Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help. what happened Dilly Beans?

Posted by Jomama2013 Idaho (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 17:38

I heard a loud ping when I was canning these Qt. jars of Dilly beans. and when I took them out two had a pop up dent in the lids. I left a 1/2 head space. filled the hot clean jars with the green beans, garlic and dill & chili pepper. the pickle was 2 C. water, 2 C. white Vinegar and 1/4 C. Canning salt. the only thing I did was go over the 10 min. timer thinking because i'm over 2,000 foot elevation I would add three more minuets. has this ever happened to anyone else?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help. what happened Dilly Beans?

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 17:53

Yes it has happened to most of us now and then. It usually is caused by the bands being screwed down too tight. When that happens the lid buckle to get the air out of the jar.

Just store them in the fridge for first use consumption.

No need to add time. The processing time for them above 1000-6000 feet is 10 mins.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickled Dilly Beans

o

Thank you digdirt !!!

o

I had that happen with the WM Mainstay lids, just a few of them, and I had NOT tightened them too tight. I've talked to a couple of other people with the same problem, but only with the Mainstay WM lids.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here