmon pulp in the freezer that a friend gave me. I haven't quite known what to do with it, so it sits.
    This thread got me googling again and I found a persimmon oatmeal cookie recipe I want to try.

It seems like most of the recipes use just a cup or so and I'll have near 4 cups thawed. I want to use it up!

I just didn't get to it this weekend with processing tomatoes (Sweet and Sour Sauce, green tomato sauce, Mexican tomato sauce) and Pears (Ginger Pear Sauce). Plus making a couple of soups for the freezer.

Deanna

• joy_unspeakable
    12 years ago

This also uses just one cup. You could make LOTS of bread :)

Persimmon Bread

1 cup persimmon pulp
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    3 cups sugar
    1 cup vegetable oil
    4 eggs
    1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 1/2 teaspoon salt
    2/3 cup water
    3 cups all purpose flour
    1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
    raisins (optional) - I sometimes throw in a little handful

I have found that this recipe will fill five 5 5/8 x 3 3/16 pans.

In small bowl, mix persimmon pulp and baking soda. Set aside for 5 minutes.

In large bowl, combine sugar, oil, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Blend. Mix in pulp, water, and flour alternating. Fold in nuts and/or raisins. Fill loaf pans 2/3 full.

Bake one hour at 350 degrees or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan for at least 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.

Freezes well.

I think the original recipe came from Allrecipes dot com.

~ Tracy

• dgkritch
    12 years ago

Thanks Tracy!
    It may be a few weeks before I get around to trying these, but the bread sounds really good.

Deanna

• karen-henry
    9 years ago

I have lots of persimmons and lots of recipes for breads, jams and salsas that need to be refrigerated or frozen. However, I need recipes that will be shelf stable using the water bath method. Any jam*, jelly, salsa.or other recipes that fit that criteria will be greatly appreciated. Thanking you in advance for any help you can give me;

* I have tried the recipe that called for honey in a posting from 2011 and it wad good but the price of honey makes it cost prohibitive for my use.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz