Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beet chips - Do they store long?

Posted by judydel (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 2, 10 at 14:47

I have a row of Chioggia Beets and I've been researching what to do with them. Some I will store in our crawl space, but I can't put them in cold storage yet because we still are having warm days. So I'm thinking of making some chips. I like the recipe below and I'm assuming that the chips will keep in a jar indefinitely like other dehydrated veggies/fruits? Does anyone have experience to the contrary? I'd hate to make a bunch of these and then find out they don't keep.

Here's the recipe:

Baked Chioggia Beet Chips

For chips

* 2 medium beets with stems trimmed to 1 inch
* 1 cup water
* 1 Tablespoon canola oil
* Sea salt

Peel beets with a vegetable peeler, then slice thinly (but not too thinly) with mandolin or sharp knife, using stems as handles.

Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Add beets, then remove pan from heat and let stand 15 minutes. Drain beets in a colander, discarding liquid, then let stand in colander 15 minutes more. Toss beets with oil and salt.

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 225 F.

Line a shallow baking pan with nonstick liner, then arrange beet slices snugly in 1 layer. Bake beets until dry, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Immediately transfer chips to a rack to cool (chips will crisp as they cool).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beet chips - Do they store long?

Although chips sound interesting it looks like a lot of trouble. I would simply wait for it to get colder and eat some fresh beets right now.

o

There are beet chips in the Terra Chips that you can buy. Their's are deep fried.

Don't know if this helps or not.

Cindy

o

Personally, I'd be concerned about the oil. Not from a food safety standpoint, as I don't believe there is enough to cause a botulism concern as with things packed in oil. But, I think it will go rancid within a period of some months and taste bad.

Personally, I would just leave out the oil and salt at this time. I guess the purpose of the oil is to brown/crisp the beets a bit, and probably to help the salt to stick. So, without it, the beets might be a bit more leathery, but should last longer.

You could probably always crips the beets in the oven with the oil and salt in small batches as you eat them.

o

Make them as the recipe says and then pop them in the freezer. Let them defrost and nuke them to warm when you want a treat. They will not be crispy but will be good! If you want long storage chips, I'd suggest you dry them "naked" in the dehydrator, freeze them, take out what you want, defrost, and then put on the oil and salt and heat them in the oven. They may crisp some or not, whatever, the taste of homegrown beets is lost on most people because they have never had them homegrown, sweet, and raw. Most everyone has enjoyed pickled beets and though that way is yummy, eating raw fresh and boiled/or crisped from the garden "beats" the heck out of those "beets".

Nancy

o

Thanks for the input. I was going to replace the canola oil with olive oil. We keep olive oil at room temperature and it doesn't go rancid, so I didn't think the chips would go rancid. Maybe I'll do some like the recipe suggests and also do some "naked". I love the beets in the Terra Chips, so I'm thinking this is a good way to use the Chioggia. These are the beets that are red and white on the inside like in this photo. They lose their stripped color easily and can become all light pink when cooked. I'm hoping that they don't lose their color with this recipe.
Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here