Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes & Peppers- rinse in vinegar?

Posted by bcjen 3 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 6, 12 at 17:30

Hello gardeners,

I had to pull everything from the garden due to recent frosts (I covered them for a night, but got worried as the next night's temp was even lower), and now I have a glut of ripe tomatoes/green tomatoes/plants that I plan to can.
I have a couple of questions:
-I've heard that washing the fruit and then rinsing with vinegar will deter fruit flies, as I may need to leave them out for a couple of days. Has anyone tried this?
-I dug up a few plants, in hopes of ripening more tomatoes on the vine (and because digging up the plant was way less time consuming than picking!). I've read that I should hang the plants upside down somewhere cool, does anyone have experience doing this? If so, what do you hang them from? And with what? Rope, twine? The plants are fairly heavy, so I'm not sure how this is going to go. Think it would work for peppers too?

Any advice is very much appreciated! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes & Peppers- rinse in vinegar?

I can't answer you on hanging tomatoes. Our plants are huge. But if I were, I guess I'd think about hanging it in a netting of some sort so that if there's over-ripe fruit at some point you don't end up with it splatting on the floor. Netting would also provide more support.

We do hang pepper plants. In fact, DH is hanging some Thai peppers as I write. But we hang them in the shop where they dry. We're not keeping them for fresh eating. That would require freezing.

Carol

o

I can't imagine that washing in vinegar would deter fruit flies since cider vinegar is used to attract them into fruit fly traps - and works quite well for that. Storing in cool temps is more of a FF repellent.

As to hanging the plants - it depends on where you have to hang them. We have a barn so it is easy to just tie clothesline/rope around the base of the plant stem and suspend it from the rafters. Works quite well. A basement would work too as long as you can get it off the floor.

Dave

o

Thanks for the replies! I don't know why I didn't make the cider-vinegar/fruit fly connection, I have a trap set up in my own kitchen! I have a friend that swears by rinsing her tomatoes and strawberries in vinegar, she never seems to have a problem with ff's in her kitchen. I wonder if it's the diff between vinegar vs apple cider vinegar, hmmm.

I don't have a basement, but I do have a slightly chilly spare room, which is keeping the flies away for now. I am planning to cut a hole in a burlap bag and wrap around the rest of the plants and hang them from hooks. We'll see how this McGuyver method turns out!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here