Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Excalibur Dehydrator questions

2ajsmama
12 years ago

I stumbled upon an Excalibur model 2400 (basic 4-tray) at Goodwill today while looking for a Halloween wig. Still in original box with manual and receipt (!). I have 48 hours to return it if it doesn't work. It does turn on, I feel heat and fan. Want to try dehydrating something in the AM (don't want to leave it on overnight). Bought it to handle tomatoes and peppers, it might also come in handy for apples since I have soooo many.

According to the manual, peppers take 4-8 hours but will be "leathery" - I want to dry cayennes to grind to powder, or at least for "crushed red pepper flakes". How to prep (cut in slices or maybe just split lengthwise), how long and what temp to dry them at?

I have a couple of bananas in the house - would it be easier to start with bananas or apples to check if the device is working?

Thanks - I'm so excited, missed one on Freecycle earlier this year but got this for 75% off (original shipping date Feb 2010)!

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Check this post on instructions for drying peppers from last week. I think it will answer your questions.

Since you plan to grind them anyway then the smaller the pieces you cut them into the faster and better they will dry.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: drying peppers

• Trishcuit
    12 years ago

NICE SCORE!! I have an old Ronco that I bought off someone who was moving away. It's getting a bit slow and the trays are starting to break. I would love to scoop something like that. Happy drying!

• John__ShowMe__USA
    12 years ago

> I stumbled upon an Excalibur model 2400 (basic 4-tray) at Goodwill today while looking for a Halloween wig. Still in original box with manual and receipt (!). I have 48 hours to return it if it doesn't work.

Did you keep it?

I have that model and love it. My only gripe is that I didn't buy the 10 tray model instead.

4-8 hours for peppers? Usually takes 2-3 days for me at 125 degrees for powder and flakes.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yikes! Yes, I kept it, have peppers in there now. I slivered the serranos and they're still leathery, but almost dry after 4 hrs, I left the cayenne whole and they're still very pliable. I was hoping to be done tonight - guess I should have split and seeded the cayenne instead of just cutting off the caps.

• User
    12 years ago

Hey ajsmama,

Fancy meeting up with you on the Harvest Forum ;-))

I've done pounds of pepper powder each year for the past four or five years. john__showme__usa is right, it takes more than 4-8 hours to properly dry peppers, especially for subsequent grinding into powders or flakes.

In my experience, using home (non-commercial dehydrators), depending on the variety of pepper, 24 - 48 hours drying is the norm. They're dry enough when you can easily snap them.

If you are planning to grind them after drying, a little trick to ensure they were properly dried is to fill your jar with powder leaving 1/4 - 1/2 inch head space. Invert jars and let rest for two days. If no condensation forms, you're good to go.

FWIW,

Bill

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've got 4 peppers that are still pliable, but maybe I'll use them ASAP (put in fridge?) b/c I don't want to keep running the machine. Rest were done this AM (app. 20 hrs) - put them in ziploc and no condensation so good.

I did bump the temp up to 135 for a few hrs this AM.

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

With the rain we had this week, it is going to take a bit longer to get the peppers to dry. So much of your drying time is dependent on humidity in the air.

I can easily get lemon and orange slices to the crispy dry stage (to grind into lemon dust or orange dust) in less than 24 hours in the dead of winter - when the air is so dry. But last fall when I attempted to make tomato dust - after 4 days in the excalibur, my tomato slices were still not crispy dry.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

The dehydration guides on NCHFP give much more accurate drying times and temp recommendations than any of the owners manuals that come with dehydrators do. Not right on by any means but much better than any manual.

The manuals come down heavily on the short side of the clock just to convince you how wonderful their machine is. :)

And pixie's point about ambient humidity is vitally important too when it comes to time required.

Chopped onions and chopped peppers is the only thing I can think of off hand that takes less 18-24 hours this time of year unless you live in high desert country.

Dave

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH