Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgkritch

What'cha doin' with your GREEN tomatoes?

dgkritch
14 years ago

Let's start a thread just for GREEN tomato recipes.

Seems like we need it every year about this time....

I'm hoping to try this one this weekend so it's NOT T&T...yet.

I've included the website where I found it.

Deanna

GREEN TOMATO BREAD FROM ANDREA++****

http://www.joyinthegarden.com/Green%20Tomato%20Recipes.htm

3 eggs

1 C. oil

2 C. sugar

2 C. Green Tomato Puree (small amount of water if needed, can be frozen for use later)

1 T Vanilla

3 C. Flour

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp. baking powder

1 C. chopped walnuts (optional)

1 C. raisins (optional)

Mix eggs, oil, and sugar. Add green tomato puree and vanilla. Sift dry ingredients together and add to other ingredients. Add nuts and /or raisins if desired. Grease and Flour two 9x5 loaf pans. Divide batter evenly and pour into pans. Bake at 350° for 45-60 minutes.

SOME MIX-IN IDEAS FROM JOY FOR GREEN TOMATO BREAD:

Mini choc. chips= a sweet dessert cake

Pecans= very nutty flavored

Raisins = chewy, great if you like raisins

Lime zest = wow, my favorite! I used 1/2 tsp. for a small loaf.

Comments (70)

• readinglady
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Botulism seems to be the theme of the week since it's come up on more than one thread.

I just thought I'd point out that one source I read said that 25% of all cases of botulism are food-related and 90% of those cases come from home-canned foods. So it definitely behooves us to be careful.

Clearly, green tomatoes aren't a problem, but suet certainly can be.

Getting back to the topic. Deanna, I will be really interested to hear how that green tomato quick bread turns out for you.

Now, here's a recipe. It's untested, but it's from Joanne Weir, and I haven't made anything of hers that's not worked out.

Fried Green Tomato "Sandwiches" (good with homemade garlic mayonnaise with a dash of cayenne)

4 ounces goat cheese or other soft, rich cheese of choice
    1/4 cup snipped chives
    1 T. chopped flat-leaf parsley
    2 tsp. chopped thyme
    2 tsp. chopped oregano
    (or instead of the herbs, use slivers of sun-dried tomato, chopped olives, capers or sliced green onions)
    1 tsp. grated lemon zest
    Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
    5-6 medium green tomatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds) cut into 1/4" slices
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    3 large eggs, beaten
    2 T. milk
    1 1/2 cups yellow or white cornmeal
    2 T. olive oil

In a small bowl, mash together the cheese, the herbs and the lemon zest. Season to taste with alt and pepper.

Place tomatoes in a single layer on paper towels and salt lightly.

Place the flour in a bowl. Place eggs and milk in a second bowl. Place cornmeal in a third bowl. Season all three with salt and pepper.

With paper towels, pat the tomatoes dr. Place half the tomatoes in a single layer on a work surface. Spread cheese mixture evenly over the slices. Top with the remaining tomato slices, making sandwiches.

One by one, place sandwiches in the flour. Press down lightly, turn to coat, then tap off the excess. Next dip in the egg mixture to coat completely, then dip in the cornmeal and tap off the excess. Set aside on a plate.

(Tomatoes can be prepared to this point several hours ahead of time.)

Preheat oven to 375.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low until rippling. Cook the sandwiches in batches, in a single layer, until golden on each side and the walls of the tomatoes are fork-tender, 10-12 minutes. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels, then place the sandwches on a baking sheet and keep warm on the top rack until all of the sandwiches are cooked.

Serve on a platter garnished with additional herb sprigs.

Serves 6

Green Tomato Raita

Makes about 3 cups. Good with grilled meats, spicy chicken stews or over steamed basmati rice.

2 cups plain yogurt
    1 small cucumber, peeled and diced
    coarse salt
    1 tsp. cumin seed
    1 garlic clove, minced
    2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
    1/2 serranto pepper, seeded and minced
    freshly ground black pepper
    1 large green tomato, diced

Place yogurt in a cheesecloth-lined strainer set over a bowl. Let drain at least 2 hours or overnight.

Place cucumber in a colander and salt lightly. Let sit 15 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.

Place cumin seeds in a small skillet over medium-high heat and toast until fragrant. Remove from pan, cool and grind.

Place all ingredients except tomato in a bowl and mix. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let rest 1-4 hours before serving. Just before serving, stir in the tomato.

I see this as one of those forgiving recipes. Once you know the method, you can vary the raita ingredients any number of ways.

Finally, this recipe from Carol Costenbader. She gives directions for canning, but for obvious reasons, I'm not including those. Keeps well refrigerated and can be halved.

I have considered canning this as a pickle without the eggs, flour and oil, then stirring in mayonnaise or salad dressing upon opening. That would be very doable.

Green Tomato Dip

Makes 4 pints

8 green tomatoes, washed and cored
    4 red bell peppers, washed, halved and seeded
    4 large onions, peeled, cut in half
    3 cucumbers, peeled, cut into chunks
    1/2 cup pickling salt
    2 1/2 cups white wine vinegar
    1 cup sugar
    2 tsp. celery seed
    1 tsp. dry mustard
    1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    1 tsp. mixed pickling spice
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup flour
    3/4 cup vegetable oil

1. Grind vegetables coarsely or pulse in an FP. You may also chop by hand. Sprinkle with the salt.

2. Cover and let stand at least 8-12 hours.

3. Drain vegetables and combine with 2 1/4 cups of the vinegar, sugar, celery seed, mustard and pepper. Add pickling spice tied in a bag.

4. Pour vegetables and seasonings into a nonreactive pan. Cook over low heat 30 minutes. Combine eggs, flour and the remaining vinegar in a food processor. With the motor running, add the oil by droplets in a steady stream until the mixture becomes thick and smooth.

5. Remove spice bag and stir in the egg mixture. Cook over low heat until thick, about 5-10 minutes.

6. Refrigerate.

Carol

• readinglady
    14 years ago

I totally forgot this Oregon State Extension document on Green Tomatoes.

Carol

• rachelellen
    14 years ago

Ooh, Carol...I never would have thought of green tomatoes in raita, thanks! We eat raita all the time here, so I will definitely give it a try.

I don't know how much I'm going to have left in the way of green tomatoes. The weather here is still warm enough that what is on the vines is still ripening, albeit slowly, but not warm enough for any new ones to form. I'll have to see how it goes. Maybe I'll get some from the veggie stand out on the highway just so I can try that piccalilli..it sounds like something I would like.

• readinglady
    14 years ago

Joanne Weir has a nice little cookbook called You Say Tomato (should be available used very cheaply) that I got the first two recipes from.

I hadn't thought of green tomatoes in Raita either, and I love the stuff. I'm glad Deanna asked the question; it was a good motivator to find something new.

Carol

• okie22
    14 years ago

OH, and we mustn't forget that all tomatoes are not acidic enough to be canned as they were a couple of decades ago. I'm sure this is something that oil's grandma would've been horrified about, and probably she remembers news stories in the 50's of where folks got sick & died over a salad that contained home canned green beans. Face it, the practice of canning is a practice. The result has to be judged by us before we serve it. The consequences are far too high to not err on the side of safety.

• okie22
    14 years ago

Lantana,
    It might depend on what part of Oklahoma he grew up in and whether it was sweet, hot, or sour or all three. You might ask him too if it was really chopped fine, or if it was more hacked up instead of chopped.
    I make one that is cabbage, onion, peppers (sweet & hot & all colors, maybe a carrot if my mother-in-law is here and insistant. Nothing in it is chopped fine. But it isn't exactly chunky, either. The cabbage isn't shredded, but is sliced and then chopped into maybe 2-3 inches long.
    I've put a link to a recipe very similar to mine. We like ours fairly hot, so I do put wax peppers, jalepenos, anaheims, or serano peppers in to heat it up a bit. I salt down all the vegetables and pour ice over them and let them set overnight before draining & rinsing and doing the canning.
    Mom grew up in Arkansas and Oklahoma and they made theirs really sweet and very finely chopped.

Now, my dad remembered chowchow from his childhood as something quite different. One year he and Mom worked out how they thought Grandma Wimer and her daughters had done it. It was very chunky, a lot coarsly sliced cabbage and the green tomatoes were sliced fairly thick (they cut the big ones in half before slicing). I don't recall them using onion in this, but I know that two of the crocks had hot peppers in them. When they got done they had 4 big stoneware crocks full. I know they salted this down and kept it in the cool room, and that they had a weight on top of a plate and that they skimmed this and that it seemed to take quite a long time to do this. I suspect that they were following a basic rule for kraut making as their method. I know when all was said and done we had many quarts of it and it was very pretty and quite tasty. Perhaps the difference was that he grew up in central Oklahoma and his mom's family was Pennsylvania Dutch and the area he grew up in had a very large percentage of German families.

• gardenweasel2009
    14 years ago

Annie, Are you the famous Salsa Annie? Back to green toms for fried green tomatoes, can you clarify the process a little more? Do you bread before freezing?

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Yes, gardenweasel, I'm THAT Annie. LOL My claim to fame....

I just wash the tomatoes, slice them, put them on a baking sheet and freeze them, then package them in ziplock bags in serving sized packages. When I want fried green tomatoes I take them out of the freezer, blot them a little with a towel, dip them in the egg wash, then the breading. Back into egg wash and another dip in the breading, and into the frying pan. Do not thaw them or they get too soft to deal with easily. Use any mixture of crumbs or flour/cornmeal or whatever you like for YOUR green tomatoes.

I dip them twice because I like really crunchy green tomatoes...

Annie

• gardenweasel2009
    14 years ago

Thanks Annie and that salsa is the only recipe I use, love the double dip suggestion, yum

• ccecilm
    14 years ago

lantanascape, here is my grandmothers chow-chow recipe. I've had and made it for many years, it is sweet.

4 c green tomatoes [about 16 tennis ball size]
    4 c cabbage [about ½ of a large head]
    4 c onions [about 6 medium sized]
    4 c bell peppers [8 - 12 medium sized]
    8 hot peppers
    4 c white vinegar
    4 c sugar
    1 tsp canning/pickling salt
    1 tsp celery seed
    1 tsp mustard seed
    Use the small grinder & the coarse or medium blade.
    Grind the vegetables and mix with the vinegar, sugar, salt and spices and add the vegetable juices from the grinding.
    Bring to boil and cook 20 to 30 minutes
    Place in scalded jars and seal.
    Makes approximately 10 pints [Last pint is fairly watery]

• kathy_in_washington
    14 years ago

ccecilm, I'd like to verify something about this recipe.

Do you measure the 4 cups of each vegetable AFTER it's been chopped/cut up? I would guess so, but just want to make certain.

Thanks,
    Kathy

• lantanascape
    14 years ago

ccecilm, thank you for the recipe, I will have to put up a batch before their next visit.

Kathy, I read that recipe as measuring after chopping the veggies.

I do have one question though - do you know the processing times for this? I'm assuming it would be about the same as salsa - 15 minutes BWB for pints?

• ccecilm
    14 years ago

kathy_in_washington,
    Yes, the measurements are AFTER chopping.

lantanascape,
    I don't want to start an argument about unsafe practices here but there is no BWB processing time. I have always made sure the jars and lids are sterile then add the boiling mixture, put on the lid and ring and set aside to cool. I have stored them for up to 2 years with no ill effects. I'm sure a 15 minute BWB would be a good insurance policy though.

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Green Tomato Bread Results!!

I made the bread last night. Of course, I am completely unable to follow a recipe without "tweaking" something so here are my changes:
    I added about a teaspoon of Pumpkin Pie spice ('cuz there weren't any)
    I used 1 c. whole wheat flour and 2 c. whole wheat Pastry flour.

I liked the bread. Similiar to zucchini bread in that you don't see/taste the veggies.
    For us, the raisins and nuts wouldn't be "optional". Without them, there's really not a lot of flavoring, just sweet (which would be OK if you wanted to frost or serve with a sauce).

Good use of green tomatoes in my book, but not "OMG! Awesome!" over the top.

I have the veggies chopped for the green tomato hot dog relish posted by bela67 (from Ball) last week. They had to sit in the fridge overnight and boy, was I glad. Kind of "whooped" last night after pulling out the last of the garden, clean up and baking the bread as well as dinner!
    I'll finish/can the relish tonight!

Deanna

• sfarrell1007
    14 years ago

I made green tomato mincemeat this year, (18 quarts) and it turned out GREAT! This recipe has NO meat or suet in it, just some butter to give it a little oooph....
    I used my food processor to chop the tomatoes and the apples...cored the apples, and peeled about 3/4 of them, left some apples with peel on, I didn't worry about skinning or seeding the green tomatoes. The lemons and oranges, I cut into pieces, squeezed out the seeds, and put the whole fruit, skin and all in the food processor, and whomped those babies up to a quite fine chop. If you don't like brandy, you can substitute Rum (dark or spiced rum is particularly nice), or grape juice.
    My recipe is as follows.

7 cups finely chopped green tomatoes
    7 cups finely chopped apples
    1 whole lemon, seeds removed, finely chopped
    1 whole orange, seeds removed, finely chopped
    3 cups raisins or currants or a mixture of the two
    1 cup chopped, pitted dates (I use the extruded pieces from our organic food co-op)
    3 cups packed brown sugar
    1 cup white sugar
    1/4 cup light molasses
    3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup brandy, rum or grape juice
    2 T cinnamon
    1 T allspice
    1 T ground nutmeg
    1 tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp ground cloves
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp ground black pepper
    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter

Mix all ingredients except butter in a large heavy kettle. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, so mixture boils gently, without spattering. Stirring often to prevent sticking, cook for a couple of hours, or till the liquid is absorbed, and mixture is quite thick. Taste for seasonings, adding more vinegar or sugar if needed... sometimes it depends on the type of tomatoes you use. Cut butter into pieces, and stir into mixture till melted. Pack into quart jars,and pressure cook at 10 lbs for about 30 minutes.

• kathy_in_washington
    14 years ago

Sfarrell, this looks like a wonderful recipe. Would you please let us know approximately how many quarts this particular recipe makes?

Now ... if I can just find a way to acquire green tomatoes. We don't have a vegetable garden, but I have friends who do and they might share. When I had a garden I would make Green Tomato relish and mincemeat, too. Back then I used recipes from my 1963 Farm Journal Freezing and Canning Cookbook, which I still use as a reference. (And, yes, I realize many of the processes are no longer acceptable ... so I adjust them.)

Thanks,
    Kathy

• annie1992
    14 years ago

kathy, I have that same book! It's where I got the recipe for tomato butter.

Yes, it's outdated, but many of the recipes can be adjusted for time and technique and still be safe.

Annie

• ga_karen
    14 years ago

For those of you who want some of the OLD green tomato recipes, check out the sites on the net for Amish recipes.
    I know I've seen recipes for Chow Chow but don't have the time to look for them right now...later.

• lyndapaz
    14 years ago

I've been harvesting and canning for a few years now with lots of help from all you "experts." I have two recipes that are just tremedous that I thought I'd share. One is for Green Tomato Bread which is similar to the one posted, but the BEST I have ever tasted. I have made a number of different Green Tomato Relishes, but have found this one to be the best ever! Enjoy.

Green Tomato Bread

8 to 10 Medium Green Tomatoes
    2/3 C. Seedless Raisins
    2/3 C. Boiling Water
    2/3 C. Vegetable Shortening
    2 2/3 C. Sugar
    4 Eggs
    3 1/3 C. Flour (I use 50% whole wheat)
    2 tsp. Baking Soda
    1 1/2 tsp. Salt
    1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
    1 tsp. Cinnamon
    1 tsp. Ground Cloves
    2/3 C. coarsely chopped Walnuts or Pecans

Peel and core green tomatoes. (I don't bother peeling, and it works just fine.) Process green tomatoes in a blender until smooth and creamy. You should have 2 cups pulp. Set raisins in boiling water and set aside to cool. In a large mixing bowl cream shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, 2 cups tomato pulp, the plumped rasins and the soaking water. Beat well. In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves and nuts. Add one cup at a time to tomato mixture, stirring well after each addition. Divide batter into two 9 x 5 inch greased loaf pans and bake in a 350 degree oven for one hour and 10 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Green Tomato Hot Dog Relish

1 quart chopped green tomatoes
    1 large sweet white onion, chopped
    1 large bell pepper (the red ones look great in the jars)
    2 TBS. canning salt
    1 C. Sugar
    1 TBS. prepared mustard
    1 tsp. celery salt
    4 whole cloves
    1 C. Vinegar (5% acidity)

Combine tomatoes, onion and pepper in a large bowl. Sprinkle salt over vegetables, mix in and let stand 1 hour. Drain vegetables. Combine drained vegetables, sugar mustard, and celery salt in a large pot. Tie cloves in cheesecloth and add to mixture. Stir in vinegar, bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Take out spice bag. Pack hot relish into hot, sterilized jars. Leave 1/4 inch headspace. Process half pints for 10 minutes in hot water bath.

Hope you enjoy!

• lyndapaz
    14 years ago

I forgot to include the yield in the Relish recipe. It makes 5 half-pints.

• ga_karen
    14 years ago

I found the Chow Chow recipe...it was in my Fannie Farmer Cookbook.

2 1/2 lbs. green tomatoes
    6 sm. cucumbers
    2 swt. red or green peppers
    1 sm cauliflower
    1 bunch celery
    2 lbs sm. white onions, peeled
    1 lb green beans in 1" lengths
    1/4 C salt
    2 qts. cidar vinegar
    2 1/2 C sugar
    2 T celery seed
    3 T dry mustard
    4 T tumeric
    1 T whole allspice
    1 T fresh ground pepper
    1 T cloves

Cut tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, cauliflower & celery into small pieces. Combine with onions & green beans. Cover w/3 qts. boiling water & salt & let stand for 1 hr. Drain. Rinse well with cold water & drain again. Mix the remaining ingredients in a large pot & heat to boiling. Add the vegetables & cook until tender, stirring frequently. Spoon into hot sterilized jars, fill w/cooking liquid leaving 1/8" headspace and seal. If you wish, process in boiling-water bath for 10 min.

I have never tried this recipe...to much stuff & too much work for me. Besides, I remember having it as a kid & it just didn't do anything for me!

• lyndapaz
    14 years ago

I just made a great Green Tomato Jam with lemon and pineapple that is terrific. I think I'll use it in Lindalou's Cereal Bars. And I tried the wonderful recipe for wine-soaked dried green cherry tomatoes with Italian herbs . Can't wait to use some on my frozen eggplant parmesan.

• kathy_in_washington
    14 years ago

OK, LyndaPaz, if you're going to tell us about a Great Green Tomato Jam with Lemon and Pineapple, you need to share the recipe! I'll be checking here to see it, and will bug you if I don't. ha ha

Thanks,
    Kathy

• lyndapaz
    14 years ago

Happy to share. Not sure of the source. I found it in Mom's recipe cards. Not an "approved" recipe, but I don't think it is risky since it is a jam and uses pineapple and lemon. I have made and enjoyed it for the past 3 years. But take note.

Green Tomato Jam
    yield (approx. 4 cups

3 lbs. finely cut green tomatoes
    1 very finely cut up lemon (flesh& skin)
    3 lbs. sugar
    1/2 C. preserved or candied gingerroot, finely chopped
    1/2 C. crushed pineapple

Stir half the sugar into the green tomatoes and lemon and leave overnight. The next morning add the rest of the sugar together with gingerroot and crushed pineapple and stir. Boil for 1.5 hrs. Pour into sterilized jars and BWB for 10 minutes.

Hope you like it, Kathy, as much as I do.

Lynda

• readinglady
    14 years ago

I think that recipe appeared in Country Woman magazine 10 or so years back, but I expect it's much older than that.

Well, guess what I found? a 42-page PDF cookbook of green tomato recipes. I expect some of them will reflect a certain desperation, but it should still be worth looking through or saving to your computer for next year.

Carol

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

Never had green tomato bread. I would try some, but I gave my green tomatoes to my neighbor. After all, she was gone out of state to get her elderly parents set up in an assisted living home. I figured after all she did for her folks she at least deserved to be able to make some green tomato salsa. She was looking forward to it all summer long. I would rather her have the salsa than me have the bread.
    Sounds like an interesting recipe, though.
    All I have left is a big bowl of green pimentos. Think they will get stuffed with Spanish rice for my dh. The teeny ones can get diced and frozen. I see no real difference between them and reg. green peppers at this point.
    That will be fun to hear about the green tomato jam in the cereal bars, too !
    And, you all know how I feel about suet, butter, oil, and flour, etc. in canning !

• lyndapaz
    14 years ago

Made the Cereal Bars with Green Tomato Jam. Out of this world! The gingerroot really adds just the right amount of zing to them. I think that's what everyone loves about the Green Tomato Bread. It has more cloves than you would expect, but makes it really interesting. Last Thanksgiving the loaf went so fast and everyone was asking for more, so this year I'm going to use most of my frozen green tomatoes in this bread and give it for holiday gifts.

• aubade
    14 years ago

This is my 2nd year gardening - last year was the 1st time I ever tasted green tomatoes and boy did I fall in love!! I've been waiting for the 1st frost for weeks, and yesterday's harvest did not dissapoint!

Just look at them all!!

(I'm sure all of you rural experts are like, pfiffle, that's nothing haha. But to me with my little urban garden with 4 tomato plants, I can hardly believe it all.)

Anyhow, I will definitely be making more fried green tomatoes (recipe linked on my blog below) and try canning some too.

Last year I made Farmgirl Susan's Relish and it was incredible so I'm going to make it again: http://foodiefarmgirl.blogspot.com/2005/09/saving-harvest-green-tomato-relish.html

I also made dilled green tomatoes last year from the blue book, but I didn't like those much (too mushy) so this year I'm thinking of trying Linda Lou's recipe from this thread instead:
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg0900292920733.html

It seems like a lot of onion for my taste though - would it affect the safety of the recipe if I 6 cups tomatoes and 3 cups onion instead?

• amysrq
    13 years ago

Bumping this thread, looking for an answer or recipe....

I am looking to replicate a sliced green tomato pickle I used to buy at a farmer's market in FL. They were very crisp and slightly translucent. From what I have been reading, it seems that sliced toms run the risk of being soft. I also read that lime is a way to keep pickles of different sorts crisp. So far, I have not found a recipe for pickled green tomatoes that uses lime here or at the GA or OR sites.

Martha Stewart has a recipe that calls for lime but I do worry about safety since becoming a regular on this board. Maybe I should provide a link and have someone here look it over.

• oletimer
    12 years ago

Linda Lou Or Dave, I wondered if you would look at the piccalilli recipe posted by malna and the Green tomato hot dog relish posted by lyndapaz and tell me if these are safe to use. I know that some recipes are posted that are safe and some are not I just want to make sure about these two. Also on the Piccalilli am I correct in reading I can use any vegetables as long as I use 13 1/2 cups total? Thanks

• oliveoyl3
    11 years ago

Do you use the small immature green tomatoes or only the ones that are starting to lighten?

• canfan
    10 years ago

that have been harvested before the last frost....Here are a bunch of good ideas, recipes and good discussions regarding what to do with them. Since I have a bushel of them, this helps me to figure out what else I can do with them.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

OK. An old thread revisited. But the subject will repeat itself every season.

WHAT TO DO WITH THEM? it is up to you:
    --throw them, pitch them, compost them
    -- Make fried green tomatoes with them
    _ make salsa, relish with them.

But I think real hard green tomatoes have an excellent use and that is PICKLING. I am amazed that a lot of people go to a great expense and pickle things like beans but never think about pickling green tomatoes.
    IMO green tomatoes make the best pickle better than cucumbers or anything else. BECAUSE they are naturally crisp and STAY that way for a long time. Also they are pleasantly sour. You'll need much less vinegar (very little, if any). I like to make fermenting kind. I have some that I made last year . Still nice and crisp. And I made some more few days ago.
    I cut the bigger ones(that are hard to pass through the neck of jars), and put the smaller ones (grape size to egg size) whole in the jar.

You can throw a few pieces of red bell peppers, carrots in the to to give it a good visual appeal as well.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Any comments on the Farmgirl Relish? I don't know if it's enough acid (1C of vinegar) for over 2 lb of low-acid ingredients, and I worry about pureeing it. Though if it's enough acid then finely chopping the ingredients (even pulsing in a food processor before cooking, instead of pureeing in the pot) should work.

I think the Tomatillo Green Salsa from NCHFP might be a better choice, personally I'd cut down on the onions a little, and I don't have fresh cilantro to make the other one anyway. What about subbing apple for some of the onion to make it more like the Farmgirl relish? Her relish got such rave reviews I'd like to try it.

• lyndapaz
    10 years ago

Any opinions on the safety of the Green Tomato Hot Dog Relish that I posted years ago? Several people have asked about its safety. The recipe was from Recipezar, I think. I have made it for years. Started making it long before I understood about approved and safe recipes. It is our absolute favorite thing that we can. I sure hope I can continue to make it. If it's not safe as described, is there anything that can be done without changing it too much to make it safe to can?

• apoem
    10 years ago

Isn't there a safe to can green tomato salsa. I seem to recall making one on here a few years ago.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

NCHFP has a Tomatillo Salsa I referred to above, says you can sub green tomatoes (slightly different taste though).

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Any comments on the Farmgirl Relish? I don't know if it's enough acid (1C of vinegar) for over 2 lb of low-acid ingredients, and I worry about pureeing it..

Farmgirl Susan's No Sugar Green Tomato Relish
    Makes about 3 pints
    Recipe may be doubled; increase cooking time by 10-15 minutes

2 lb. green tomatoes, cored and chopped
    1 lb. white or yellow onions, chopped
    3/4 lb. sweet red peppers, cored and chopped
    1/2 lb. tart cooking apples, such as Granny Smith, cored and chopped
    6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1 cup 5% acidic organic raw apple cider vinegar (or less, see note below)*
    1 Tablespoon kosher or sea salt
    4 jalapeno peppers, cored, seeded if desired, and finely chopped
    2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
    1 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)

Combine the tomatoes, onions, peppers, apples, garlic, vinegar, and salt in a large, nonreactive pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about an hour.

Stir in the jalapenos, cilantro, and cumin and simmer for 5 more minutes. Carefully purée the mixture using a stick immersion blender (I can't say enough good things about my KitchenAid hand blender; it's one of the best things I've bought for the kitchen) or in a traditional counter top blender, in batches if necessary, until still somewhat chunky. Don't over mix; you don't want it smooth.

If canning, return the puréed relish to a boil, then ladle the hot mixture into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch head space. Process 15 minutes in a waterbath canner. Store in a cool, dark place.
    ---------------

Probably enough added acid. Green tomatoes are acidic and It has the apples too. It is more of a chutney recipe than a relish. But I agree that it probably shouldn't be pureed either way.

---------------

Isn't there a safe to can green tomato salsa. I seem to recall making one on here a few years ago.

Yes there are several including http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_salsa/tomatillo_green_salsa.html which calls for tomatillos but can be made with green tomatoes. You can actually make any approved salsa recipe with green tomatoes as long as you compensate for their lack of juice. It tends to be overly dry and so overly dense. Plan to add water, apple juice, white grape juice or tomato juice to get the proper sloppy texture for safe canning.

------------

Any opinions on the safety of the Green Tomato Hot Dog Relish that I posted years ago?

Can't say with out seeing the recipe itself. Recipezar doesn't exist any longer and Google pulls up lots of recipes for Green Tomato Hot Dog Relish.

Dave

• lyndapaz
    10 years ago

Sorry, Dave. It was posted above. I thought you would see it. Here it is.
    Green Tomato Hot Dog Relish

1 quart chopped green tomatoes
    1 large sweet white onion, chopped
    1 large bell pepper (the red ones look great in the jars)
    2 TBS. canning salt
    1 C. Sugar
    1 TBS. prepared mustard
    1 tsp. celery salt
    4 whole cloves
    1 C. Vinegar (5% acidity)

Combine tomatoes, onion and pepper in a large bowl. Sprinkle salt over vegetables, mix in and let stand 1 hour. Drain vegetables. Combine drained vegetables, sugar mustard, and celery salt in a large pot. Tie cloves in cheesecloth and add to mixture. Stir in vinegar, bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Take out spice bag. Pack hot relish into hot, sterilized jars. Leave 1/4 inch headspace. Process half pints for 10 minutes in hot water bath.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

If 1C of vinegar was enough for 1 lb of onion, 3/4lb bell peppers, 4 jalapenos and 6 cloves of garlic in the Farmgirl relish, I'm sure it's enough for 1 onion and 1 bell pepper.

• lyndapaz
    10 years ago

Thanks. I love this recipe. It's the best relish ever!

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

I don't have any red bell peppers - and mine are smaller than the grocery store's. I do have some yellow and orange - think they'll work?

I have to buy some organic lemons too, I have probably 50 lbs of green tomatoes I'd like to do something besides pickles with (DH didn't even want me to pick any more today)!

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

NCHFP has similar recipe - makes about 3x as much as yours. They call for dissolving the salt in water and boiling veggies in it 5 minutes, then draining. Another 5 minutes to cook with vinegar, sugar, mustard (and spices if you want), cornstarch (can be omitted - but then I can see you might want to cook longer to thicken the mixture). Sterilized jars 5 minutes with 1/2" HS (though you can always BWB 10 minutes instead of sterilizing jars). Can be done in pints.

• lyndapaz
    10 years ago

The original recipe called for green bell peppers. I used red because I love the way it looks in the jars. I think yellow and orange would also be pretty. We just got in from picking everything in the garden. We have gone longer this year without a frost warning, and even though it was getting cold, they said there was no frost warning up until 5:00 PM this evening, and then all of a sudden weather.com was issuing a FREEZE warning for our area. Picked about 50 lbs. of green tomatoes. More than half should ripen without a problem. The rest will make pickles, and relish. I always freeze some for frying, and some for that great green tomato bread recipe.
    I hope you try the relish recipe and enjoy it as much as we do.

• lyndapaz
    10 years ago

I forgot to mention that the other reason it turns out so nice is that we use the "Vidalia Chop Wizard" to chop all the veggires. They come out so uniform and look just like the store bought relishes.

• canfan
    10 years ago

Down to the last of the green tomatoes... made up some End of the Garden Relish, which is a refrigerator relish. Ended up with a gallon and a half; which will store well till next year... good thing the family likes this stuff. Will probably end up doing another couple batches of Roasted Salsa Verde with rest of them.

• pattypan
    9 years ago

CAROL, i have copied Deakin's book of green tomato recipes., just for chutneys and pickles. but many times she says " pour into sterile jars and seal". you'd probably have to look at each recipe (i haven't yet) for stuff like garlic, but in general, if the recipe is green tomatoes ,dried spices +/- veggies or fruit, in 1:1 vinegar, would that equate to a 5 minute BWB in sterilized jars? i'm comparing to raw packed dilly beans in 1:1 vinegar, 5 minute BWB.
    thanks, pat

• pattypan
    9 years ago

well, i've used up most of my tomatoes today- made green tomato pie filling and spiced green tomatoes from OSU (oregon) , and have tomatoes & lemon in sugar for linda's jam tomorrow. linda, you didn't mention refrigerating, but i did.

• canfan
    6 years ago

Bumping this thread... Just picked the rest of the green tomato's last night. Seems like our best year for green ones.... Not so great for red tomato's.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    6 years ago

I pulled off about 40 mostly small tomatoes and yanked all of my plants except for 2 cherries on September 9th and by early October all of them had ripened. We only ate a few of them and the chickens are eating the rest but I think they are getting tired of them too. The 2 cherries are still producing about 1 lb. per week but that won't last much longer because their are probably only about 2-3 lbs. left on the plants.

What is funny is I had a late volunteer cherry tomato of some kind pop up in the pepper bed a few weeks ago and it is setting fruit like crazy now.