Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning kraut

Posted by joy_unspeakable 7NC (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 15, 12 at 14:25

I am canning kraut today and have a few questions for the experts.

Kraut has been fermenting for a little over two weeks in huge pickle jars. Tastes great! I followed the raw pack method. When I packed the jars - I had to add a lot of extra (new) brine. While fermenting, everything was covered with juices, but had to add almost 2 additional quarts of new brine to 8 pints of kraut to get enough headspace. Does that sound right? Seems like I might have diluted something a bit too much?

I have another huge jar that I'm going to let go a few more days. That can stay in the fridge for up to three months with no processing, correct?

Thanks for your help!
~ Tracy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning kraut

That does sound like a fair amount of of new brine for just 8 pints. I would guess that you drained off all the old brine first and then packed the jars loosely? Maybe a bit too loosely? Note the instructions read: fill jars rather firmly with kraut and juices, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.

Either way it is safe as the cabbage is already fermented and you are basically just processing to create the vacuum.

I don't know how much you began with weight wise so can't tell how many pints you should end up with but had it been packed into say 6 pints you'd need much less new brine.

Dave

o
RE: Canning kraut

Thanks Dave! As long as its not a safety issue, that was my main concern. I didn't drain it. I fermented in a gallon glass pickle jar, and it remained under the brine while fermenting. After I dumped it into a big pot, it just didn't have much juice. I didn't firmly pack the jars though.

As a side note. I had a second gallon jar fermenting also. Prepared the same day as this batch, under the same conditions. I canned the first batch on Monday and let the second jar go til today. When I dumped the kraut into a pot today, it had a horrible rotten smell - I threw it out. I wonder why this batch went bad? Could the two extra days make a difference (the temp has been 70 or below)?

Thanks for your help.
~ Tracy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here