Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beautyberry jelly recipe

Posted by oukay (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 28, 12 at 14:52

Does anyone have a recipe for beautyberry jelly? I didn't find one in the archives. My plants are full of berries and I would like to try it this year. I did find a recipe on a foraging website (eattheweeds.com), but it did not have any added lemon juice and I was not sure if it was safe.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beautyberry jelly recipe

Found a couple and linked the best one below. But I don't know of any reason why any of the berry jelly recipes wouldn't work for them - blueberry, raspberry, loganberry, etc. - the basic ingredients are all the same.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Beauty Berry jelly recipe

o

I have made jelly from the American Beautyberry.

I used the Sure-Jell recipe for elderberries to make my Beautyberry Jelly. It includes 1/4 cup of lemon juice. This recipe called for fresh lemon juice, but I used bottled lemon juice. The proportions were the same in the Sure-Jell recipe as Beautyberry Jelly recipes I found online, but this one included the lemon juice.

I also used a trick I learned here, which is to add an extra tablespoon of pectin (in addition to the full package called for in the recipe) each time I make jelly. The set always comes out just right.

I had 6 cups of berries, and those 6 cups made EXACTLY the 3 cups of juice called for in the recipe. Lucky me. In making the juice, I used only enough water to cover the berries. Use too much water, and the color and taste of the jelly is diluted too much. I learned that lesson the first time I made mayhaw jelly.

The American Beautyberry may not taste good fresh off the bush, but it makes a lovely, tasty jelly. This is a jelly worth making.

The color of the jelly comes out a beautifuly clear jewel-toned garnet color---not at all the lavendar/purple I expected.

I really enjoy finding wild edibles and this plant is abundant in southeast Texas. I'm extremely cautious about all plant ID and always research all plants carefully as to safety and how to use the plant parts. Many people don't realize this plant makes a good jelly, because too many raw ones will give you a bellyache.

I haven't tried it yet, but I've read that rubbing the crushed leaves on your skin acts as a mosquito repellent.

Jill

Here is a link that might be useful: Sure-Jell Elderberry jelly recipe used to make Beautyberry Jelly

o

Just an update. I made the jelly yesterday with the recipe that Dave found. It is delicious and looks beautiful! Thanks for the help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here