Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to do with onions?

Posted by casi 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 6, 12 at 16:26

We just cleaned up our garden and found a bag full of onions. We have just been pulling them as we needed them. Besides chopping them up and putting in the freezer, what can I do with them. I was told to tie them together and hang them...where?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to do with onions?

Chop and dehydrate them. They will store indefinitely in a mason jar when dried and have unlimited uses. You can also slice and pickle them (couple of discussions on doing this here right now).

Bundling and hanging in a cool, dry, dark environment will keep them for a while but how long all depends on the variety. In time they will sprout and then rot, sweet varieties within a month, storage varieties within a couple of months.

So if you don't want to dehydrate or pickle them then freezing them chopped and in measured portions is the best option.

Dave

o

You can also carmelize them first (crockpot works well), then freeze. Reduces the space needed a bit.

Deanna

o

If you have a CrockPot / Slow Cooker, I 2nd the caramelizing idea.

We (GF & I) do a few batches every year. They come in really handy for beef dishes, soups, on sandwiches and burgers, canapes etc. etc.

See link below for a recipe. We use the suggestion of one reviewer and sub chicken broth for the butter. They turn out great either way.

Here is a link that might be useful: Caramelized Onions

o

So, after dehydrating or doing the carmelizing method, how do you freeze them?
I suppose the dehydrated ones could be frozen in a jar to be scooped out as needed, but how do you best freeze the carmelized ones? It seems like they would freeze in a big lump.
Do you freeze them in an ice tray, wrapped in waxed or plastic wrap or what is your best method???? Baggies seem rather wasteful. Nancy

o

I portion them into freezer containers and then Foodsaver the frozen blocks. We like onion soup a lot so I make soup size blocks.

o

Ditto jxbrown re freezing caramelized onions.

For dried, like spices, you don't have to freeze as long as you store in an air tight jar and store away from heat in a dark location. I have a Mason jar attachment for my FoodSaver so I vacuum seal my dried goods for that extra peace of mind... I'm nuts ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here