Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pear and chocolate jam

Posted by timothina none (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 15, 11 at 18:30

I just bought a British preserving book: 100 jams, jellies, preserves, and pickles by gloria nicol. She suggests that after making pear jam, you layer the jam and chocolate shavings in a jar and then process the jam. I know the British do not follow the same safety standards as North Americans. Any idea on how I can figure out if this is safe?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pear and chocolate jam

It's the both-sides-of-the-pond quagmire and basically boils down to "your choice".

Generally chocolate isn't approved in jams here because of the fat content. Over there it apparently is.

As Carol mentioned in a previous discussion of this issue "I'm not convinced a little fat in a high-acid high-sugar product is that big a risk." and I agree. So it's your choice.

You bought the book knowing there would be many differences so I assume you are willing to accept those differences. If not, then refrigerate it. :)

Dave

o

Timothina, it sounds good. Can you post the recipe? how long do you process it after layering, and how? BWB or pressure can?

o

Well, Dave's already quoted me (Thank you Dave!) so you already have my answer.

For what it's worth, if you're going to layer chocolate in with the pear, I wouldn't boiling water bath it but refrigerate or do what the Europeans do and shelve it with the assumption of a shorter shelf life. Imagine what heat hitting that layer of chocolate will likely do to its texture and appearance. It may seize up or melt into an unappealing brown ribbon in the preserve.

Personally I'm not a fan of chocolate in preserves, so my inclination would be to make plain pear preserves and if serving for guests find my prettiest glass dish to put them in then shave some large generous pieces of really good chocolate over the top.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here