Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kikistreehouse

Canning oranges

kikistreehouse
12 years ago

Hello. I had a friend give me several bags of oranges , She got a good deal on at the local store. So I was thinking of canning in a light syrup. Do I do same as the "Blue Book" on canning grapefruit.And another question She said she was going to add a clove to her jars. Is this safe . You have helped me in the past. Iam very Thankfull to all of you.

Comments (8)

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

Yes, use the same recipe and adding cloves is fine, too.

• kikistreehouse
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Linda

• tracydr
    12 years ago

Sounds yummy. I'm hoping to find some little tangerines to make "mandarin oranges" this winter, do you need to remove the membrane around the slices?

• bejay9_10
    12 years ago

My experience with trying to BWB citrus wasn't too successful - it radically changed the taste of the citrus.

However, I freeze a lot of mandarin type oranges - which are abundant at this time - until February. It is a bit of a task to remove all of the little membrane strings, and sectioning, but prepared that way are quite delightful.

I use the cup-sized freezer containers, pack the sections, covering with a light simple syrup, with a plastic baggie placed on top to keep the sections under the liquid.

They are great for making holiday fruit salads when prepared that way. When I tried a BWB - heat processing - it altered their flavor and made them soft.

I've been meaning to try orange sections the same way - as the Valencia oranges are tasty during summer and much sweeter than winter, and preserving them at that time would be better. But again, I've not tried freezing oranges - only mandarin, but processing oranges and grapefruit with BWB was disappointing.

Bejay

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Link below is to the instructions on how to can citrus fruits but I agree with Bejay on the flavor change and we gave up doing it after several different tries. I'd suggest you fist try just a couple of jars and see if you like the taste before jumping in with both feet. :)

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Canning citrus

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

I tried canning clementines 2 winters ago. Pretty much just sectioned the clementines, removed as much of the white strings as possible, but left the membranes on. Canned them in a light syrup. Considering that I have 2 or 3 jars still left - I only did 7 jars total - I would say it is not a favorite in our house.

I do make the honey crimson grapefruit - recipe in the Ball Book. And we love that. I've noticed a recipe for honey oranges - have made a mental note to possible try that this year.

• tracydr
    12 years ago

Thanks, everyone. Now that I have a big freezer, I'll just try freezing them instead. I can get really cheap citrus, often free, in winter around here. I only have lemon trees but there are orange, grapefruit and tangerine trees all over the neighborhood.

• bejay9_10
    12 years ago

My citrus does well also. I'm presently in the middle of making lime juice wine. This is my 2nd batch, and I think I'm finally beginning to work out the problems. Citrus wines are rather acidic - but actually when I tasted this now - nearly finished batch, it tasted pretty much like the last "Refreshing White" box wine that I purchased awhile ago.

Don't know how lemon or orange wine would be - but have seen a few recipes for orange - but it involved the use of vodka - for the alcohol content, a few ideas for liquer are available also.