Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennem_gw

Lindac's Apple Cake?

jennem
13 years ago

I Searched for the recipe, but for some reason it's coming up showing question marks instead of all the fractional measurements (1/2, 1/4, etc.). Can someone repost it?

Made it for my mom's birthday, before it went wonky, and it was a huge hit!

Thanks!

Jennifer

Comments (4)

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Is this the one you mean:

Apple Stack Cake

6 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    3/4 cup shortening
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup molasses
    3 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 cup buttermilk

Sift together flour, soda, baking powder, salt, ginger and cinnamon. Cream shortening and sugar; add molasses and mix well. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in vanilla. Add buttermilk alternately with flour, mixing well. Place dough on floured surface. Work in enough flour to make it easy to handle, but not stiff. Divide dough into 9 portions; shape into balls. Place 1 ball in greased 9-inch round pan. Press dough with hand evenly over bottom of pan.
    Bake at 350 degrees 15 to 18 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly before removing from the pan.
    Continue the same process for each ball of dough. Same pans may be used again but grease each time. Stack layers with apple filling (below). Store cake in airtight container or wrap at least over night to for best flavor and moisture. Cake freezes well.

Filling

1 pound dried apples
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    2 teaspoons cinnamon

Wash and cook apples in water until tender. Drain then mash well; mix with sugars and cinnamon.

It's Annie's recipe.

Otherwise if you can post a link to where you found it we might be able to see the measurements by using a different browser and post them.

Dave

• readinglady
    13 years ago

Do you mean this one? LindaC has posted it on Cooking and maybe Recipe Exchange. Fortunately I had it in my files. For some reason GardenWeb is wonky about fractions right now.

Apple Cake
    4 cups chopped apples
    1 ý cups sugar ( can use ý splenda)
    ý cup raisins ( I use chopped other fruit like dried peaches or apricots or craisins)
    Mix and let sit for about an hour (less is OK)
    2 cups flour
    1 ý tsps baking soda (I like þ tsps soda and þ tsps BP)
    þ tsps salt
    1T cinnamon ü tsp nutmeg
    Mix dry ingredients
    2 eggs
    þ cups veggie oil
    1 tsp vanilla
    beat together
    1 cup chopped pecans if desired.

Add the oil and eggs to the apples and sugar and dried fruit. Stir in the dry mixture and add nuts if desires.
    Pour into greased 9 by 13 pan and bake 350 until doneâ¦..40 to 50 minutes.

Serve with cake gravy!

Cake Gravy
    Mix 1 cup sugar
    1 stick butter
    ý cup evap milk (or ý and ý)
    1 tsp vanillaâ¦.
    Mix all and cook all in a sauce pan for about 3 minutes.
    Serve warm over the cake.
    LindaC CF

Carol

• CA Kate z9
    13 years ago

On Linda C's recipe: this "Gravy" is served as a sauce? not poured over and browned?

• jennem
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Readinglady got it! It's excellent. I didn't do the gravy, I made some vanilla whipped cream instead.