Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judydel_gw

Beet chips - Do they store long?

judydel
13 years ago

I have a row of Chioggia Beets and I've been researching what to do with them. Some I will store in our crawl space, but I can't put them in cold storage yet because we still are having warm days. So I'm thinking of making some chips. I like the recipe below and I'm assuming that the chips will keep in a jar indefinitely like other dehydrated veggies/fruits? Does anyone have experience to the contrary? I'd hate to make a bunch of these and then find out they don't keep.

Here's the recipe:

Baked Chioggia Beet Chips

For chips

* 2 medium beets with stems trimmed to 1 inch

* 1 cup water

* 1 Tablespoon canola oil

* Sea salt

Peel beets with a vegetable peeler, then slice thinly (but not too thinly) with mandolin or sharp knife, using stems as handles.

Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Add beets, then remove pan from heat and let stand 15 minutes. Drain beets in a colander, discarding liquid, then let stand in colander 15 minutes more. Toss beets with oil and salt.

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 225 F.

Line a shallow baking pan with nonstick liner, then arrange beet slices snugly in 1 layer. Bake beets until dry, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Immediately transfer chips to a rack to cool (chips will crisp as they cool).

Comments (5)