Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moogies_gw

Help - my marinara sauce siphoned

moogies
11 years ago

I've canned this marinara sauce before with great results - but this time, my DH (who was nice enough to help) didn't get the rings screwed on tightly enough and some of the liquid siphoned out. These were processed for 20 minutes at 10 lbs with 1/2" head space - then cooled for another 40 minutes (the gauge read "0") before removing the weight and then opening the lid.

I know the lids are completely sealed (they all popped), and my All American manual said and that some siphoning is not a huge problem. But I wanted to post a pic of the three that I am not sure of and would just like to get some feedback from some of you.

Thank you!

Comments (14)

• readinglady
    11 years ago

In theory that kind of siphoning is not a huge problem, though I would move those jars to the front and use them first. With a large headspace like that there's an increased likelihood of some discoloration on the surface and reduced quality.

I don't know what marinara recipe you used and whether the processing time itself was sufficient or not. I also wasn't clear on the wait time at the end of processing. If you skipped the wait time and merely removed the lid, then a dense boiling product like that is more likely to siphon.

Carol

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 years ago

Moogie, from you other post it sounds like this canner may be new to you. I don't know precisely how the All American instructions read, but in general -

"Regulate the heat under the canner to maintain a steady pressure at, or slightly above, the correct gauge pressure.

Quick and large pressure variations (turning heat up or down too quickly) during processing may cause unnecessary liquid losses from jars."

Also, "After the canner is completely depressurized, remove the weight from the vent pipe or open the petcock. Wait 10 minutes; then unfasten the lid and remove it carefully"

If neither of those tips apply to how you canned your sauce, let us know and someone can help you further.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

All good info above. I'm concerned about the apparent thickness of that sauce. Most marinara sauces look much thinner so that appears awfully thick for only 20 min. processing time.

Dave

• moogies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for all your replies. Even though I've used this canner for years - I only put up a few things each year like Annie's salsa, apple butter (both use BWB) and - for the first time - marinara sauce. This was the second and third batch for this year. When I typed out the recipe, I mistakenly (& embarrassingly) included water bath directions in my recipe, instead of pressure canning. Thank you for pointing that out - I've now changed it & reprinted. Since I only use this canner a few times each year, it seems I relearn the process every year. :)

So now that I've BWB-pressure-canned my marinara sauce ;) is it safe to eat? I refrigerated the jars that siphoned - should I just dump them? And are the others from the other 2 batches ok? Thanks for your help. :)

• moogies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One more note - I went through my (1999) AA manual and never did see anything about a 10 minute wait time after removing the weight. Under Canning Instructions, it merely said, "If using jars, allow cooker to cool by itself; do not remove the selective Pressure Regulator Weight until steam pressure gauge registers zero. This could take 15 minutes or more. Remove the selective Pressure Regulator Weight slowly. After steam pressure gauge registers and the Selective PRW is removed, the cooker may be opened safely."

I've added the info about the wait time to my manual and recipe. Thank you.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

So now that I've BWB-pressure-canned my marinara sauce ;) is it safe to eat?

Which did you do BWB or PC? And what recipe did you use? Is it safe? No way to know without knowing the recipe info.

As I said above it looks too thick for only 20 min. in the PC. The approved recipes that call for only 20 mins. are much thinner than that appears.

I went through my (1999) AA manual and never did see anything about a 10 minute wait time after removing the weight.

One reason why we recommend against using the manuals for pressure canning recipes or instructions. They are often outdated and seldom up-graded as the safety issues change. The NCHFP instructions for using a pressure canner are far more helpful and accurate.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Step-by-Step: How to use a pressure canner

• moogies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It was actually covered with 1.5" water and then PC'd at 10# pressure for 20 minutes.

The reason it looks so thick is that some of the liquid siphoned out. The other 2 batches of marinara sauce look much thinner and the jars are full, since they didn't siphon.

Here's my recipe - I have tried to find where online I copied this recipe, but haven't been able to. (apologies to the original recipe poster) I found it about a month ago, when I made the 1st batch.

Spicy Marinara Sauce

6 medium onions, finely chopped
    4 cups green bell peppers, finely chopped
    2 Tbsp minced garlic
    20 lbs tomatoes (I processed in Villaware)
    6 (6-oz) cans tomato paste
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    2 Tbsp dried oregano
    3 Tbsp canning salt
    4 tsp dried basil
    2 tsp black ground pepper
    2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
    4 Tbsp Italian seasoning
    1 tsp cumin

Add all ingredients to large stockpot. Heat to boiling and then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally (to prevent sticking or scorching), until thick. Taste, and add additional salt or spices.

Fill clean, hot jars, leaving 1/2" headspace. Wipe rims, top with lid, and screw the metal ring on tightly. Can at 10# pressure for 20 minutes.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

I don't PC, but that seems like a lot of low-acid ingredients, NCHFP Spaghetti Sauce without Meat recipe only uses a cup each of onions and peppers (plus up to 1 lb of mushrooms) for 30 lbs of tomatoes. And processes for 25 minutes.

Did yo find that recipe on this forum?

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Oh, are those pints or quarts? NCHFP says 20 min for pints, but 1" headspace so that may be your problem, but I still wonder about all those low-acid ingredients (maybe they're OK, like I said I don't PC) and as Dave said the density (given you're using more veggies and 2/3 the amount of tomatoes that NCHFP recipe does, it's bound to be thicker if yield is the same - 9 pints)

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP Spaghetti sauce

• moogies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, that was 20 minutes for pints.

• moogies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"...given you're using more veggies and 2/3 the amount of tomatoes that NCHFP recipe does..."

Also - would the 36 oz (6 cans) of tomato paste increase the proportion of tomatoes to the other veggies?

Both times I made this, I got 17 pints of marinara sauce.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Without knowing the source of the recipe we just can't evaluate it for safety other than the info ajsmama already mentioned - triple the low acid ingredients than called for in the tested and approved recipes.

I reviewed some 15 "Spicy Marinara Sauce" recipes that Google pulls up and none of them come close to this one and all call for less peppers and onions and no tomato paste. Using the tomato paste could easily make it too thick for pressure canning for only 20 min.

So, sorry but it is a do and use at your own risk recipe.

The siphoning doesn't make it any LESS safe and neither does the unusual processing so if you are comfortable with the risk it may present then it's your choice what to do with it. Personally I would either freeze it all if it has been less than 24 hours or dump all of it as there are too many mistakes made for me to be comfortable with it.

JMO

Dave

• moogies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dave - thanks for the research. I've been googling too and still can't find the original recipe. I copied & pasted it, rather than printing out the entire page.

Guess I'll consider this a learning experience and try again next year. Thanks to all...

• readinglady
    11 years ago

I am a pretty good searcher but I cannot find this recipe online. Maybe it's been pulled.

Under the circumstances, it's not a recipe or a process to feel comfortable with.

As you said, it is a learning experience. We've all gone through it and made our mistakes. The important thing is not to give up and keep learning.

Carol

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals