Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tucker303

Apple Cider Syrup Recipe

tucker303
16 years ago

If there is one on here to can, pls help me find it. I have extra cider left over from Apple Cider Jelly and thought a pancake syrup would be nice.....

Comments (8)

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Here's one. There are a lot of similar recipes; some have less butter, some increase or decrease the spices or just use cinnamon, not nutmeg.

This isn't a canning recipe, of course.

Apple Cider Syrup
    CDKitchen http://www.cdkitchen.com

Category: Syrup
    Serves/Makes: 2.5 cups

Ingredients:
    2 cups apple cider or apple juice
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 cup butter
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Directions:
    Mix together sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg in saucepan. Pour in juice (apple and lemon). Cook and stir constantly until thickened and boils. Boil and stir one minute. Remove from heat and stir in butter. Serve warm over pancakes.

Recipe Location: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/1018/AppleCiderSyrup69820.shtml
    Recipe ID: 40601

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Simlpy boil it down to whatever consistancy you like. Keep in mimd that because you are removing most of the water, the natural pectin will set it up as a gel. You don't need to add anything, except maybe a bit of cinnamon and cardamom. To add more complex flavor, add a little honey and also maple syrup.

• Linda_Lou
    16 years ago

I use this recipe all the time with great results. It should work fine for your syrup, too. Season with spices as you want, too.
    Syrups made from blackberries, huckleberries, raspberries, boysenberries, loganberries, sour cherries, and Island Belle grapes as well as mixtures of berries are of good flavor, color, and consistency (thin like maple syrup, medium thick like corn syrup, or slightly jelled). Syrups can be made with or without pectin and lemon juice. Lemon juice may improve color. Use of pectin will vary consistency.

To Prepare Fruit Puree:
    Sort, stem, and wash ripe fruit or thaw frozen unsweetened fruit; crush fruit thoroughly; measure crushed fruit. Add 1 cup boiling water to each 4 cups crushed fruit and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer to soften--about 5 for soft fruits...about 10 minutes for firm fruits like cherries and grapes. Press through sieve.

SYRUPS MADE WITH PUREE
    4 cups puree
    4 cups sugar
    1/2 package or less powdered pectin (if desired)
    3 or 4 Tbsp lemon juice (if desired)

1. Mix puree, sugar, pectin and lemon juice.
    2. Bring to boil and stir for 2 minutes (boil till jelly thermometer reaches 218F).
    3. Remove from heat, skim off foam, and pour into 1/2 pint or 1 pint jars to within 1/2 inch of top.
    4. Adjust lids and process in boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes.
    5. Remove from canner and cool.
    6. Check lids, label, and store in cool, dry place.

To Prepare Fruit Juice:
    Sort, stem and wash ripe fruit or thaw frozen, unsweetened fruit; crush fruit thoroughly. Place crushed fruit in dampened jelly bag and drain. For clearest juice, do not press bag to extract juice. For firm fruits, heat is needed to start flow of juice. Add about 1/2 cup water to each 3 cups crushed fruit. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Place hot fruit in dampened jelly bag; drain.

SYRUPS MADE WITH JUICE
    4 cups juice
    4 cups sugar
    1/4 cup lemon juice (if desired)
    1/2 package or less powdered pectin (if desired)

1. Mix juice, sugar, lemon juice and pectin.
    2. Bring to boil and boil 2 minutes.
    3. Remove from heat, skim off foam, and pour into 1/2 pint or 1 pint canning jars to within 1/2 inch of top.
    4. Adjust lids and process in boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes.
    5. Remove from canner and let cool.
    6. Check lids, labels, and store in cool, dry place.

• tucker303
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions! I was thinking...and that could be a bad thing....if I make a syrup...can I add some apple chunks or slices that have been cooked? Kinda like a jam that is runny. Maybe use an apple jam recipe and just cook it down with no pectin? I think the answer is yes but just want to be sure for safety's sake.

I know everyone strives for the firm jam!!! Just thinking...

• tucker303
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK...now I am thinking and all circuits are firing....of course I can use a jam variation! Never mind...I think...

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Sure, the apple pie jam might work well for that. Use cider instead of water (or half and half water and cider). I'd still use pectin but only, say, half a package, for some thickening but not the consistency of jam.

Carol

• annie1992
    16 years ago

I agree, Carol, I think a half package of pectin would thicken but not jell. Or I'd leave the pectin out altogether and just cook it until it thickens.

Annie

• kayskats
    16 years ago

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/240599

this is a super simple syrup from current issue of Gourmet.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES