Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanwedding

which brand to buy in SS steam juicer ?

cant decide if want the Norpro or that Victoria or the Mehu -Liisa . brands

Please yall comment want to juice graPES and some of mine and other veggies and fruits I GET on markdown......

Thanks

jean

Comments (9)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

IMO it all depends on how much you want to spend and if you want to pay extra for the brand name or not.

We have the Back-to-Basics and are quite happy with it. It is heavy 18 gauge and reinforced bottom. Not to mention, much less expensive. :)

Dave

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

We have the same Back to Basics. I don't see any reason to buy anything else.

• happyday
    12 years ago

I just bought the Cook N Home because it was on sale for 80 bucks. The metal feels quite thin and light, and the handles look barely tacked on, and the bottom of the colander is flat, although it is solid just over the steam vent opening. The juice catchment pan fits loosely into the water pan with about 1/8" slop. But it works and didn't cost much. So far I'm happy with it.

• readinglady
    12 years ago

I have the Norpro, which I love. However, I bought mine for less than $80.00 and was shocked to see the price on Amazon. I can say it's a good weight and performs beautifully but I don't know that I find it nearly as appealing at $185.00.

I do think it's a function of how much use you anticipate. If you intend to use a steam juicer a lot then amortized over a number of years the higher price may cost out. I certainly wouldn't want one where the handles are at risk of coming off.

Carol

• caboodle
    12 years ago

I love my Norpro. The selling point to me was the eight-quart bottom pan in which I can steam juice for hours without refilling and which I wanted another of, and also I love the glass lid. On the other hand, the larger bottom pot makes it taller which might be a factor depending on your top-of-stove-to-vent-hood height.

Good luck with your decision; I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the options you mentioned.

Judi

• happyday
    12 years ago

I would like to know where you can buy a Norpro for 80 dollars. Reading lady did you buy it years ago or on sale? Where?

Looking at the pictures on Amazon, the Norpro has more solidly attached handles than even the Mehu Lisa.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

I would like to know where you can buy a Norpro for 80 dollars.

I think that was Carol's point. That it is no longer available anywhere near that price. :)

The Norpro was half again as expensive 4-5 years ago when we bought our Back to Basics for $80.

Dave

• readinglady
    12 years ago

I bought my Norpro several years ago from Bi-Mart, an employee-owned Pacific Northwest Chain (Washington, Oregon, Idaho). You pay $5.00 to join and that's a lifetime membership.

Bi-Mart has one of the best canning supply sections in my area and in the summer usually offers excellent canning specials in their coupon books. You have to jump on them fast. Three years ago I got a 21-quart Presto canner for, I think $53.00. I got the last one. People really watch for those deals.

That's where I got the Norpro, maybe 7 years ago. I'm not sure how long it was, but when Bi-Mart runs one of those specials in their coupon book they're just unbeatable.

It used to be Amazon would run specials on things like the All-American canner plus offer a $25.00 deduction. I got my 21-quart for $109.00.

But I can't imagine that ever happening again.

You might have luck keeping an eye out for the steamer on ebay. It's pretty basic, so your risk is fairly minimal and you might just pick one up at a good price if you use the "save search" feature so that you get an email whenever one turns up.

Carol

• mellyofthesouth
    12 years ago

Lehman's has their stainless steam juicer on sale right now.