Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning Salsa in Quarts?

Posted by tannabanana 5a IA (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 17, 08 at 16:18

Does anyone have an approved recipe for canning tomato salsa (red or green) in quarts? I'd appreciate it as I have many more quart than pints and I like having the quart size for cooking with...

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning Salsa in Quarts?

Sorry but as far as I know there are no approved recipes for salsa in quarts. It has come up for discussion several times in the past and if I remember correctly, the answer is always no.

Aside from the fact that no processing times have been tested for quarts, long term storage safety becomes an issue since salsa is eaten fresh but seldom a whole quart at a time. ;)

There is one possible exception to the NCHFP rule of pints only and that is Annie's Salsa recipe (100's of posts here on it). I "think" it may have been approved for quarts but don't take my word for it. Others will know for sure as I make it only in pints.

Dave

o

No quarts other than one specific recipe for this ome below.
It is a sauce. If a recipe says pints, never use a large size jar than called for. It will make the food unsafe. Annie's is in pints only or smaller, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mexican tomato sauce.

o

Wasn't Annie's Salsa tested for quarts? If I remember correctly, it was 20 minutes in a BWB.

o

Annie's salsa previously included a time for quarts but the Extension agency that approved her recipe no longer recommends quarts for any salsa, including Annie's recipe.

Carol

o

Thanks for the clarification on that Carol. I couldn't remember for sure. I know NCHFP never approved them in all their testing.

Dave

o

Thanks for the info, I do appreciate it! I may make the Mexican Tomato Sauce and throw in cumin instead of the oregano. I like cooking pork roasts in the crockpot with salsa but the MTS will probably give a similar flavor.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here