Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Apples - drops mixed in

2ajsmama
10 years ago

DH took the day off to help me here - he pulled the frost-killed plants, took down the deer netting, and picked apples while I cut up, froze, and pickled peppers. Well, he didn't bother to put the drops in a separate bag - he just bagged each variety separately. At least he took the ladder and picked what he could reach, instead of shaking the trees like he did with the early apples.

So, can I go through and take out any bruised/cut ones and figure that's all the drops? I lost about 2/3 of the early apples even though I tried to cull out all the damaged ones and use them for pectin or apple butter (with ACV) ASAP - ones I thought were fine had been bruised and rotted in the basement.

A lot (he can't tell how many) of these were picked straight off the tree so shouldn't be bruised and I'd like to keep them for eating out of hand. The green variety were almost all picked, though they seem to have more sooty blotch than the red varieties. So they all need to be scrubbed.

I still have 8 pints and I think 8 half pints of apple butter left so I really don't think I need much more - but would ideas for what to do with the drops now (if I can ID them), I think most of them are Northern Spy, some might be Baldwin, but small ones (I remember the Baldwins being huge when I was a kid, but these trees have been really neglected, need to be pruned and then we can thin the apples in the spring).

I still have some peppers, and lots of green tomatoes to pickle, and more tomatoes ripening so just don't have time to preserve the apples!

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Sorry but I'm not clear on what the question is? Are you talking about how to sort out windfalls from tree picked? Don't know that you can if all are mixed together but why do you need to anyway? Just to make something or are you asking about storing them?

If you want to can them just use the lemon juice called for to acidify. Otherwise just use or store them as you would normally.

As for things to use them for other than canning - all sorts of cooking and baking recipes are available.

Dave

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dave - I was wondering if just sorting out the bruised ones would likely be good enough, considering that last time when he shook the tree I thought I'd gotten all the bruised ones out but they rotted in storage.

I really just want to store as many as I can to eat raw, just don't have the time to process (can, freeze, bake) right now. DH and the kids love to take the homegrown apples for lunch since they taste better than store-bought.

If I can't be sure I got all the drops sorted out, then what is the easiest way to preserve them? Make pectin (he said he twisted them to pick, didn't tug, and this late in the year they should be ripe but one I ate tonight didn't seem quite ripe - even for a Spy)?

• dgkritch
    10 years ago

Seems like you could sort the best you can right now, store in a single layer and check them regularly for any starting to go bad.

Even if you can buy yourself a couple of weeks, preserving some of them might fit into your schedule better.

You can freeze for apple pies if you've got the space. At least a little faster than canning, saucing, etc. I've got a bunch (100 lbs.??) to deal with too and just ran out of steam after turning 60+ lbs. into Apple Butter. Needed a break!

Deanna

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Then yeah like Deanna said, all you can do it sort them now but you will still have to check them regularly, especially for the first week or so. Many of the damaged areas won't show up for days.

But if you want to store the majority for raw eating then you will have to eat a lot of raw apples. They will keep a lot longer with fridge storage or equivalent. Otherwise you'll need to use other methods of preservation.

Dave

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just like I'm doing with the tomatoes - I have to find room, may have to put the 3rd shelving unit (mini greenhouse) up again. At least I don't have 100 lbs of apples like you do!

Freezer space is starting to open up - used some ham broth tonight for bean soup, plan on a chicken for Sunday dinner (with soup later in the week).

Just wondering if I do can them, what lemon juice is called for when using drops? NCHFP apple butter recipe uses vinegar, but sliced apples and applesauce don't have added acid, just sugar, pie filling says to use it if apples aren't tart (not a problem). I hate to peel all these (maybe only 50 lbs, but most are small), is scrubbing and then throwing in the roaster, putting them through the Foley for sauce later OK? I guess we could use some applesauce even if we have enough apple butter.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I made apple juice, by using as many apples as possible, started out for pectin, but it didn't work. The apple juice is wonderful. I slowly cooked the apples for about 2 hrs to get as much juice as possible, almost applesauce consistency. I was able to leave the apples on LOW and not have any burning, scorching or sticking. I did add some water and lemon juice. I got 6 1/2 gal and 1 pint of juice, before we got tired of doing apples.

We didn't peel, just stemmed and cut out back spots, quartered them and popped them in the pan. These apples were not sprayed.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Ball Complete calls for 4 T lemon juice (equivalent to 1 T per quart, 1/2 T per pint) for applesauce. Otherwise it may vary depending on what you are making. Off top of my head I can't think of anything canned with apples that adding 1 T of lemon juice per quart would hurt.

Dave

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks - sorted through what I think are Northern Spy and maybe Golden Delicious (not so much green, some yellow with red speckles on tops, I ate one and it was very sweet). Lots were cut or bruised so I'll be making sauce or butter tomorrow. Still have a bag of possible Baldwins to go through.

Didn't do much today - last minute notice of funeral of a friend of ours. His son said "We didn't think the whole state would show up!" but more people would if they had put the obit in the main (Hartford) newspaper. My dad found out from a neighbor at 10AM, and my mom told me later this morning. He died Tuesday and since I didn't see or hear anything all week I just figured it was going to be family only.

This post was edited by ajsmama on Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 19:29