Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robinkateb

Bon Appetit Cranberry Pepper Jelly

robinkateb
12 years ago

I think Bon Appetit really needs a canning expert on staff. The idea of a spicy cranberry sauce is intriguing and I may tinker with the idea on my own. Somehow I do not have faith in a recipe that calls a jam a jelly. Plus, what is the point of adding liquid pectin to cranberries? Especially with only 1 cup of sugar to 3 cups of fruit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bon Appetit Cranberry Pepper

Comments (6)

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

It has pectin added since the peppers will need it to gel. I agree, it is a jam, though.

• readinglady
    12 years ago

I'm betting that even with the peppers, 3 cups of cranberries would be plenty for a good set. Pretty zingy, though, with 1 cup of sugar.

Carol

• drmbear Cherry
    12 years ago

The reason I would use pectin in a recipe like this is to keep the consistency of the fruits and peppers fresh - I need to cook it a lot less. If it were me, I would never use red pepper flakes - just find a way to increase the actual fresh peppers (need to look a proportions, etc.). Although I don't like overdoing it, I'd probably end up using more sugar in this recipe, just to make it more "jam-like."

• robinkateb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

However doesn't liquid pectin need a higher sugar to fruit ratio to gel?

• User
    12 years ago

Not sure if you'd call the following recipe a jam or a jelly but my friends love it. I started with Melly's Cran Jalapeno jelly recipe and tweaked the ingredients (still maintaining safe acidity levels) with help from other Harvest Members a few year ago.

If you're looking for a spicy (hot) cranberry "condiment", you may want to give it a shot. I call it Turkey's Revenge ;-))

Bill

Ingredients:
    3/4 cup cider vinegar
    3/4 cup white vinegar
    2 cups 100% unsweetened cranberry juice (or cran apple if you can't find unsweetened)
    1/2 cup finely diced habanero pepper (or any other chili pepper per you heat tolerance)
    1/2 cup finely diced red onion
    1 3/4 cups fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
    1 pkg liquid pectin
    5 cups sugar

Procedure:
    1. Finely dice peppers and onion and coarsely chop cranberries
    2. In a large sauce pan, combine cranberries, pepper, onion, vinegars, and juice
    3. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low
    4. Simmer 15 � 20 minutes to allow flavors to blend and to soften up cranberries
    5. Add sugar and return to a hard boil for 1 minute
    6. Remove from heat and stir liquid pectin in well
    7. Add jelly to hot sterilized jars
    8. Wipe rim of jars with a clean damp towel
    9. Position lids as per usual instructions

1. Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes
    2. Remove jars and allow them to cool
    3. During the cooling, periodically "gently" invert jars to distribute solids.

Yield 7 or 8 - 250ml (1 cup) jars

• tracydr
    12 years ago

I've got some of the hottest jalape�os I've ever grown right one, a bumper crop. I might just make this cranberry jalape�o jelly. My peppers are hotter than serranos and I have a ton of them.