Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cabrita_gw

101 things to make with zucchini or summer squash

cabrita
15 years ago

Come on folks, help me out! I doubt I can come up with more than 10, but maybe you can add to the list and keep it going? I still have zuchs that sneak up on me and turn into baseball bats before I can see them....so many zucchinis and summer squash this year!

I will start. If any of the recipes sound interesting just ask and I can post them here.

1. Zucchini bread

2. Cream of zucchini soup (can be served cold or hot)

3. Chow chow relish

4. Zucchini cheese pie in a potato crust

5. Add some to minestrone soup

6. As an ingredient in ratatouille

7. Summer squash hummus (yellow summer squash works well)

8. Pick them as babies and slice them thin, use raw in salads

9. Beer batter fry them

10. Tempura them

11. Pick the flowers, use them in squash flower quesadillas

12. Grate them with carrots and add to my beloved chihuahuas food (yes, my dogs love carrots and zucchinis and yes I cook for them - they say garden carrots are much better than commercial carrots....)

13. Cut them in 1/4 inch slices and dehydrate them or sun dry them. Use them in backpacking food recipes.

14. As an ingredient in vegetarian paella.

15. As an ingredient in gumbo.

Hey, that was more than 10...LOL...I might think of more latter, my lunch break is over, please add more!

Comments (80)

• aussielover_oh
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I love zucchini fries
    Cut zucchine into sticks, then bread them with:
    Bread crumbs (I like italian bread crumbs for this)
    parmesan cheese
    minced garlic
    salt/pepper to taste
    (I just combine to look good, sorry no measurements)

do a three stage breading, 1st a flour dip, then an egg dip, then bread in the bread crumb mixture,
    place on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees

• mom2wildboys
    14 years ago

I have a cookbook that I love: The Classic Zucchini Cookbook. This is the resource I turn to in summer when the squash are OUT OF CONTROL! My kids' favorites are the "Zapple Cake" and "Zapple Bars", where they zukes/summer squash are peeled and mixed with lemon juice, cinnamon, sugar, etc. to simulate apples. Yum!

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

I hope it is OK to bump an old thread up to the top.

I raise extra zucchini, and let some of it deliberately grow big, because I make my dogs' food. I use summer squash, winter squash, and pumpkins for the vegetable component in some of the batches of dog food.

The dogs like some veggies and dislike others. Squash is on the "like" list and pumpkin is on the adored list. (They refuse to eat green peas, but enjoy Mexican dog food made with chili peppers.)

For the people, my grandmother's recipe:

Yellow Squash Casserole

Simmer sliced yellow crooknecks and diced onion until barely tender.

Drain and place in a baking dish.

Blend eggs and milk add black pepper and salt to taste.

Pour the milk mixture over the veggies and bake until the custard is set.

I seem to remember that Grandma topped the casserole with buttered bread crumbs before she placed it in the oven. I bake it without, but pass the Parmesan when it is served.

• pixie_lou
    13 years ago

My basic stand by's aren't on this list yet! Though I'm definitely going to try the large grilled slices as burgers this year.

Zucchini Latkes - shredded zucchini mixed with beaten egg, s&p. Fry in skillet. (We serve them on rolls with ketchup.)

Zucchini Noodles - shred zucchini, saute in olive oil and garlic, add s&p. Boil spaghetti noodles, reserve some liquid, add noodles to zucchini, add liquid as needed. Serve with shaky cheese.

Zucchini Bake - large chunks of zucchini, an onion - then maybe some other over abundant veggies in the garden or some previously sauteed ground beef - put all in a casserole dish, dump a jar of spaghetti sauce over it. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. Serve over pasta or rice.

I make a yummy savory zucchini bread - it's a quick bread but with olive oil, salt and pepper, parm cheese.

Last year I tried to dehydrate - sliced zucchini sprinkled with salt - to make a mock potato chip. We weren't thrilled with the results, but others were.

• pyxiwulf
    13 years ago

I can't believe zucchini candy hasn't made it to the list!

I am so looking forward to an over-abundance of zucchini after reading this list. I might have to rescue the rest of my untransplanted seedlings!

• MLcom
    13 years ago

My summer squash is comming in so figure time to let every one take a peek at this older thread lots of wonderful ideas here.
    Who is searching for a fantastic zucccini bread made from here last year that so rocked.

ML

• fitzefatz
    13 years ago

sweet&sour zucchini

you can prepare large zucchini the same way as big yellow pumpkins

- get rid of the soft seed stuff
    - chop the firm rind into chunks (1/2 inch ^3 approx)
    - prepare brine:
    water, vinegar, sugar, cinnamon and some cloves, maybe some lemon peel, ginger etc
    - boil the stuff
    - throw chunks in
    - boil a very few minutes, you want it "al dente"
    - let cool and then into the fridge
    - next day it's perfect
    - or can the stuff

http://www.marions-kochbuch.de/rezept/3301.htm or
    http://www.genial-lecker.de/archiv/2006/10/rezept-kuerbis-suess-sauer.html
    too bad it's only in german

1 recipe gives the following measures:

4 pounds zucchini/pumpkin junks
    2 pounds sugar
    1 pint 10% vinegar
    1 pint water

• lostyooper
    13 years ago

Cut into thin strips. Stir fried with onions, garlic, sesame oil, soy sauce and pepper.

• growinidaho
    13 years ago

My dh likes his stir fried.
    chopped cabbage, onions, zucchini, garlic and add some tomatoes
    (any other fresh picked veggie)

Stir fry and top with sweet chili sauce

• karencon
    13 years ago

Visiting from the tomato forum....

Zucchini Bake (great appetizer or breakfast bake)

3 c. zucchini (sliced thin, or grated)
    1 c. Bisquick mix
    1/2 c. chopped onion
    1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
    2 tbsp. parsley
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    1/2 tsp. oregano
    1/2 c. oil
    4 eggs, beaten
    Dash of garlic

Mix all ingredients together in large bowl. Pour into large pie dish, or casserole, or oblong glass baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until firm (butter baking dish).

Enjoy,
    Karen

• gail_ish
    13 years ago

My girlfriend pulverizes it and adds it to her brownies (just a pre-mixed box from the store) to bring down the number of weight watcher points each piece is worth. You could probably do that with other recipes as well

• seedmama
    13 years ago

BEER BATTERED ZUCCHINI

BEER BATTER ZUCCHINI FRITTERS

Mix equal parts of good quality beer, flat and at room temp, and flour. And micro grated ginger and finely minced garlic to taste. Add salt and pepper to taste. Use to batter slices of zucchini, then fry. If I have time I sweat the zucchini with salt, then drain, before I batter it.

The next day I mix leftover batter, refrigerated but brought back to room temp, with grated zucchini. Drop by spoonfuls into hot grease. Turn once.
    Seedmama

• murkey
    13 years ago

These taste a lot like crab cakes, really good. Don't make them too dry. Also good in a small version served as appetizers.

Zucchini "Crab" Cakes

2 cups coarsely shredded Zucchini
    1 small Onion finely chopped or grated
    1 cup Italian Bread crumbs
    1 tablespoon Mayonnaise
    2-3 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
    1 large beaten egg
    pepper to taste

Place Zucchini and onions in colander and lightly squeeze to drain some of the liquid
    Combine with remaining ingredients
    Form 4 large or 6 small patties
    Fry in hot oil over medium heat until browned on both sides

• leesa_b
    13 years ago

Don't know what number we are on but I do several more things with zuch. I slice in lengthwise and use it instead of lasagna noodles when I make lasagna. I also roast it with the tomatoes and onions when I make Katies roasted tomato sauce and can in with the rest. I steam it and put sloppy joe meat over it or hamburger helper kind of meat on top. My fav is listed above with the mozarella and sauce on top of it. My kids eat it raw with ranch dip. I stir fry it with summer squash, onions, red peppers, garlic and soy sauce and then freeze in containers that make it easy to add some leftover meat to for stir fry. I can it with okra, tomatoes, peppers, onions for a quick mix I can throw over a pork loin for a great winter stew in the crock pot.

• aunt-tootie
    13 years ago

I'm with Pixie Lou and Neohippie.

Take the large size squash and zukes (you know the ones that hide for three days under the leaves before you find them). Slice them 1/8 inch thick, blanch them for 30 seconds, dry them and sprinkle salt (I use Kosher) and onion powder on them. Dry them in the dehydrator until crispy like potato chips. Yum!

• nancyofnc
    13 years ago

Wow - aunt-tootie - you are right they are just yum!

Nancy

• annie1992
    13 years ago

aunt tootie, I'm going to have to try that, I'm overrun with zucchini right now, in spite of the fact that I made two batches of Linda Lou's zucchini candy and a batch of zucchini relish with horseradish and hot peppers.

Annie

• aunt-tootie
    13 years ago

Annie,
    I think you'll enjoy the chips. My zuke and squash plants have bitten the dust (SVB I think), and I have to admit that I am somewhat relieved.

Nancy,
    Have you tried different seasonings on your chips?

• cabrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I saved this thread on a word document, since GW suffers from disappearing acts at times. If this happens, you can get it back as a word document, or I can paste the whole thread here?

I will try to recompile the list. There are some new great ideas since #51. I think the candy one was posted here but it went away. There is also another thread just on zucchini candy. Will bump in a minute.

We have lots of winter squash planted, but the zucchini/summer squash has been mercifully subdued in our garden. We planted 3 black beauties, of which we got only one medium size fruit (but more coming). The other two summer squash are compost pile volunteers, most likely hybrids. Very vigorous, one of them looks like patty pan, saucer like, star symmetry. Very light green color that rippens to almost white, by which time it gets seedy and the skin has to be peeled. The 3 large ones of these made it into candy, Mint and cinnamon-hot pepper. The small, still green starburst were cut in circles, marinated in herbs and olive oil and grilled. Delicious. I am contemplating making Annie's gratin since we have heaps of tomatoes - black, carbon, black brandywine and cherokee purple. Last year it was very good, we both loved it. I would use the hybrid semi yellow straight neck squash for that, also very tasty. Can't complain about the compost pile volunteer mongrels. In any case, with just 3 productive summer squash plants, we do not have an excess. I love it that it is 3 different types too. Just compost pile luck.

• cabrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, here are the first 51, still have to summarize the other suggestions. Feel free to help, or I'll do it later.

I started the thread last year when i was drowning in summer squash of different types.

1. Zucchini bread

2. Cream of zucchini soup (can be served cold or hot)

3. Chow chow relish

4. Zucchini cheese pie in a potato crust

5. Add some to minestrone soup

6. As an ingredient in ratatouille

7. Summer squash hummus (yellow summer squash works well)

8. Pick them as babies and slice them thin, use raw in salads

9. Beer batter fry them

10. Tempura them

11. Pick the flowers, use them in squash flower quesadillas

12. Grate them with carrots and add to my beloved chihuahuas food (yes, my dogs love carrots and zucchinis and yes I cook for them - they say garden carrots are much better than commercial carrots....)

13. Cut them in 1/4 inch slices and dehydrate them or sun dry them. Use them in backpacking food recipes.

14. As an ingredient in vegetarian paella.

15. As an ingredient in gumbo.

16. Grate and freeze enough for one zucchini bread recipe in ziplock bags

17. Substitute for eggplant and make zucchini parmesan.

18. Grill them.

19. Juice them and use the juice in soups (freeze the juice?)

20. Grate them and add them to cole slaw, or make cole slaw come up with recipe

21. Cook (one can sautee in olive oil or butter and onions), puree, and freeze. Use later for soups

22. Partial dehydration and freezing (would take care of the mushiness upon thawing problem?)

23. Substitute for eggplant in Moussaka

24. zuch or yellow squash casserole

25. Obviously you can give it away, or try to give it away, to whoever might want some.friends that do not garden, coworkers, neighbors, food kitchens, on and on...

26. Squash pie (sweet, as in a desert pie)

27. Zucchini brownies

28. Zucchini chocolate cake

29. Sauteed with garlic, onion and butter.

1. Make zucchini chutney.

31. Baked zucchini breaded (in slices?)

32. Marinate raw for a salad or as part of a salad (use young tender ones)

33. Sauteed zucchini and corn with oven roasted tomatoes

34. Cut thinly lengthwise and substitute for lasagna noodle.

35. Zucchini boats or stuffed zucchini (recipe sounds yummy...)

36. Zucchini oatmeal muffins (adding oatmeal sounds good!)

37. Use as a pizza topping. Either slice very thinly and use raw, or pre-sautée with olive oil, a little salt and optional herbs/garlic.

38. Zucchini frittata.

39.zucchini fritters

40.zucchini slaw

41.savory french toast with zucchini baked in

42.zucchini hash with meat of your choice cooked in

43. I freeze shredded zukes and mid-winter toss them into tomato sauce and on top of pasta.

44. Last summer I posted a recipe for mock apple pie & crisp...that really does taste like apple.

45. Pickle them like you would cucumbers. Especially Bread & Butter pickles yum

46. Grate zucchini or summer squash, sautee in olive oil adding some onions and garlic, add a little salt and add an equal volume of grated cheese. Use to make a lighter and better textured filling for cheese enchiladas. Fill tortillas, roll and cover with enchilada sauce of choice (green and red both work). Bake at 350F for 20 minutes.

47. Dice them up small (1/4 inch) and toss them into Spanish rice just as it's done cooking. Let it sit for 5 minutes-- the ambient heat cooks them perfectly crisp-tender.

48. Use instead of broccoli in Green Rice.

49. Grate them, steam them, and sprinkle with a little bit of sugar, cinnamon and a dash of lemon juice (opt.). Eat it like apple sauce.

50. GRATIN OF ZUCCHINI AND TOMATOES (Annie's)

51. SOLS ZUCCHINI PANCAKES (Savory, like potato pancakes)

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    13 years ago

Coarsely grate, package in 1-cup portions, freeze. Use throughout the winter in everything -- casseroles, soups and stews, breads, oatmeal and similar cooked cereals, pancakes, sauces, cakes, rice, stir fries, sloppy joes, hamburger helper type dishes -- whatever.

Coarsely grate or thinly slice. Cover with pineapple juice. Freeze or can and use for "zucchini" upside down cake.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

I just made two lovely batches of Linda Lou's zucchini candy, one lime and one black cherry. The kids love it!

Annie

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Earlier this week I made the Zucchini Cakes, which were okay, and then yesterday I made the some of the Zucchini Oatmeal Muffins. Threw in a couple of overripe bananas and some raisins too. Delish!

Went by the community garden this afternoon and found three more ripe squashes, two Black Beauty and one Cocozelle.

Hmmm ... what to try next. I'm thinking the Bread & Butter Pickles sound good, and I need to look up that Zucchini Candy recipe, since I forgot to print it last year.

Thank you so much for all of the great ideas!

Bonnie

• cabrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

52. Zucchini candy
    53. Coarsely grate or thinly slice. Cover with pineapple juice. Freeze or can and use for "zucchini" upside down cake.
    54. Zucchini butter. Use pureed zucchini in your apple butter recipes. Really good.
    55. They make good additions to spaghetti sauce.
    56. Zucchini fries
    Cut zucchini into sticks, then bread them with:
    Bread crumbs (I like Italian bread crumbs for this)
    parmesan cheese
    minced garlic
    salt/pepper to taste
    (I just combine to look good, sorry no measurements)
    Do a three stage breading, 1st a flour dip, then an egg dip, then bread in the bread crumb mixture, place on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees
    57. Yellow Squash Casserole
    Simmer sliced yellow crooknecks and diced onion until barely tender.
    Drain and place in a baking dish.
    Blend eggs and milk add black pepper and salt to taste.
    Pour the milk mixture over the veggies and bake until the custard is set.
    I seem to remember that Grandma topped the casserole with buttered bread crumbs before she placed it in the oven. I bake it without, but pass the Parmesan when it is served.
    58. Zucchini Latkes - shredded zucchini mixed with beaten egg, s&p. Fry in skillet. (We serve them on rolls with ketchup.)
    59. Zucchini Noodles - shred zucchini, saute in olive oil and garlic, add s&p. Boil spaghetti noodles, reserve some liquid, add noodles to zucchini, add liquid as needed. Serve with shaky cheese.
    60. Zucchini Bake - large chunks of zucchini, an onion - then maybe some other over abundant veggies in the garden or some previously sauteed ground beef - put all in a casserole dish, dump a jar of spaghetti sauce over it. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. Serve over pasta or rice.
    61. I make a yummy savory zucchini bread - it's a quick bread but with olive oil, salt and pepper, parm cheese. Recipe, please?
    62. Zucchini chips
    63. Sweet and sour zucchini.
    64. Cut into thin strips. Stir fried with onions, garlic, sesame oil, soy sauce and pepper.
    65. Stir fried: chopped cabbage, onions, zucchini, garlic and add some tomatoes
    (any other fresh picked veggie). Stir fry and top with sweet chili sauce
    66. Zucchini Bake (great appetizer or breakfast bake) (with bisquick).
    67. Zucchini "Crab" Cakes
    68. Dry, pulverize, and add to brownies or other baked goods to reduce calories and/or glycemic index.
    69. Roast it with the tomatoes and onions when making Katies roasted tomato sauce and can in with the rest.
    70. Steamed and put over sloppy joe meat or on top of hamburger helper kind of meat.
    71. Serve raw with ranch dip.
    72. Stir fried it with summer squash, onions, red peppers, garlic and soy sauce and then freeze in containers that make it easy to add some leftover meat to for stir fry.
    73. Canned with okra, tomatoes, peppers, onions for a quick mix to throw over a pork loin for a great winter stew in the crock pot.
    74. Zucchini crisps? Take the large size squash and zukes (you know the ones that hide for three days under the leaves before you find them). Slice them 1/8 inch thick, blanch them for 30 seconds, dry them and sprinkle salt (I use Kosher) and onion powder on them. Dry them in the dehydrator until crispy like potato chips. Yum!

• pixie_lou
    13 years ago

Recipe for #61 -

Zucchni-Parmesan Bread

Makes 1 loaf. Recipe can be doubled. (It freezes well)

Whisk together:
    1/3 c. olive oil
    1/3 c. milk
    2 eggs

Sift together:
    2c. flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1-1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper

Stir into the dry ingredients:
    1 c. grated parmesan cheese
    1 med zucchini - grated

Then stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients
    Pour into a greased and floured loaf pan

Bake at 375 for 60-70 minutes

Note on cheese - use fresh parmesan - not the stuff in a can. I use the pre-shredded stuff in a bag I tried grating my own fresh parmesan, but didn't find much improvement in taste to justify the additional expense.

(I know that I have made this in mini-loaf pans. But I don't have a note as to how many mini loaves it made or how long I baked it.)

• dan_zn_5
    13 years ago

I like to add them to my shish-ca-bobs, and also slice 1/8" along with cukes in cider vinegar.
    I also do a couple of plantings to "balance" the harvest throughout the summer.....Dan

• marymac
    13 years ago

Last year I made Mock Pineapple with zucchini. It was very much like the real thing and you can use it like pineapple in recipes that call for crushed or chunk pineapple. You can Google the recipes for it, they are all very similar.

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

Does anybody have the recipe for the mock apple pie? I didn't see it on the Greatest Hits thread. TIA

• BDmaven
    13 years ago

Barbara Kingsolver's Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies
    My kids adore them!

ZUCCHINI CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
    (Makes about two dozen)

1 egg, beaten
    ½ cup butter, softened
    ½ cup brown sugar
    1/3 cup honey
    1 tbsp. vanilla extract
    Combine in large bowl.

1 cup white flour
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    ½ tsp baking soda
    ¼ tsp salt
    ¼ tsp cinnamon
    ¼ tsp nutmeg
    Combine in a separate, small bowl and blend into liquid mixture.

1 cup finely shredded zucchini
    12 oz chocolate chips

Stir these into other ingredients, mix well. Drop by spoonful onto greased baking sheet, and flatten with the back of a spoon. Bake at 350°, 10 to 15 minutes.

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

This recipe was posted on another GW forum. I haven't tried it, but I just bought the ingredients to make it. Well, except for the zucchini ... no need to purchase that.

Raw Zucchini Hummus (yields over 3 cups; you can easily cut this recipe in half)

2 zucchini, chopped
    ½ cup lemon juice
    1 tsp salt
    1 ½ tsp cumin
    1 cup raw tahini (the Artisana brand is nice; substitute regular tahini if you need to)
    4 tbsp olive oil
    ½ cup raw sesame seeds

Vitamix instructions:

Put all ingredients in your Vitamix and blend to a rich perfection!

Food processor instructions:

Same as above. You may have a hard time blending the sesame seeds, so I recommend soaking them for a few hours first, halving the recipe, and stopping frequently to scape the bowl. You can also omit the seeds entirely, but in that case I also recommend omitting the olive oil to keep a thick consistency.

• Bob (Seattle, Zone 8a)
    13 years ago

Mücver - Turkey

This is a common thing to do with summer squash here. You can play with the quantities according to taste; some people make them with a lot higher batter-to-squash ratio but I like more squash.

4 or so medium-sized zucchini
    1 lg onion
    2 eggs
    flour

Grate the squash and add around a tablespoon or so of salt and let stand for 45 minutes, then squeeze all the extra water out. Place in a bowl.

Finely chop the onion and saute it in olive oil, add to the squash. Add the eggs, mix well, then add flour until you have a medium thick batter. It should be a little thicker than typical pancake batter. Add some pepper. The squash will probably still exude a bit more liquid.

Drop by spoonfuls into a skillet with heated olive oil and fry like pancakes. Serve with yogurt.

You probably won't need to add any salt but taste the first one just to make sure.

If you like you can also add a bit of crumbled feta cheese to the mix. Chopped peppers are another option; if you use them, fry them with the onions.

BTW the ü is pronounced like the German ü or the French eu; the "c" is pronounced like "j." Mewjver.

• nabeena
    12 years ago

I have an important zucchini suggestion: Do not let them get big. I live in the middle east and we eat zucchini all the time, it is usually no bigger than 4-6 inches and it is wonderful. I never liked it before.

My husband loves it slowly sauteed on low heat until tender with just salt and pepper, also can add those to some bechamel with a little parmesean and bake for a few minutes. YUM. I also saute with any other veg on hand, peppers, tomatoes, onions.

Husband also likes that style of zucchini layeered in bottom of pan with ground beef/onions/salt/pepper a little nutmeg and covered with bechamel. He's egyptian, he likes the white sauce:) that is actually a classic egyptian meal and it is pretty yummy.

Anyway, harvest when the zucchini is young and tender and you won't need to dump the end of season harvest on your neighbors doorstep when they aren't looking to be rid of the excess.

• tracydr
    12 years ago

Squash blossom soup, squash blossom quesadilla, stuffed squash blossoms, fried squash blossoms.

• sugarmaple
    12 years ago

Well, 'tis the season for zucchini. I really enjoyed reading all the recipes and will soon be trying some. Here is my addition to the list:

Zucchini Supreme

4-5 small zucchinis (or 1 large zucchini)
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 sm. can sliced mushrooms
    (or 1/2 lb. fresh sliced mushrooms)
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 cup of sour cream
    1 stick of butter
    1 pack herbed stuffing mix (reserve 1/2 cup)
    1/2 cup grated swiss cheese

Slice zucchini and boil until tender. In frying pan, melt butter and saute onion and mushrooms, then mix in all EXCEPT the 1/2 cup reserve of the stuffing. In large bowl, mix sour cream, soup and cheese. Add the squash and the stuffing mix and gently stir all together.
    Spoon into greased casserole dish and bake at 325 for 25 to 30 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of reserved stuffing mix on top for the last 10 minutes of the baking time.
    This is like a stuffing dish and I've only used as a side dish - I've never stuffed a turkey with it. If you try it I hope you enjoy. Colleen

• Dennis.Weaver
    11 years ago

"The Last Zucchini Cookie"

Can you make 100 variations with one cookie recipe?

I wrote an e-book of this title on how to bake with zucchini. The biggest problem is in controlling the amount of water you wring from your zucchini in mixing the batter so that you have uniform batter each time. If you mix too much, you have too much water, your batter is too wet, and the cookies spread too much and your quick breads are soggy.

Anyway, this is the title recipe.

You really can make a hundred variations with exchanges of nuts, flavors, dried fruits, coconut, pineapple, baking chips, and more. If you use crushed pineapple or grated apples, you�ll have to add a couple tablespoons of water to absorb the extra moisture.

Oh, and add the zucchini right at the end mixing as little as possible.

The Last Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cookie Recipe
    Basic cookie recipe:

1/2 cup butter
    2/3 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon brown sugar flavor or Madagascar vanilla
    2 large eggs
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    2 1/2 cups all purpose flour

Inclusions:
    1 cup dark chocolate chips
    1 cup golden raisins
    1 cup chopped walnuts

Zucchini:
    1 cup grated zucchini

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease very well.
    1. For the basic cookie: Cream together the butter, sugars, and salt. Add the vanilla and eggs and beat again.
    2. Add the flour and baking soda to the creamed ingredients and beat until well dispersed, scraping the sides of the mixing bowl once. The dough will be thick like clay.
    3. For the inclusions: Add the chocolate chips, raisins, and walnuts and beat until just mixed.
    4. For the zucchini: Add the zucchini until just combined. The water in the zucchini will transform the dough to a medium batter. Stop once it is combined or you will continue to force water from the zucchini and your batter will be too runny.
    5. To Bake: Using a large ice cream scoop, scoop mounds of dough onto the prepared sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until done. The tops of the cookies should look wet and the edges should be starting to brown. Immediately remove the cookies from the sheet to racks to cool. Repeat with the rest of the batter.

Baker�s notes:
    These are large cookies--which is some of their appeal. If you make smaller cookies, reduce baking times.

• sally_grower
    11 years ago

Zapple Pie, tastes just like apple pie!

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Can you please post the recipe for Zapple pie?

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Lots of different recipes for Zapple Pie. Google pulls up 8-10 of them. But it is basically just a favorite apple pie recipe that calls for pre-cooked filling with sliced zucchini subbed for the apple slices. Some add additional sugar to taste, some use a regular top crust and some use crumble crust (streusel) topping.

Dave

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Thanks - I found one earlier on Cooks.com but if someone here had a recipe they were particularly fond of, I'd appreciate it.

My sister is the pie baker in the family, mine don't tend to turn out that nice - the 2-crust pies that is. I make a mean pumpkin pie!

• MLcom
    10 years ago

Zuck time comming here soon, ie plants in the ground or seeds. So bumping this up to the top in case you have some thing to add or just want to review it. I love zuck lasagna and bread. Want to try the pineapple thing too. enjoy.

ML

• Christina818
    10 years ago

Thanks for the great recipes! We planted heirloom zucchini seeds this year and they are coming in strong. We will have tons in no time. I so glad to be able to add some recipes to bag of tricks. I have a great recipe for zucchini bread. I have tried many zucchini bread recipes in the past and this is the very best bread! It is very moist. I'm sure you will love it!

Zucchini Bread

1 c zucchini
    3/4 c nuts (optional)
    1 c any dried fruit (optional)
    1 1/4 c flour
    3/4 c sugar
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    2 eggs
    1/2 c melted butter
    1/2 c vanilla yogurt
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp citrus zest

Pre heat oven to 350â¢.

Grate zucchini, dry and set aside in small bowl.

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg in large bowl and set aside.

In medium bowl whisk eggs, melted butter, yogurt, vanilla and zest. Fold into bowl of dry ingredients. Mix well. Add zucchini, nuts and dried fruit. Place in prepared 9X5 pan.

This recipe can be easily double. Enjoy!

~Tina~

• twolips
    10 years ago

I see you are still trying to reach 101! I have one to add, it's similar to Karencon's zucchini patties.

NUTTY CHEESY ZUCCHINI PATTIES
    2 c grated zucchini
    1/2 c grated sharp cheddar cheese
    2/3 c chopped nuts (your choice, I like walnuts)
    1 c Bisquick
    1 egg
    Veg. oil for frying

Thoroughly mix all ingredients. Form patties and fry in an oiled pan until lightly browned. Serve with a dallop of sour cream.

My kids liked to put ketchup on theirs. I have also only used half of the recipe, and put the rest in the fridge to make the following day.

• steve333_gw
    10 years ago

A bunch of good ideas here, but one I had not seen that is especially good for those baseball bat zukes is to make chicken feed out of them.

Easy to do, cut the larger ones in half and let the chickens go for them (they may have problems with squashes that have a more formed skin on them, that's why I cut them).

My hens love squash, and it allows you to convert some of those big squash to eggs instead of just feeding the compost pile.

• beesneeds
    10 years ago

I like to dehydrate zucchini. Shred and dry out, and store in the pantry.

I can rehydrate it for a lot of dishes like soups stews, casseroles, cold or hot pasta salads, tomato sauce... or grind it up into powder to add to dips, dressings, seasoning mixes, to sprinkle onto baked potatoes.. Sprinkle some dry and not ground up onto a pizza or stirred into mac and cheese for a little extra veggie kick.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

I just composted about a dozen 10-lb zukes (yes, that's right, 2 trash bags I couldn't lift, each with app 6 zukes, had to get DH and DS to pick them up and 1 stem poked a hole through the mesh-reinforced bag) from my dad's garden. These hadn't been hiding for 3 days - he'd let them go more like 3 weeks. Too bad the grange fair is mid-Oct, I'm sure if he had kept 1 going that long it would have won largest zuke prize.

I didn't think of my uncle's and cousin's chickens...

I do have 4 smaller ones - maybe 3-4 pounders (each) I'm going to try, I've never eaten golden zukes before.

• murkey
    10 years ago

I have a cookbook that has a food-related quote on each page. One of my favourites is :

"The first time I saw a zucchini, I tried to kill it with a hoe."

• NilaJones
    10 years ago

I made a paleo-esque zucchini bread the other day, with ground hazelnuts instead of flour, plus walnuts and dried semi-ripe (tart) grapes from this spring.

I only put 1/4cup sugar, because I like it just slightly sweet.

It was amazing! One of my best ever cooking experiments :).

• seysonn
    10 years ago

AN OLD THREAD RESURRECTED.

I like zukes in the begnning of the season then I get tired of them.
    Zukes are mostly water and have very lttle texture.
    I like the three ways"

1- cut into quarted chunks , saute' with qarlic, mix with other greens.

2- cut into rings, marinate in oil, grill. Brush with oil while doing it, You can pan fry them too.

3- Take slim ones. Cut rings the size of white mushroom, batter, deep fry,

I never like them in soups or any recipe' that neekds to be cooked a while, because they get mushy.

• cabrita
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Do we have 101 uses yet? I should recompile. No zuchs for me this year though.