Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eye_love_begonias

Pressure canning soup question

eye_love_begonias
11 years ago

Hi canning gang,

I'm new to this forum but not new to GW. I generally hang out in the plant forums. I thank you in advance for your help and replies.

A new pressure canner addition to my kitchen has brought me here, and I'm pretty excited to start using it.

I made black beans yesterday following the directions here http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_04/beans_peas_shelled.html

They look great and now I'd like to try my hand at canning some of my favorite soups. From my reading I understand that there are limits on canning certain soups, i.e. no canning pureed butternut squash soup. So I'm looking to can the base for my favorite butternut squash soup but there is no tested recipe for what I want to do. I see only the recipe for cubed squash/pumpkin.

When I make butternut soup, I generally roast my squash first and then add it to the garlic, onion, carrot, veggie bullion base and blend with an immersion blender.

Will I be able to roast, cube and fill my jars with veggie bullion & spices to can my squash or is that out of the question. Reading the squash canning recommendations on the nchfp site says to cube 1", boil 2 minutes and then fill jars with the cooking liquid.

Second question is I like to use carrots in my butternut soup recipe, can I add carrots with the squash above or is that a no no? Or does this fall into the 50/50 liquid to solids ratio.

Thanks again for any guidance you can offer. I have the Ball canning book, (two of them), and have the USDA pdf booklets but haven't found the answer to my questions.

Comments (4)