Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommended Books

Posted by freegard Australia (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 27, 10 at 20:03

I have been preserving and growing my own produce for years BWB mainly until last year I purchased a PC I also bought a book canning for dummies but not many recipe ideas in that so I will buy a couple of others books here start at $30 and so I need some recommendations please, by the way mason jars are 250ml Regular Mouth Preserving Jar A$29.95 for 12 ,500ml Regular Mouth Preserving Jar A$33.95 for 12 and 1 litre Regular Mouth Preserving Jar - box of 12 A$39.95

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommended Books

Hi freegard - I'm not sure about the availability of some of these for you but the ones most commonly recommended are the Ball Blue Book of Canning or the Bernardin equivalent. Then of course the Complete Book of Home Canning published by Bernardin/Ball.

So Easy to Preserve is another great one and is available from NCHFP but the shipping may be high.

The 5th Ed. (2010 edition) of Putting Food By (not the old edition) is also good.

Linked a previous discussion on books below for more suggestions but if you can tell us which one might be available to you locally we can probably provide a yes or no for them.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning books discussion

o

• Posted by kayskats 7 (usda) 8 (arbor da (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 28, 10 at 14:51

If I lived in your corner of the world, I'd get the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving ... it has metric measurements.

So does Ellie Topps's Complete Book of Small-Batch preserving. Be sure you get the 2nd edition.

Amazon has both, but don't know if their 'book rate' extends that far.

kay

o

Thankyou Dave and Kay I will purchase over the internet I priced those books here and the Ball blue book $31 the complete one $49 and small batch one is $39 and I think the postage rates won't make them that price.

o

If you go ahead and get the Ball Complete Book one you won't need the Ball Blue Book as most all its recipes are already in the larger book. No need to duplicate. ;)

Dave

o

I second the Small Batches and Ball Blue Book. I also really like The Joy of Pickling. I use the NCHFP website a lot too. For pressure canning basics it's the best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here