Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
canning jar leaked..still sealed?

Posted by beverlyr z5 Ohio (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 2, 11 at 16:28

I'm canning pickled beets. 3 pint jars and 1 quart. Left 1/4-1/2 in. headroom. The quart jar was barely covered with water because my pan wasn't tall enough. When I was taking the jar out, it slipped, fell into the water and leaked into the water. When I did get it out, the lid 'popped' almost immediately. Actually, a pint leaked also, but appears to have sealed also. The lids are not real easy to tell if they have sealed. Does this sound like it will be safe if not refrigerated? Have you had this happen to you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: canning jar leaked..still sealed?

1/4-inch headroom isn't sufficient and may have increased the likelihood of leaking.

I haven't BWB quarts in some time but I do remember how difficult it can be to remove jars without some tipping or tilting, not to mention the risk of slippage.

Yes, it's possible to have liquid seep from a jar and still get a good seal. All you can do is observe within the 24-hour period as jars cool. If they stay sealed, you should be OK.

That being said, if there's any doubt or discomfort, I would refrigerate.

I'm not understanding why it's difficult to tell whether the lids have sealed. Generally that's pretty easy.

Carol

o
RE: canning jar leaked..still sealed?

It's the "quart barely covered" part that would concern me the most. Without a good 1-2" on top as called for the seal can be exposed during the processing and that makes it unsafe for shelf storage. Need a much deeper pot or no quarts.

Given that plus the other problems, I wouldn't trust the quart for shelf storage whether it sealed or not. Just put it in the fridge and use it up soon.

Like Carol said, why is it difficult for you to tell if they have sealed or not?

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here