Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bluebeery jam problem?

Posted by jomuir z5 detroit (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 25, 12 at 15:27

I made blueberry jam this year, first time canning anything. Used 8 oz. cans, BWB for 10 min, Ball recipe, Ball pectin. All sealed just fine, it was so cool hearing my jams pop while they cooled.

Fast forward a month or so, I opened a jar to add to a coffeecake. Top of jam was thick, then it poured out very liquidy. In fact when I first tried a jar, I thought it was a little too thick.

My questions are;
what happened?
Is this safe to consume? Jar was still sealed.

We ate the cake, and so far are alive, but my goal in making the jam wasn't for cooking, it was for spreading on toast. I have another 10 jars, and really don't want to toss them, but will if this is a food safety issue. I've had food poisoning before, do not want to get it again, esp. from my own cooking! TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bluebeery jam problem?

I have never heard of a jam separating like that. Probably we'd need to know more about the recipe and your process.

However, I can assure you you're not going to get food poisoning from blueberry jam. So thin or thick eat it without worries.

Carol

o

My suggestion would be to stir up each jar of jam as you open it to use it. Just stir it up real good to re-distribute the fruit into the jam. I've had this happen a lot with jams- the fruit rises to the top, leaving just jam and no fruit at the bottom- I suspect that's what's happened for you, only you can't see it well because blueberry jam is so dark. I just give each jar a thorough stirring when I open it up, and it's good to go. When I give someone a jar, I usually suggest that step to them as well, just in case.

o

Yes, that's possible. The fruit is lighter than the sugar-saturated syrup and in a preserve fruit will often float. It's somewhat less likely in a jam. There are ways to address that problem but stirring works just as well.

Carol

o

• Posted by jomuir z5 detroit (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 26, 12 at 19:07

thanks everyone! I followed the recipe & instructions that was inside the box of Ball jars, it had crushed fresh berries, sugar, lemon juice & powdered pectin. (The recipe may have been on the pectin, but it was ball brand pectin).

It was def. BWB processed for a min. of 10 min, it did take a couple min for the water to come back to a rolling boil.
I'll stir up the open jar in the fridge, I noticed it was thick but haven't gotten too far into that jar.

If it's thinner that's fine by me I prefer it thinner. I love this one European blueberry jam, it's thinner than American jams, but all blueberry jams seem harder to find in the store & cost a lot more than strawberry/grape.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here