Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda_lou24

Linda Lou's Oatmeal muffins

Linda_Lou
14 years ago

OATMEAL MUFFINS

1 cup dry oatmeal

Â1 cup sour milk or yogurt or buttermilk (powdered buttermilk is fine)

Â1 medium egg

Â1/2 cup brown or white sugar

Â1/3 cup oil

Â1-1/4 cups flour

Â1/2 teaspoon each baking soda & salt

Â1 teaspoon baking powder

In a large bowl combine the oatmeal and buttermilk or sour milk. If you have the chance, let it stand for a few minutes, for the oatmeal to absorb some of the buttermilk. Add the egg, sugar and oil. Mix well. Add the flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Mix again, until all of the dry particles are moistened. Do not over mix. Place into well greased muffin tins or use paper liners. Bake at 400 degrees for approx. 20 minutes.

My notes:

To make sour milk, take 1 T. lemon juice and add one cup milk. Let sit a few minutes.

I add 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and 1 cup mini chocolate chips if we want chocolate chip muffins. Regular sized chocolate chips are fine,too.

You can add a cup of diced apple or dried raisins, dried cranberries, whatever you want. I would not use fresh or frozen fruits that are too moist, however.

I often mix up all the dry ingredients ahead of time, then add the wet ingredients just before I bake them. A great time saver, plus would be a great gift for someone. Just include a note with the list of wet ingredients, along with baking instructions.

I prefer the richer taste of brown sugar in these than white sugar.

These freeze beautifully, if they last that long !

Comments (13)

• digdirt2
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh oh, Linda Lou's been in the oatmeal again! ;) Sounds great LL, saved it. Thanks for sharing it.

Dave

• proudmary56
    14 years ago

Your muffins sound so yummy. Thanks for another fine recipe.

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

They sound great! Do you think it would work to sub sour cream for the yogurt/buttermilk?

Thanks,
    Bonnie

• Linda_Lou
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sour cream should work, but the batter may be a bit more stiff. I would not think that to be a problem.

• busylizzy
    14 years ago

Linda, are you using quick oats or old fashioned oats?

• ruthieg__tx
    14 years ago

Sounds so good...I love anything oatmeal.

• Linda_Lou
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I use quick oats in mine. Got a bunch of free ones.
    I have not tried old fashioned. I would think they may be a bit chewy, but you can always just spin them in the food processor a little bit. That is all quick oats are. Then, instant are just blended up finer yet.

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

That's interesting to know, Linda. For some reason, I always thought they were kind of like parboiled rice, partially precooked or something.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Thanks, LindaLou, these sound really good. I wonder how they would be with little bits of that "zucchini candy" since I have several zucchini in the garage waiting....

I don't suppose you have a recipe for butternut squash muffins, do you? I have about 100 pounds of that.

Annie

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

Annie, just sub the butternut in any Pumpkin Muffin recipe!
    And crustless "pumpkin" pie is awesome!
    Milk, eggs, sugar (or other sweetener), pumpkin, spices.
    Whiz it all together in the FP and pour into a greased/sprayed pie dish. Bake 'til done! LOL

I do this for a quicky dessert. I can bake while we eat dinner! I like it better good and cold though, so try to do it a day ahead.

Deanna

Here are some of the ones in my "to try" file!!

Microwave Pumpkin Bread Pudding
    2 slices reduced-calorie bread-
    2 egg white(s)
    2 Tbsp fat-free skim milk
    1/2 Tbsp Splenda brown sugar blend
    3 packet SPLENDA
    1/4 cup canned pumpkin
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
    Whisk together all ingredients except bread. Tear bread into batter and mix well. Make sure you have a microwave safe bowl.
    Cook on high in microwave for 1 minute. Mix and cook for 1 more minute.

Pumpkin Rice Pudding Yield: 12 Servings; 2 points per serving 4 c 1% low\-fat milk 15 oz canned pumpkin 3/4 c SPLENDA 1 T pumpkin pie spice 1/2 t salt 1/2 c Egg Beaters 3 c cooked white rice 1/2 t vanilla Combine first five ingredients in large saucepan. Bring to boil over med heat, stirring constantly. Gradually add small amount to Egg Beaters; return all to pan. Bring to gentle boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in rice and vanilla. Pour into sprayed 13 x 9 baking dish. Bake uncovered @375 for 25\-30 min until knife in center comes out clean. Serve warm or cold. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\` Amish Pumpkin Pancakes 1 c. flour Pinch baking soda 2 tbsp. sugar 1/4 tsp. cinnamon 1/8 tsp. ginger 1/8 tsp. nutmeg 1 egg well\-beaten 1 1/4 c. milk 2 tbsp. melted shortening 1/2 c. canned pumpkin or mashed sweet potato, cookedCombine flour, soda, sugar and spices. Combine egg, shortening, pumpkin and milk; add to flour mixture, beating until smooth. Bake on hot, lightly greased griddle, turning only once. Serve hot with butter and syrup or powdered sugar. MICROWAVE PUMPKIN CARROT MUFFINS \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_1/3 c. brown sugar 1/4 c. oil or butter 1 egg 1/2 c. pumpkin puree 1/2 c. grated carrot 3/4 c. flour 3/4 tsp. baking powder 1/2 tsp. baking soda 1/2 tsp. cinnamon 1/4 tsp. salt 1/4 c. miniature chocolate chips 1/4 c. raisinsBeat together brown sugar, oil and egg. Add the pumpkin puree and grated carrot. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir dry mixture into pumpkin mixture. Add chips and raisins. Spoon batter into paper muffin cups. Fill 2/3 full. Microwave at high for 2 to 3 minutes. Serve hot. Crustless Microwave Pumpkin Pie Ingredients: 16 ounces canned pumpkin 1/2 cup evaporated skim milk 1/2 cup sugar 3 large egg whites, lightly beaten 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice 1 tablespoon flour Directions: Combine all ingredients in a microwave dish and beat until smooth. Microwave, uncovered, for 5 minutes on High, stirring often. Turn microwave to Medium and cook an additional 12\-15 minutes, or until the center is almost set. Let pumpkin pie stand 10 minutes to set.
  • raspberrytart
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting the oatmeal muffin recipe, made them for company this weekend, everyone enjoyed them!

• shambo
    14 years ago

Linda Lou, I just wanted to let you know that I tried your muffin recipe and really enjoyed it. The first time I used butterscotch chips and then just this last week I made them with chocolate chips. I really like the adaptability of the recipe and plan to experiment with all kinds of different add-ins.

I also wanted to let you know that I posted about making the muffins on my low sodium cooking blog. I usually hang out at the Cooking Forum or Recipe Exchange. But for fun, I like to read some of the Harvest Forum posts too. I've included a link to my blog so you can read what I said.

Sue

• Linda_Lou
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You have a nice blog. I can see you like to bake, too. So do I ! I am glad you like the muffin recipe. One of my favorites.