Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracydr

Small batch of okra pickles?

tracydr
13 years ago

I only have a small amount of okra. Maybe enough to do a pint of pickles? I'd like to just mix up some brine and put it in the fridge. What would you suggest? Should I heat the brine? What amount of vinegar? Should I use a little pickle crisp? Dill? Garlic?

I've been waiting all season and for some reason just never got more than a piece of okra at a time so I've just been munching on them raw. Finally got about eight pieces all at once.

Next year I'm planting a bunch of okra so that i have pickles coming out my ears!

Comments (9)

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Why not just use the recipe for Pickled Dill Okra and just cup the brine recipe by thirds or even quarters?

Otherwise you can use any approved brine recipe - bread n' butter, sweet, or 1:1 vinegar to water and any dried spices you prefer.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickled Dilled Okra - NCHFP

• tracydr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If I refrigerate it do I assume I need to heat the brine but dont process the jar,correct? Or, maybe I should process, since it needs to sit for a couple of weeks to get the flavor?
    This will be only the second time I've made pickles of any kind. I made watermelon rind pickles this summer. They were a pretty large batch so I processed them in the traditional way.

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

If you are keeping it in the fridge continuously then you probably don't need to process but I still would. Couple of reasons: 1) the vacuum created will help draw the brine into the vegetables, and 2) in case they get shoved to the back and over-looked for a bit they will still be safe. ;) As a very general guide, processing is always better than not processing.

Either way, yes you need to heat the brine first.

Enjoy them!

Dave

• tracydr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Dave! Will do this afternoon when I finish picking! White or cider vinegar better?

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

White or cider vinegar better?

That is a matter of taste and your choice. Cider is a mellow, softer flavor while white is sharp with a bite. My personal preference in most everything is cider vinegar. But some don't care for the brine color that results from using cider vinegar. ;)

Dave

• kayskats
    13 years ago

My complaint with okra pickles is that with processing they get slimy and I don't do slimy pickles.

I'm tempted to try a jar packed cold, hot brine, closed with plastic cap and refrigerated. Probably shouldn't eat them for 3 or 4 weeks. Also wonder what kind of a shelf life they'd have kept in the fridge.

Thanks goodness I found a commerical brand that is almost crisp enuf for me. They must use pickle crisp.

k

• tracydr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ate a pod last night. Unbelievably good! Brine was white vinegar and water, a bit of salt. Added some dill and and pickling spice, a garlic clove. No sugar. One very hot red pepper of no known name. 1/4 tsp pickle crisp in the pint.
    They were very loosely pack raw with boiling brine and the next day I added a couple more pods when they were ready.
    Next year I am filling up the sunnier garden with okra and protecting it from bunnies!
    Man I wish I had more!

• kayskats
    13 years ago

did you process or refrigerate?

k

• tracydr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I refrigerated. They will be gone by the end of the week. Just enough time to let them pickle.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus