Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pressure canning soup question

Posted by eye_love_begonias 9a (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 12 at 20:24

Hi canning gang,
I'm new to this forum but not new to GW. I generally hang out in the plant forums. I thank you in advance for your help and replies.

A new pressure canner addition to my kitchen has brought me here, and I'm pretty excited to start using it.

I made black beans yesterday following the directions here http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_04/beans_peas_shelled.html

They look great and now I'd like to try my hand at canning some of my favorite soups. From my reading I understand that there are limits on canning certain soups, i.e. no canning pureed butternut squash soup. So I'm looking to can the base for my favorite butternut squash soup but there is no tested recipe for what I want to do. I see only the recipe for cubed squash/pumpkin.

When I make butternut soup, I generally roast my squash first and then add it to the garlic, onion, carrot, veggie bullion base and blend with an immersion blender.

Will I be able to roast, cube and fill my jars with veggie bullion & spices to can my squash or is that out of the question. Reading the squash canning recommendations on the nchfp site says to cube 1", boil 2 minutes and then fill jars with the cooking liquid.

Second question is I like to use carrots in my butternut soup recipe, can I add carrots with the squash above or is that a no no? Or does this fall into the 50/50 liquid to solids ratio.

Thanks again for any guidance you can offer. I have the Ball canning book, (two of them), and have the USDA pdf booklets but haven't found the answer to my questions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pressure canning soup question

I think you may find the NCHFP instructions for soup more helpful. Basically you can process soups with a wide variety of veggies and stocks. There are some prohibitions, like no pasta or thickeners (i.e. flour) or dairy. But you still have lots of latitude. The squash and carrots or other solids would be limited to half the jar with the other half being broth.

Take a look at the link and then post any additional questions.

Enjoy your new pressure canner! Happy preserving,

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Pressure Canning Soups

o

Thanks Carol for your quick reply. I did read that link and came to the same conclusion you suggest.

I guess my question is this, on the squash/pumpkin they don't say to limit to 50/50 solids to liquids. They just say leave 1" head space, then backfill with the cooking liquid. My confusion is in what is the difference?
Why can one fill the jar if it's just squash, and if it's mixed veggies only fill 50/50.
I haven't been able to find the info that explains this. I'm sure it's a safety thing but how is it different. Is it a pH thing? Thanks again for your help. I have so much to learn!

o

This is somewhat along the lines of what I want to do. The difference is I'd like to roast my butternut first to bring out the carmelization of the sugars.
What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning pumpkin soup

o

Squash is low-acid, high water activity and high density, all issues in canning. Notice the processing time for a quart of squash is greater than the processing time for a quart of vegetable soup (90 minutes vs. 75 minutes). That's largely because of the density with all those cubes of squash as opposed to a 50/50 mixture of veggies and broth.

I'm no food scientist, but I would surmise that if you canned squash and carrots in vegetable broth per the canned squash time, you should be fine. Water has a pH of 7.0 while vegetable broth is in the neighborhood of 5.0, so pH isn't an issue and both are similarly liquid. Carrots are less problematic than squash so subbing some slices for squash cubes should not be a problem.

But keep in mind I'm rendering an opinion, no more than that. Personally I'd stick with the soup formula.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here