Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bon Appetit Cranberry Pepper Jelly

Posted by robinkateb z4 VT (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 29, 11 at 18:50

I think Bon Appetit really needs a canning expert on staff. The idea of a spicy cranberry sauce is intriguing and I may tinker with the idea on my own. Somehow I do not have faith in a recipe that calls a jam a jelly. Plus, what is the point of adding liquid pectin to cranberries? Especially with only 1 cup of sugar to 3 cups of fruit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bon Appetit Cranberry Pepper

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bon Appetit Cranberry Pepper Jelly

It has pectin added since the peppers will need it to gel. I agree, it is a jam, though.

o

I'm betting that even with the peppers, 3 cups of cranberries would be plenty for a good set. Pretty zingy, though, with 1 cup of sugar.

Carol

o

The reason I would use pectin in a recipe like this is to keep the consistency of the fruits and peppers fresh - I need to cook it a lot less. If it were me, I would never use red pepper flakes - just find a way to increase the actual fresh peppers (need to look a proportions, etc.). Although I don't like overdoing it, I'd probably end up using more sugar in this recipe, just to make it more "jam-like."

o

However doesn't liquid pectin need a higher sugar to fruit ratio to gel?

o

Not sure if you'd call the following recipe a jam or a jelly but my friends love it. I started with Melly's Cran Jalapeno jelly recipe and tweaked the ingredients (still maintaining safe acidity levels) with help from other Harvest Members a few year ago.

If you're looking for a spicy (hot) cranberry "condiment", you may want to give it a shot. I call it Turkey's Revenge ;-))

Bill

Ingredients:
3/4 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup white vinegar
2 cups 100% unsweetened cranberry juice (or cran apple if you can't find unsweetened)
1/2 cup finely diced habanero pepper (or any other chili pepper per you heat tolerance)
1/2 cup finely diced red onion
1 3/4 cups fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
1 pkg liquid pectin
5 cups sugar

Procedure:
1. Finely dice peppers and onion and coarsely chop cranberries
2. In a large sauce pan, combine cranberries, pepper, onion, vinegars, and juice
3. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low
4. Simmer 15 � 20 minutes to allow flavors to blend and to soften up cranberries
5. Add sugar and return to a hard boil for 1 minute
6. Remove from heat and stir liquid pectin in well
7. Add jelly to hot sterilized jars
8. Wipe rim of jars with a clean damp towel
9. Position lids as per usual instructions
10. Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes
11. Remove jars and allow them to cool
12. During the cooling, periodically "gently" invert jars to distribute solids.

Yield 7 or 8 - 250ml (1 cup) jars

o

I've got some of the hottest jalape�os I've ever grown right one, a bumper crop. I might just make this cranberry jalape�o jelly. My peppers are hotter than serranos and I have a ton of them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here