Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john__showme__usa

veggie brush

John__ShowMe__USA
12 years ago

Looking for a brush with soft bristles that would be suitable for cleaning veggies like radishes, cukes or even tomatoes w/o damaging the skin.

Thanks..

Comments (20)

• val_s
    12 years ago

I picked up one at my local Kroger fairly cheap. I just felt all the bristles until I found a soft one. Mine was in the aisle with all the cleaning supplies.

Val

• John__ShowMe__USA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Val,

Thanks much for your reply!

No Kroger around here. I live in the boonies with the possums (8 so far this month) and have to drive 30 miles to a Sams, 20 miles to nearest Walmart etc and do a lot of mail order.

john

• dgkritch
    12 years ago

John, I just use a kitchen sponge. The kind with sponge one side and a light plastic scrubber on the other. I find the scrubber works well for removing the spines on cukes, any persistent dirt on potatoes, etc. The sponge side works for more tender things like zucchini and mushrooms.
    I just keep a dedicated one for veggies.

And they're available almost anywhere!

Deanna

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

tons of choices at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A284507%2Ck%3Avegetable%20brushes&page=1

and Walmart here offers 3 or 4 different choices.

Dave

• John__ShowMe__USA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Deanna,

That same sponge is what I have been using and most of the time I think does a great job. I still want to try a soft-bristled brush. Checked out all the brushes at my Walmart store this morning and they were all too stiff IMO.

Also looking for a good bottle brush or sponge for cleaning regular mouth quart canning jars. Sure wish my hand could reach inside that small opening far enough so could use above sponge like I do with pint jars.

Thanks for your reply!

jt

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

John, I have a mushroom brush I use on softer vegetables...and mushrooms ;) I've had it so long I really don't remember where I bought it but there are lots online from $2 on up to way more than I would ever pay for one.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• psittacine
    12 years ago

The link is to the one I found recently - locally for $3-$5 - to use on the 100's pound of peppers I have to scrub before grilling. It works well and is comfortable to use. Not 'too' soft, though I think it would work well on tomatoes too, I must admit I bought a tougher one for scrubbing potatoes and cantaloupe... and I use a veggie-dedicated green Scotch Bright scrubber for the small heavier dirt areas on potatoes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Libman veggie brush

• John__ShowMe__USA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the replies. That mushroom brush I want to get for sure.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Has anyone tried the Clipper Mill brushes? I wonder if they are different bristles or just different colors?

Here is a link that might be useful: Clipper Mill brushes

• nancyofnc
    12 years ago

Just today I picked up a brush meant for cleaning baby bottles at K-Mart, for less than $3. Perhaps that is what you need to clean those regular mouth canning jars? Link is to Amazon but I'd bet you can find one in any big box, or any -Mart, perhaps even the baby section at the grocery store.

For vegetable cleaning I have used the scrubber sponge but I also have used a new artist's paint brush (using it dry) for mushrooms and a brush meant for floor cleaning with nylon bristles for root crops. BTW a Scotch Brite green nylon scrubbing pads also takes off fresh carrot peels.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Bottle Brush

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

We have the Clippermill yellow one for corn. Removes the silks while cleaning. Works great. Don't know if the other colors are the same but the corn brush plastic bristles would be too soft for scrubbing potatoes and such IMO.

Dave

• John__ShowMe__USA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I Amazoned the Joie Mushroom Brush and 2 diff Clipper Mill brushes yesterday. There is a K-Mart about 20 miles away and I'll look at the bottle brush next time I go shopping.

Thanks much!

john

• John__ShowMe__USA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This might be good too...

Here is a link that might be useful: Victorio Large Jar Cleaning Brush

• dgkritch
    12 years ago

You might check in the beauty department and see if a fingernail brush is softer too. I keep one of those in the shower with a bottle of diluted bleach for scrubbing out the berry/tomato/garden dirt! Another near the kitchen sink.

No reason you couldn't use one for veggies.

Deanna

• John__ShowMe__USA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Did not go to K-Mart for nancedar's suggestion because found one at Walmart today while picking up a prescription that I think is going to work just great. Very sturdy handle and the brush part very flexable. $3.76

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:957922}}

• rockguy
    12 years ago

Showing my age here, but back in the 1950's we had a salesman that would come by every month or two- The Fuller Brush Man. He had a brush for every job. Maybe with all these people out of work something like this will start up again. I like shopping online OK, but there's nothing like being able to touch and feel before you buy.

• nancyofnc
    12 years ago

rockyguy - I sorta dimly remember our "Fuller Brush Man" (was 6 on to maybe 12). He always gave my mom a "free" gift, and she always blushed (he was very handsome). A few years ago, I spent the devil of a time on-line trying to find a horsehair broom for my cork floors. He would have had one in his sleek Studebaker swept-back-trunk car.

The broom I found is here (won't scratch, lasts forever, washable, better than a vacuum) http://www.germandeli.com/cobefbrhomix.html

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Fuller Brush Man's Car

• Trishcuit
    12 years ago

I was at a Norwex home party. Their 'thing' is microfibre cloths etc. I bought their veggie cleaning cloth. One side has more 'texture' to it than the other. Basically with the damp cloth in hand you just pass the veggie through once or so, twisting or whatever your style is, and done. It was probably not the cheapest way to go but it works. And a person tends to feel obligated at these home parties to buy SOMETHING. It is quite effective, I can't complain. And it seems extremely durable.

The cloth is the top right in the rows.

Here is a link that might be useful: Norwex fruit and veggie cloth.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I for sure remember the Fuller Brush Man in the small rural Minnesoter village where I grew up in the 40s, 50s and early 60s. All sorts of door to door salespeople back then.

Check this warning label out:

Is on my new bottle brush packaging. So how should our veggie brushes, wash cloths, sponges etc be kept clean? I really don't want to replace every 4-6 weeks.

And that dish towel hanging on the fridge door handle... yecch!

And the kitchen sink....

• John__ShowMe__USA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Got the brush(es) order that I Amazoned in the mail this morning. Very happy with the two Clipper Mill brushes & yes, the bristles are different on the two types I ordered. The asparagus brush fills the bill re my original post, but still plan to order the Clipper Mill mushroom brush the next time am putting together an order.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler