Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green Enchilada Sauce Recipe?

Posted by highalttransplant z 5 Western CO (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 10, 11 at 19:09

I would love to can a green enchilada sauce, the kind used in chicken enchilada recipes, and usually made with tomatillos, and a mix of mild chili peppers, jalapenos, serranos, onion, garlic, and chicken broth. I've looked in my canning books, and done a search on this forum, but can't seem to find what I am looking for. Most of the ones I have found use tomatoes, or are more of a salsa verde, rather than a smooth sauce.

Thanks in advance for your help : )

Bonnie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green Enchilada Sauce Recipe?

I had the same search and never found an approved recipe. My favorite sauce has 2 TBSP. olive oil /lb. of tomatillos and I knew the oil would be verboten in a canning sense.

Ended up water bath canning just the tomatillos. Seems easy enough to roast the ancillary ingredients and put everything through the blender as needed.

Give a shout if you find something.

o

Last year I canned tomatillo salsa in the link referenced by Pixie Lou in this discussion. It came out great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomatillo salsa

o

Why not try the NCHFP recipe? Then puree after opening.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP Green Tomatillo Salsa

o

Hi Dave,

I made a batch of the NCHFP Green Tomatillo Salsa last year, and it was pretty tart. I actually had to add sugar to it. I have a pressure canner, so I'm hoping to find a recipe without a bunch of vinegar or lemon/lime juice.

Maybe I'll do as Alphonse suggested and just can the tomatillos by themselves and make the sauce as needed ...

o

And here I'd be real happy just to find tomatillos!

They don't grow well this far north, and there seems to be no market for having them shipped in. I don't think I've ever seen a raw one in person.

I love green enchilada sauce - it's one of a handful of canned goods I buy.

o

last year I used a recipe I found on www.tigersandstrawberries.com 2007/10/03 which is an adaptation of the one found in the Ball book. It does have white vinegar and so is tart, but no so much that it's not good just by itself with chips. I did chop the veggies in a food processor so it's a smoother sauce.

Here is a link that might be useful: tomatillo salsa

o

What I like about the recipe I referenced in the thread that michelelc referenced is that the lime juice is only used for taste. The NCHFP recipe is so heavy on onions and peppers (6 cups on onions and peppers for only 5 cups of tomattillos) that ridiculous amounts of lime juice are required, making the salsa really tart and (imo) inedible.

o

Perhaps you might like Eugenia Bone's recipe for tomatillo sauce from Well Preserved? (Search inside the book on Google Books or Amazon)
When I make enchiladas, I make a fresh tomatillo sauce and then add cream to it. If you don't mind the cream, that certainly cuts the sour factor!
By the same token, you can add broth when you open the jar.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here