Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwannouncements

GardenWeb needs your feedback!

gwannouncements
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, we've been sprucing up the site a bit. Among other things, we've added new ways to upload photos and email notifications of post replies. We are still cleaning out cobwebs and weeding some areas of the site, but we are also working on some bigger projects like a better search engine (yay!) and a mobile app. We'd also like to get some feedback from you. What enhancements or additions would you like to see? What do you love? What do you hate? Think big and small!

We can't promise the moon, but please know that we will read and consider every one of your ideas and suggestions. We appreciate your loyalty and dedication to our site and we know how important your community is to you. Help us make it even better!

Please use this post to offer your feedback. But, as always, you are welcome to contact me directly by clicking on my profile page.

Best regards,

Tamara Amey

GardenWeb Community Manager

Comments (7)

• PlantsAndYarn
    11 years ago

I would like to be able to see a listing of the questions I post under my account. It would be great if I could also see the postings I replied to under my account. It's kinda hard to remember all the different places I posted a question or trying to see what is going on in a posting I replied to.

I am new here, so if this is already an option let me know how to set it up. I don't want replies or questions going to my email. I just want to check on my account here. Thank You.

• thatcompostguy
    11 years ago

I love the variety of forums. plenty of specific forums to hone in on what you're looking for.

I hate the variety of forums. So many that are similar and could probably be combined for simplicity. Questions I think to ask in one forum should actually be asked in another. And in many cases, it has already been asked and answered. i do searches before asking new questions.

I like that there is traffic here at GardenWeb in general all year round. I'm a member of other forums that pretty much turn into ghost towns in the winter. Granted, that's not a feature anybody has any control over, but I do like it.

And at the risk of jinxing it, I like that it's still free after all these years. i know we used to be able to donate if we wanted to, but haven't noticed those "ads" in quite a while. I guess since iVillage took over.

I like the simplicity overall. No avatars, no flashy smiley faces, just words and links and pictures. It's nice. Kind of like a throwback to usenet days before the world wide web was commercialized. Though there is plenty of commercialization here, it's not invasive in the parts we come here for.

I do not like the textual pop-ups, or whatever you call them. Those highlighted words that you mouse over and an ad pops up. Those are annoying. But they are avoidable and not so much of a nuisance that I would quit coming here just because of them.

• thatcompostguy
    11 years ago

It would be nice if I could go back and edit a post I made earlier. I understand there are issues with flow of the thread that might be affected, but there could also be a time limit of two or three hours attached so it becomes permanent after some amount of time. It would help with those mispeled words and incomplete train of

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

I hate the variety of forums. So many that are similar and could probably be combined for simplicity.

I would have to disagree with that, strongly. As a member back when the forums were "simple" I can recall when the Vegetable Gardening forum was inundated with nothing but organic gardeners, tomato questions, hot pepper questions, composting questions, seed saving questions, harvest/storage questions, etc. and the effort required to get those topic-specific forums developed. I would hate to see things go back the other way.

There is limited storage on each forum and really great, informative, and well written discussions are lost everyday as they get bumped off by redundant basic questions and 'wrong forum' posts (sigh). The current Related Forums links we have, while not perfect, are totally ignored by most and probably still would be even if in all caps flashing rainbow colored html.

And that leads to my biggest wish (aside from a better search engine) - BIG archives with easy access. Flagged/tagged vital discussions that could be archived almost indefinitely and C&P'd or linked into current questions.

Feasible? Probably not. But it is currently wasted wealth I sure wish could be saved.

Dave

• posieh
    11 years ago

Let's have a "Saving Pennies" forum. the present economy is forcing lots of us to save pennies on just about everything. Dad used to say: "ten pennies makes a dime. Ten dimes makes a dollar", etc. For instance: make your own face cleanser, empty those candle containers and use the wax over, cover a hole in your favoritew sweat shirt with a neat logo. etc.

• gwannouncements
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone!

You asked and we listened. Today we are very excited to be debuting our newest feature -- post editing! To use this feature, go back to the post you wish to correct and you'll find the link under the 'My Clippings' links on the right side of the page.

I want to give a special shout out to all the testers who tried to break the editing tool. ;) Your feedback was insightful and invaluable. Thank you!

You may have also noticed that we adjusted the login cookie awhile back so that you should not have to login repeatedly.

Stay tuned -- we have more cool things in the works!

As always, please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best regards,
    Tamara

• gardenman101
    11 years ago

I want a video forum/section where people can post videos about thier gardens, projects, how-to's, canning, harvesting, planting, cus sometimes to watch it is so much easier then to read it. I hope we see more then just editing. And I agree, id like to see an archive of old posts. There are a few people who are no longer with us that were a wealth of information, and we can no longer share that wealth cus its gone. And it used to be if you typed your name into the search engine all your posts and posts you responded to would pop up, im taking it that is no longer the case?

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company