Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanwedding

please recommend some good food scales

Had an older analog one but it "Disappeared"..........

So many canning recipes call for Pounds etc....

Chime in all, please

Thanks

Jean

Comments (15)

• nancyofnc
    12 years ago

I have an Ozeri digital kitchen scale scl0640 (not available anymore) that shows grams, milliliters, fluid ounces, and pounds/ounces to one decimal more. It is thin, lightweight and very accurate.

The tare function only appears on digital scales (unless you buy a hanging scale) so you will be happy to be able to place the bowl/paper on the scale, press tare, then add the whatever you want to weigh.

As with all scales, it is important to store it flat without anything on it to maintain its accuracy. Most kitchen scales only weigh 5 pounds or some up to 11 pounds. If you need more than that, look at manufacturers of 75 pound max postal scales. Manufacturer's Cuisinart, Salter, and Taylor Made Food Service, all reputable.

Be sure to check which kind of battery it will use when you choose one!!! The one I had before used two lithium Cr2032's (not rechargeable) that lasted no time at all, at all, and was many more times expensive per each, over time, than the one I have now that uses rechargeable AAA's. Rechargeable batteries are the way to go so you don't have to make a trip to the "hazardous materials" bin at the landfill. I do not recommend those that use plug-in AC. IMO I'll ask you if you really want to plug in one more thing on the counter.

I bought a Soehnle kitchen scale for my DS and DIL. They love the sleek modern look of the clear glass top and didn't need but the pounds/ounces and tare for their uses. It uses rechargeable AAA's too.

There is a wide range of prices to consider also. Check if the manufacturer also makes postal scales. A good indication of precision made products. IMO.

Nancy

• John__ShowMe__USA
    12 years ago

I bought a postal scale maybe 10 years ago and absolutely love it. Just plug it in, no batteries. You can get one at your local post office. They have a cheaper 5 lb model too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Postal scale

• readinglady
    12 years ago

I have a farm scale but that's not realistic for most. For kitchen and general canning use I am a huge fan of Myweigh scales. I think they're the best value available, and I've owned Salter and other "well-known" brands.

I first ran across Myweigh when it was recommended on the old King Arthur Flour baking circle. I really owe those who recommended the company a debt of gratitude.

I now own the KD8000 which weighs up to 17.6 pounds (in oz./lbs./gr./kg.) Previously I used the 7001DX which weighs up to 15.4 lbs. We still have the 7001DX. It's just been re-located to my husband's shop.

Take a look at the Myweigh website and draw your own conclusions. You'll find the models I mentioned in their Cooking section.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Myweigh Scales

• memazz
    12 years ago

I've got a small digital Escali scale that works well for me--I use it a lot for baking too because it's easier and more accurate than measuring cups. I've had it for at least 7 or 8 years and haven't had to replace the batteries yet. I keep it in the kitchen drawer so it's handy when I want it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Escali scale

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

2nd the postal scale. I have one that I use for the farmers market as well as kitchen use. They work just as well or better than many of the more expensive models. They sell them in all post offices.

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

David and John - do you know if the postal scales are Class III Legal for Trade (you'd think so, but best to ask)? Here in CT we have to have certified trade scales for farmer's market. Been looking all over for a reasonably-priced battery-operated NTEP Class III scale. Thanks.

• mellyofthesouth
    12 years ago

I like my OXO scale. I used a coupon at bed bath. I should borrow hubby's weights that he uses reloading and see how accurate it is.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    12 years ago

> David and John - do you know if the postal scales are Class III Legal for Trade (you'd think so, but best to ask)?

I was hoping that David would know, because I don't. Can't find the literature that came with it.

Heck, I didn't even know that mine could be battery operated until closely reading David's post. :)

John

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

John - it should have a sticker on it somewhere.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    12 years ago

Sorry, no sticker with that info. Mine is an older model. Maybe David can help here.

Using the scale info given on my first link maybe one could call USPS customer service & find out that way?

Might just be best to look at one the next time you go to the post office. I only drive to town a couple times a week and wouldn't you just know that I got back from mailing a pkg just min ago.

Sorry can't be of more help...

Here is a link that might be useful: USPS customer service

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

No sticker on mine either. They are measurable/accurate to 0.1 oz -Looking around the other scales used at our market - usually hanging spring scales, this one is far more accurate.

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

Thanks guys - I will try calling USPS. Our PO is very small (and may be shut down soon) so they wouldn't have any in stock, I just figured I'd order online.

David - doesn't CO police the scales? State can shut you down and fine you if they find you using non-certified scale here.

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

They do - nobody worried about it for years, and then a couple summers ago, a state inspector showed up and told everybody that they needed certified scales, and then everybody went out and saw how much certified scales cost, and then everybody started selling "over a pound" or "at least a pound". :-)

(this is a very small, 1 day a week farmers market)

• Trishcuit
    12 years ago

I have also been thinking a scale would be a good addition for canning season. I would like to get the kind that is spring loaded or whatever it is. That way I don't need batteries or electricity, both of which can be unavailable at inconvenient times.

• patricc
    9 years ago

There is a shipload of kitchen scales designed for average home use including some very sleek ones such as Ozeri and Escali but with kitchen equipment, sleek does not always translate to good. For instance, the popular touch button feature is indeed stylish but it just wonâÂÂt work if your hands are wet. Concerning functionality, OXO Good Grips is probably the best food scale available at the moment. Pull-out display, removable and dishwasher safe parts and tangible buttons are some of the things that make it my choice.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks