Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mexican Style Pickled Carrots

Posted by simplicitygardens z8 pacific N.W. (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 19:22

Haven't peeked in for a while but I'm in need of the experts opinion on a recipe. My boys would like a replica of the pickled carrots/jalepeno mix they love from their favorite Mexican restaurant. Most likely it's a refrigerator type pickle. I'd like to make a shelf stable version if possible. This is a recipe I found which seems a bit light on the vinegar for carrots and peppers even though it uses wine vinegar which is usually 7% acidity. I thought maybe to try it with a stronger vinegar/ water ratio using white vinegar (because it's all I have on hand) not wine vinegar. What would you think/suggest?

Thank you!

Mexican Pickled vegies = 4 pints
Units: US : Metric
1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
2 cups white wine vinegar
2 cups water
2 tablespoons kosher salt, divided
1 additional teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons dried oregano (Mexican oregano preferred)
1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns, lightly crushed
1 small red onion, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch slices
2 -4 jalapeno chilies, quartered (seeded for less heat)
2 3/4 lbs. carrots, peeled and cut on a bias 1/2 inch thick
8 garlic cloves, peeled
4 small dried red chilies (optional)

Directions:

1. In a small skillet set over medium-high heat, toast the cumin seeds, stirring often, until golden and fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a small plate to cool.

2. Mix the vinegar, water, 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of the salt, the oregano and crushed peppercorns in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the onion and jalapenos and turn off the heat.

3. Bring a large saucepan of water and the remaining 1 tablespoon of salt to a boil. Add the carrots and simmer until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain the carrots in a colander and immediately transfer them to the saucepan with the vinegar and onions. Bring the ingredients to a boil, then turn off the heat.

4. Divide the toasted cumin seeds, garlic cloves and red chilies (if using) among 4 clean pint canning jars. Using a slotted spoon, divide the carrots and onions among the jars. Top with the hot vinegar solution, leaving � inch of head space at the top of the jar. Wipe jar rims with a clean, damp cloth and put on lids and rings. Process jars in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mexican Style Pickled Carrots

Technically it meets the 1:1 ratio minimum for untested recipes as long as the vinegar used is 5% or higher. But like you I'd be more comfortable with more vinegar.

The approved Pickled Carrots recipe calls for 5 1/2 c vinegar to 1 cup of water so more than a 5:1 ratio, and it contains no onions or peppers.

I'd also increase the processing time to the 15 min called for with the pickled carrots and other pickled vegetables.

JMO

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Pickled Carrots

o

The name of the Mexican pickled carrots is "zanahorias en escabeche." One of my favorites too! Lots of refrigerated recipes for it out there.

o

I've seen lots of wine vinegar that's less than 7%, including 3 gallons of 5% on my shelf. Just my experience.

You might consider halving the recipe as-is and refrigerating for optimal texture and the freedom to use the recipe as given. None of those ingredients are difficult to find, even in winter, and you avoid the expense and time of canning.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here