Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Funky onion

Posted by john__showme__usa 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 17, 10 at 14:08

Was about to make some squash/scallop burritos for the freezer and cut into a nice looking sweet onion...

A blackish, powdery fungus or something. How dangerous and what to do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Funky onion

If it is between the skin and the first layer or so, just peel the onion down further. Throw away the onion with the black mold on it, rinse the remaining bulb, and then chop and use just like you normally do.

It's a flavor issue, not a health issue.

o

That's what I'd do, too.

Apparently, molds can sneak long, nearly-invisible tendrils down into soft foods, so if you find mold on top of a jar of jam, say, it's recommended to throw the whole thing out. But on a hard cheese, an onion, etc. you can throw out the moldy bit and eat the rest.

Enjoy your burritos!

Z
P.S. When I saw the subject line I thought this was going to be a new dance you were going to teach us all! I was looking forward to photos.... ;-p

o

This is aspergillus niger, a very common mold for onions and garlic.

The USDA says you can peel away the affected areas and then use the remainder, but personally I'd never use such onions for canning because there's no way to tell how far invisible spores and threads have actually penetrated.

For fresh use or frozen, it's your call. Health risks are low, though eating infected onions isn't risk-free.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here