Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The dreaded "is this safe?" question

Posted by gardengalrn 5KS (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 19:43

A friend at work gave me a jar of pear butter that she had made. It was out of this world delicious! I have some pears to work and called for her recipe. I had looked in all my canning books but the recipes I found were not including the pineapple like hers did. She said to use 9 cups of chopped pears, equal amounts of sugar, a "splash" of bottled lemon juice and a can of drained crushed pineapple. Process in BWB for 10 minutes. Does this sound appropriate?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The dreaded "is this safe?" question

Not a problem. Sounds delicious.

Carol

o

Pineapple is probably more acidic than pear. So it shouldn't be a problem.

o

Thanks so much! I'm working on it right now ;)

o

I have run into surprise bonanzas of pineapples on occasion like produce auctions. Didn't hesitate to can them up since they are so acidic. They were soooooooo good. Just sayin'

o

To me, it would be too sweet. Others might love it, but I would use the pineapple and pears, and if picked right, it should be sweet enough.

o

My butter turned out more like jam but still delicious. It IS pretty sweet but I love it on bisquits more than plain old toast and it seems the bisquits seem to have enough salty taste to take it. I've also used some mixed with various things for a cooking marinate for meat and chicken. YUM!

o

That proportion of sugar is akin to jam as opposed to a butter, which is the lowest-sugar of all traditional preserves.

However, it's the old "What's in a name" conundrum. If it works for you, that's what matters.

I do intend to try this at some point in the future.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here