Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
applesauce--from home kitchen to factory production

Posted by jgikegami none (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 18:10

Hello everyone. I live in Japan in an apple growing region. When my husband and I were looking for a new line of business, we decided to make applesauce. I've devoured most of what is available online about making and canning applesauce--and have tested it-- in my home kitchen, but cannot find much that can be applied to commercial production. Up to now, the applesauce that I've made in small batches in my kitchen has been delicious every time. One of my main questions is: how will mass production affect the taste and what other factors do I need to think about and control. Especially those of you who have worked in the industrial sector, if there is anything, and I mean ANYTHING, that you can share, I'm all ears. Or, if you can direct me to a good source of information, I'd welcome that, too. I originally posted in the "fruits" forum but someone suggested I post here, too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: applesauce--from home kitchen to factory production

Are you adding anything in addition to apples? Such as water, cider, lemon juice, other acid or fruit fresh type product?

I would think your local regulations regarding commercial canning and sales would impact factors that you would need to control between switching from home or small scale canning to a commercial operation. Also, just out of curiosity, what do you can in and how? Jars, cans, ...?

o

We had a vendor at the farmers market do exactly what you are planning. He had to take his recipe to a professional canning company and have them make his recipe and then he marketed the product. His was in glass jars, but not with the 2-piece lids that most of us use.

o

We want to keep our applesauce as natural as possible so we will be adding only vitamin c or lemon juice, and plan to can in single serving plastic cups. Our production process has been approved by the health department.
I guess just like anything else we won't know what we're up against until we actually start production. I just thought someone might have some manufacturing experience that they'd be willing to share. Thank you to all who responded.

o

I never done the manufacturing process but have found that spices don't always need doubled for a double batch, and so on. Kinda taste thing.

o

I think since you're using straight fruit, the flavor will be more affected by the quality of apples. I would imagine that there is some room for scorching, which would be disastrous in a large batch affecting flavor.

I wish you luck and hope everything works out. It sounds like you've done lots of research into avoiding issues from the beginning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here