Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crystallized Habanero Gold

Posted by nancedar z7NC (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 17:24

Sometimes the canned little 4 ounce jars of HabGold fill with sugar crystals and while I know I just have to heat it up for it to dissolve, I can't very well tell my customers to do that since it would make me look like I don't know how to make jelly. I do wipe down the sides of the pan before I let it sit overnight but somehow not every batch gets all the sugar dissolved like it is supposed to.

Anyway, when I make candied citrus peel I remembered that I added cream of tartar to the sugar syrup to prevent it from crystallizing. What do you think? Would adding that to the HabGold prevent it from crystallizing or would it prevent it from gelling or would it have no effect?

Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crystallized Habanero Gold

Cream of tartar is just tartaric acid and since Habanero Gold already contains acid with the vinegar, I doubt adding cream of tartar would make much difference. You can certainly try it, though.

I'm guessing the problem is inadequately dissolved sugar prior to the addition of the liquid pectin. Since the cooking of this jelly is relatively speedy, it would be easy for undissolved sugar crystals to remain.

You can warm your sugar in the oven to speed up the dissolving once it's put into the pot, but basically I'd recommend not heating the mixture to boiling until you're sure the sugar is fully dissolved. Cook it first at a lower temp until you can't feel any crystals if you rub a dab of the syrup between your fingers then turn up the heat.

Carol

o

Great method Carol - you always have the right answer. Thanks.

Nancy

o

Nancy: I have had this problem with the 4 ounce jars as well. What I found was this - it was not so much a problem with the sugar not dissolving as a problem with me pouring and scraping the sides when filling the jars.

I remembered that when I make fondant, I never scrape the sides, I just pour it out of the pot and then let the bit that remains stay in the pot. This goes against my "waste nothing mentality" but I make myself do it. It is the part that you scrape up that picks up the odd grain of sugar and as you know, they love to form chains. lol

Don't know if you've already figured that part out but I wanted to toss my 2 bits worth in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here