Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tim45z10

canning lids

tim45z10
11 years ago

If I take a canning jar and use it with a refrigerated item. Is the lid now considered used?

Thank you for your help.

Tim

Comments (9)

• readinglady
    11 years ago

No. But another option is to carefully remove a used lid, mark it with a grease pencil X and use that for refrigerated foods.

Carol

• norwayaha
    11 years ago

Okay, what about if you "prep" to many lids in hot water for canning and do not need the extra. I assumed that I would need 5 lids. So I boiled all 5. But only needed 4.

I usually toss the extra lid in the recycle bin. To scared to reboil the lid. and use it later. I am sure I am wasting lids but it is not worth the fear of getting sick.

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

I buy the plastic screw-on lids in the canning section of Walmart to use in the refrigerator. They come several to a box and are very cheap.

I don't boil the lids that I use in canning, just drop them in hot water. I'll be interested to hear what others say.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Current canning jar lids are not intended to be "boiled". That was only for the old rubber sealant lids. The lids for several decades now have been silicone-based sealant and are only lightly simmered in hot water.

If too many lids are heated and then not used they can safely be considered UN-used and reheated again for use later. That is the advantage of silicone.

As Carol said above, a lid used just for refrigeration is not a "used" lid. Used lids are those that have been vacuum sealed with heat onto a jar and in place, sealed, for more than 24-48 hours.

Dave

• foonyah
    11 years ago

You can turn new lids upside down when using them to store in the frig. They seal well enough for general use. That way, you're not denting the rubber. I also store them with lids upside down and rings on once they're washed. But, face it, if you're only talking about a few jars, why not use the old lids. Keep a bunch and clean them for frig storage. That way you don't worry about whether they're new or old.

• gardenman101
    11 years ago

I tend to save the used lids and mark them as well (as stated above) and use them to store dry goods that get vacumed sealed, works great. I als to use them in refrigerated stuff that needs no canning.

• psittacine
    11 years ago

Some plastic lids on store-bought mayo (usually lighter blue or white ones) fit perfectly on standard canning jars once opened, or to store dry goods in. I have collected so many now that I also use them to store some of the cleaned jars with one on to keep it clean until needed again.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

If you can find Classico quarts (I buy them at BJ's) those fit RM jars and fit tighter than the white plastic Ball lids. Classico changed the lids on their 24oz jars though and they don't fit anymore.

Just be sure to let leftovers cool before using the lids b/c they will seal if you put them on when the contents are hot (I know, botulism not as much a concern in the fridge but I still worry about it with low-acid stuff like baked beans and soup).

• pqtex
    11 years ago

I haven't tried this yet, but I saw a tip that the shaker top on parmesan cheese will fit the regular mouth canning jars.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES