Another Ball webcast - pressure canning

2ajsmama
9 years ago

Oct 23

Here is a link that might be useful: Ball Pressure Canning Webcast

Comments (7)

• hawaiisam
    9 years ago

Did you watch it? Looked like a lot of viewers picked up that the demonstrators didn't let the steam vent for 10 minutes. The discount code has been extended in case anyone missed this or had problems getting the discount to work. It should be EASY10. In spite of some minor problems I plan on watching the one next month on canning meat. Hope its venison :) Thanks for posting the link! sam

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, they didn't vent for 10 minutes and also kept saying "It's almost at 10!" when they were using a dial gauge. I couldn't tell if they even put a regulator on but they must have if it built pressure.

They also said you can make up your own recipes and just PC for the ingredient with the longest processing time. I questioned that but my question (using examples of Tomatoes with Okra and Spaghetti Sauce without Meat which have limits on amounts of low-acid veggies in proportion to tomatoes) was never posted.

AFAIK the code (with free shipping) expires Sunday midnight.

I do wish they'd get closer to the action - it's really hard to see what they're doing.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

If anyone doesn't already know, the video is on their site if anyone is interested and couldn't watch it live. It's the same link that ajsmama gave above.

I haven't watched it yet but skimming through the video it does seem kind of dumb that they have the camera backed so far away. They could at least zoom in a little bit, no need to show the entire kitchen from wall to wall.

Rodney

• hawaiisam
    9 years ago

Are you Sheila? Your question and the response are posted there now. There were so many questions, comments and responses happening at once it was hard to track. I think the discount (for those who missed it the discount is 10% and free shipping) is good until Monday now.

Since I have a pressure canner but haven't tried it yet I was torn between being grateful for the opportunity to watch someone else canning and still being a little freaked out at the mistakes. sam

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks - I'll check it out. I didn't get to see the end of the broadcast, my DSL locked up and when I went back it had ended. I figured they'd have the recorded version up tomorrow.

I'll probably check out the meat broadcast too. When was that? I couldn't hear, my DSL isn't that fast so I miss things when it's buffering.

• hawaiisam
    9 years ago

November 18 for the meat canning webinar. They already did chili. There were requests for venison and chicken. In todays webinar they mentioned squirrel but I'm not sure if that was in regards to the November webinar or something else.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I scrolled down, another viewer replied to my question, Ball didn't. I'd like Ball to clarify that statement about just PCing for the longest time required for an ingredient. Maybe it's just BWB, but Dave said that recommendation was withdrawn years ago, and I'd think PC would be the same.

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area