Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ristau5741

is this a good deal??

bb
10 years ago

Been wanting a pressure canner for a while, good looking deals always com up when the money is tight.

Haven't really looked int pressure canner's in a few years. but for 43% off list. I'm considering. but need your input

specifically the ad states

"it is important that you never cook rice, applesauce, beans, cranberries, macaroni, rhubarb or spaghetti in your cooker �" these foods tend to foam, froth, and sputter and pieces of food could block the safety or pressure release devices; therefore, it is advised not to use these items in this pressure cooker."

does this mean directly or in jars as the intended use?

is this a good deal

BTW offer ends 10/31 if you have interest too.

Here is a link that might be useful: 921 All-American Pressure Cooker Canner

Comments (13)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

It means as loose food, not within canning jars, although you wouldn't be likely to can pasta products and would be following tested recipes like most of us :)

It's a beautiful piece of equipment. And a good price, but Overstock, Sears, Amazon have it for between $215-$220 too. I'm not familiar with the site you linked to know if reliable, acceptable shipping costs etc or not.

This is considered just about the Cadillac of canners, and I don't mean that it isn't a workhorse, just possibly the best for those who can invest that much in a canner.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Cheaper elsewhere.

http://www.allamericancanner.com/allamerican921pressurecanner.htm

http://www.amazon.com/All-American-921-2-Quart-Pressure/dp/B00004S88Z

for starters. Lots of them for sale on eBay too.

It means directly in the canner. If cooking things like rice, pastas, etc. they are cooked in a pan in the cooker - manual explains how to do it. Most them you would not can anyway - rice, pasta, cranberries, rhubarb - even in a pressure canner, but you could do beans or applesauce in jars.

Dave

10 years ago

All American site is often the best discounted price, but my oh my their shipping :) At least to my address, when I checked this morning that would add $47.

Amazon and Overstock both ship it for free at a slightly higher purchase price. With Amazon I pay WA state sales tax, almost 9%. Not that I'm in the market this year, I'd like to have one but my vintage canner hasn't given me good reason to replace yet.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Agree but my point was their claim that their price is 43% off list price doesn't hold water with a little comparative shopping.

But then I have to admit I can't see spending that much money for a canner, ANY canner.

Dave

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Few words of friendly Advice:

I do no know how this pressure canner/cooker works BUT , if you have go soley by the gauge to control the pressure, You will need to pull up a chair and sit by the stove and make sure you have had plenty of coffee to satay alert. UNLESS it has a WEIGHT system to automatically relieve the excess pressure, beyond what has been set..

I have just learned all this stuff by reading tens and tens of testimony and comments that PC users had about PRESTO's triple pressure weight system. This fairly new system make that old GAUGE WATCHING and playing with the burner knobs(electric or gas) a history . Do Yourself a favor and go to Amazon and read all about it. UNLESS

Here is a link that might be useful: presto weight system

This post was edited by seysonn on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 3:35

• readinglady
    10 years ago

The Presto weight is not new. The part was listed in the catalog for my 1970's vintage Presto. But Presto didn't promote it and people forgot it existed.

The All-American gauge is a back-up. It offers a three-setting weight standard, while with the Presto it's an additional purchase.

(Some older Mirro canners also have the three-setting weight and a gauge.)

Carol

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Very good Carol. Glad to hear it.
    So, good luck with it !

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I don't know how old my Mirro's are, but they all came with weights. Until recently (reading this forum) was I aware of being able to get the weights. I gave away a gauge pressure canner last year due to not having the weights.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I was just checking pressure cookers(not canner)
    I came across this MIRRO 92128A , 22 qrt. selling for $73 at Amazon. It is much better than $200. , I think.

The technology is the same. Most of them are made of aluminum . Stainless steel ones sell at a premium. They all have weight/jiggler/hisser control plus secondary safety pressure relief valve, for just in case. But with the weight system that should not be triggered unless somebody is negligent and puts the cooker on real HIGH mode of stove.

But I personally prefer the Stainless steel.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Where have you found a stainless pressure canner (not cooker)?

10 years ago

Seysonn, the mirro products of today do not compare in quality to the canners they used to offer, company has changed ownership. The new ones have springs in the handles that reliably break - you'll be hard pressed to find anyone recommending current Mirro canners.

I have one of the cooking, not canning size, and I would not want it in the larger version for canning, it doesn't begin to compare with my 1970's 22 quart that is still serving me well.

10 years ago

Seysonn, if you were looking for a cooker not canner -

I usually take a more minimalists approach to cookware, thinking the more bells and whistles can mean more to go wrong eventually, but my now-two-years-old Fagor multi function electric pressure cooker has been a cooks dream. I love this appliance and use it frequently for pressure cooking and slow cooking both. Nesco makes one similar, I don't know if the Nesco has the same flawless silicon gasket as the Fagor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fagor multi function cooker

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Thanks marz8
    I like tha Fagor. especially the ELECTRIC feature of it thay should be more energy efficient. I also like it SLOW cooker, RICE cooker feature,. Sounds interesting.