Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Parsley Persillade--refrigerator safe for 6 months?

Posted by jill2761 Southeast Texas (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 30, 12 at 14:10

A friend sent me this recipe from a permaculture website for making persillade from parsley. It mixes chopped parsley, lemon juice, garlic, and oil and is stored in the refrigerator. Nuts or parmesan cheese can be added, making this sort of a parsley pesto. This is not a canning recipe and I would not be canning it.

According to the recipe, it will keep 6 months in the refrigerator. I've made similar toppings for baked fish, but I've always done this fresh from scratch whenever I needed it. This seems quick and easy to have it on hand in the refrigerator, but I don't have any experience with this. Six months seems like a long time and I don't know how the parsley would hold up--flavor and color.

Any suggestions or input?

Here is a link that might be useful: Parsley persillade recipe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Parsley Persillade--refrigerator safe for 6 months?

Anyone who says the oil protects the parsley from the air so that bacteria do not breed is immediately suspect.

I don't know that the juice of 1/2 a lemon is sufficient to acidify 10 garlic cloves in oil, not to mention the parsley, but I suspect not.

Personally I'd freeze it just like pesto. It should keep beautifully (better than the fridge over the long term) with an additional peace-of-mind bonus.

Carol

o
RE: Parsley Persillade--refrigerator safe for 6 months?

Agree with all Carol said. Apparently they have never heard of anaerobic bacteria like c. botulinum. Indeed some of the most health risky bacteria thrive in a sealed-off-from-air environments. And even IF it was acidified enough 3 months would still be the recommended limit.

But pesto freezes exceptionally well - either on a cookie sheet and you can then break off pieces to use or in ice cube trays and then the cubes tossed into a zip lock bag and used as needed.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here