Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pumpkin skins edible? If drying and powdering the pumpkin...

Posted by merrybookwyrm 7/8 dfw (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 8, 10 at 16:08

I had this stoopid question-- are the skins from pumpkins and squash, that are normally discarded, edible? I had been thinking that the skins were discarded because they are not palatable, rather than that they are not edible because of poisonousness or something.

So, if one were drying and powdering pumpkin and squash, does the skin taste bad? Or roasting pumpkin pieces a la roasted peppers?

Minds avoiding work want to know...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pumpkin skins edible? If drying and powdering the pumpkin...

They're edible, its just aesthetics. I have a neighbor who makes a wonderful squash / bean / fall greens stew, and she just chops the whole thing up.

I should mention that if you have some small, immature winter squash as the frost approaches, they're wonderful diced up and eaten like any summer squash. If you're lucky, there's a point in there where the flavor is extraordinary - sweet and complex.

o

Thank you!

o

Not inedible in the sense of poisonous, but often too tough/woody to eat. It varies a lot on the variety, some are tougher than others. Hubbard, for example, is often like wood. The skins on butternuts are often quite tender when cooked with some liquid.

o

I almost always eat the skins of small squash. You can tell with the side of your fork. After cooking, if you can cut it with ease, you can eat it. I actually like the textural difference between the skin and the flesh of small winter squashes.
Jim in So Calif

o

I've roasted and eaten the skins on both Delicata and Kabocha squash. I like to those varieties specifically b/c I don't need to peel them.

o

We use the skins to make baked chips - they're pretty good. Our family made a video showing some tips:

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Video - Baked Pumpkin Chips

o

Pumpkin and squash skins are excellent for your diet. I used to throw them away. Now that I am prediabetic, I am eating them to help manage my blood sugar and to increase my fiber intake.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here