Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ophelia3556

Condiment Shop in Highlands,NC

ophelia3556
14 years ago

Does anyone remember the Condiment Shop in Highlands, NC? I am in my 50's now, but remember going there as a child and much younger adult. It was filled with yummy things, all canned there in Highlands. They made an onion relish that my family scarfed down by the casefull.It was sweet and bright yellow with celery seed and maybe mustard seed in it. Any chance at all anyone would remember that shop or anyone connected with it? I would love to try to make some of that relish! Thanks.

Comments (10)

• ruthieg__tx
    14 years ago

Is it possible that it could be the same one that google lists in Highlands NC called Hen House Condiment Shop..

Here is a link that might be useful: check this out.

• kathy_in_washington
    14 years ago

Bossmare, it looks like Ruthieg found your shop. However, if you'd like to try making some Onion Relish of your own, you might like the recipe below from Recipezaar.

Walla Walla onions are only available for a few weeks in the summer. (They're sweet, but don't store well.) There are other varieties of sweet onions you could use in this recipe, too -- like Vidalia.

Good luck,
    Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Walla Walla Onion Relish recipe from Recipezaar.

• ophelia3556
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I will investigate both! Thanks so much. I was told the shop closed when the original owner passed away several years ago. Maybe this is a continuation. If not, I can try to duplicate.

• ruthieg__tx
    14 years ago

I was going to suggest to you also that turmeric probably made the color, and you will note the recipe that Kathy posted it calls for turmeric...That is probably what made it bright yellow.

• ophelia3556
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I called the hen house and they are not related to the original shop. I had heard that the owner had passed away some years ago. I will try the recipe and see how close it is. Thanks again.

• kathy_in_washington
    14 years ago

Bossmare, sorry that Ruthie's suggestion didn't work. Will you report how the onion relish turns out? I don't know if you're going to try it soon, but all of us here love to hear about good recipes.

Thanks,
    Kathy

• hisfamily
    10 years ago

The Condiment Shop in Highlands, NC is no longer in business, as you know. The granddaughter of the woman who owned it makes the onion relish and iced green tomatoes still. There is a beauty parlor in Cashiers called Shear Sensations where you can get these two items. Their phone # is 828-743-2900. Don't think they mail out. But they do know the girl - think her name was Chris - so maybe they can tell you how to get someone or another shop who has her products to mail them to you. Joined my first forum ever, just to tell you this. Good luck. I understand the nostalgia.

• HU-304267902
    2 years ago

The lady who owned and ran that condiment shop in Highlands was Liz Edwards. She lived in a beautiful house by a lake, and she was well known for her condiments. I remember a vegetable relish she made called Chow Chow, and I loved her jams! Liz Edwards was also known for the fact that she whistled while traipsing through the woods collecting berries! She was a remarkable, quite memorable lady. My father was the Presbyterian minister in Highlands for a while in the 1950’s.

• Robert (GPW MI Zone 6)
    2 years ago

This looks delicious. Being always concerned, I assume the recipe is safe to can, even if you use other peppers (but keep the quantity the same). Yes?

• annie1992
    2 years ago

Robert, pickled vegetables are generally safe with a 50/50 brine of 5% vinegar and water or other liquid. Since that onion relish recipe has only vinegar and no other liquid at all, it should be fine to water bath. Varieties of peppers can be interchanged in safe recipes, as long as the total amount remains the same.

Happy Canning!

Annie