Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
simplicitygardens

Mexican Style Pickled Carrots

simplicitygardens
10 years ago

Haven't peeked in for a while but I'm in need of the experts opinion on a recipe. My boys would like a replica of the pickled carrots/jalepeno mix they love from their favorite Mexican restaurant. Most likely it's a refrigerator type pickle. I'd like to make a shelf stable version if possible. This is a recipe I found which seems a bit light on the vinegar for carrots and peppers even though it uses wine vinegar which is usually 7% acidity. I thought maybe to try it with a stronger vinegar/ water ratio using white vinegar (because it's all I have on hand) not wine vinegar. What would you think/suggest?

Thank you!

Mexican Pickled vegies = 4 pints
Units: US : Metric
1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
2 cups white wine vinegar
2 cups water
2 tablespoons kosher salt, divided
1 additional teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons dried oregano (Mexican oregano preferred)
1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns, lightly crushed
1 small red onion, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch slices
2 -4 jalapeno chilies, quartered (seeded for less heat)
2 3/4 lbs. carrots, peeled and cut on a bias 1/2 inch thick
8 garlic cloves, peeled
4 small dried red chilies (optional)

Directions:

1. In a small skillet set over medium-high heat, toast the cumin seeds, stirring often, until golden and fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a small plate to cool.

2. Mix the vinegar, water, 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of the salt, the oregano and crushed peppercorns in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the onion and jalapenos and turn off the heat.

3. Bring a large saucepan of water and the remaining 1 tablespoon of salt to a boil. Add the carrots and simmer until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain the carrots in a colander and immediately transfer them to the saucepan with the vinegar and onions. Bring the ingredients to a boil, then turn off the heat.

4. Divide the toasted cumin seeds, garlic cloves and red chilies (if using) among 4 clean pint canning jars. Using a slotted spoon, divide the carrots and onions among the jars. Top with the hot vinegar solution, leaving � inch of head space at the top of the jar. Wipe jar rims with a clean, damp cloth and put on lids and rings. Process jars in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals