Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cannond_gw

Help With Too Much Cider

cannond
11 years ago

We had a pig roast fundraiser yesterday and I have ten gallons of cider left over.

I've got five gallons boiling down for boiled cider, but I'm wondering, for the other five gallons what shall I make?

I think some cider jelly would be in order, but do any of you know if I can bottle cider syrup in quart jars? How long would I process?

Deborah

Comments (7)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

That would be a humongous amount of cider jelly!

Just freeze the cider in portions and then use it in many different ways - baking, drinking, marinades, sauces, jelly, etc. - through the winter.

Make cider muffins, mini-cakes or better yet, cider doughnuts and freeze them. Buy apples and use it to make applesauce and/or apple butter for canning.

If I was going to cook it into syrup then I'd process it just like the apple jelly recipes - 5 min for pints but no quarts.

Dave

• cannond
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Dave. Why no quarts for syrup? Is it because no testing has been done?

I forgot to add, I'm out of freezer space. One chest and one upright, and both are full. And at $7.00 a gallon, I don't want to give this stuff away.

Deborah

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

It's not hard cider is it? If not, I don't see why you just couldn't can it as "apple juice" IAW NCHFP instructions, since they say to buy it from a local cider maker.

They do say within 24 hrs of pressing, I don't know if you know when it was pressed, but I assume if it's been refrigerated the whole time it's OK? I mean, it's not as *you've* had it a week?

Then you can make syrup, jelly, whatever at your leisure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple Juice

• cannond
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did buy it from a local cider/orchard, but I don't know when it was pressed. I think this idea of using NCHFP's juice instructions is a good one, though. Thanks.

Deborah

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Does it have a "sell by" or "good until" date on it? You could always call them (even if just have a batch number on it) and find out when it was pressed.

i don't know if it's been more than 24 hrs if there's a problem canning it, NCHFP doesn't say if there's a time limit, they just say "for best results"...

If it was pasteurized (which I assume it was) you'll have to add some pectin later to make jelly with it.

• cannond
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ajsmama, it wasn't dated. I think that's because I put in a special order for the date of the hog roast. It was pasteurized. Following your link, I processed it. I did boil it to reduce it somewhat first.

Then, I found an additional four and a half gallons of apple/raspberry cider in the basement refrigerator. Good grief... Now what can I do with it, apart from just canning it as juice?

We had more people at the fundraiser than I anticipated. No food left, just cider.

This never ends. Thanks for that link; it was a lifesaver.

Deborah

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Apple/raspberry - mmmmm! I'd still can it as juice, and make jelly or syrup later.

If I lived closer, I'd take some of that off your hands!