Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pawpaws

Posted by judydel (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 3, 11 at 20:17

Has anyone done anything special with paw paws besides eat them as is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pawpaws

I invented this recipe for Paw Paw Blondies a few years back. I vowed NOT to make them this year, because they are addictive and I need to lose a few pounds.

Paw Pa Blondies, with a brown sugar/crumb type topping. Those turned out very nice:

3 large paw paws, peeled, seeded, and pureed.
1.5 cups of flour
1 large egg
1/4 cup oil (neutral flavored, I used canola)
1 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 cup of water, if batter is too thick.

Just mix it all up, pour into a 6 x 9 pan, spread it out evenly, bake at 350. When about 3/4s done, cover with this mix:

1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter , all creamed together until smooth.

I sort of just poured the topping mix over it, and once it melted, smoothed it out. Then, at the very end, I switched to the broiler mode and crisped and browned the topping just a bit under the broiler -- came out crispy and crunchy.

It took about 30 minutes total to bake.

Nuts would be a good addition to this recipe.

o

denninmi wow that sounds delicious! Thanks so much I'm going to try your recipe out tomorrow. So cool that you made the recipe up yourself!

o

We've been thinking about getting a paw paw for about a year now. After the npr piece we might take the plunge.

o

Just a note -- you might need to up the flour or eliminate the water based on the size and moisture content of the paw paw flesh -- I know, "large" is pretty vague. My trees are seedling-grown, so they probably don't bear fruit nearly as large as some of the grafted kinds, and probably also with a lot more seeds.

The batter should be the consistency of cake or muffin batter.

Also could cut back on the brown sugar in the batter -- a cup seems like a lot to me now, and they do turn out awfully sweet and rich. They might be a little more healthy with less sugar.

o

• Posted by coing z6-7 PA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 5, 11 at 23:44

I found a recipe for a pawpaw bread--sort of like banana bread--on a pawpaw site. I thought it was excellent.

Coing

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here